Eve Hallows and the Book of Shrieks by…

Eve Hallows and the Book of Shrieks (edition 2011)

by Robert Gray

Member:ktu35114
Title:Eve Hallows and the Book of Shrieks
Authors:Robert Gray
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2011), Paperback, 252 pages
Tags:teen, young adult, fantasy, magic, zombies, witches, paranormal, ghouls, blog tour

Eve Hallows and the Book of Shrieks by Robert Gray

I received this book for review purposes as part of a blog tour on hosted by "I'm A Reader, Not a Writer" (http://www.iamareader.com/). I received no compensation for my review and this in no way influenced my honest review.

This was such a cute and fun book! I think that any kid would enjoy this book, whether they are male or female. This series follows Eve Hallows, a human girl that was found on the door step of monsters and raised in the monster world. "The Source" is suspected of murdering monsters and Eve's Dad is asked to investigate by moving his family to the human world. Eve now has to attend a human school when she has never even seen another human. This was an exciting and cute read that I would love to read again when I have kids of my own to read it with! I loved the plot and the characters. This is a great read for kids of all ages (even so called "adults).

To see my review of the rest of the series and other great books, check out my blog on or after Jan. 22, 2014: http://bookreviewsfromachristiangal.blogspot.com/ ( )
  blog_gal | Jul 26, 2014 |
Reading this to my daughter and we are enjoying it.
  booklovre6 | Mar 30, 2013 |
Reading this to my daughter and we are enjoying it.
  booklovre6 | Mar 30, 2013 |
Gravesville: wandering zombies, sea monsters, werewolves ghouls, gorgons... all blending together with one sore thumb, a human named Eve. You wouldn't think that a human would be a big deal, there are vampires roaming about, right? Wrong. Humans are pitchfork-wielding terrors who live under a sun that will melt your skin and eat disgusting things like bacon and eggs. Who can live off that stuff?

Although some of Gravesville's inhabitants still look at her with a wary eye, Eve loves nothing more than surfing the grave fog and drinking her hot pumpkin drink. So when she learns she and her family have to leave this paradise for the human world, Eve is nothing more than distraught. Monsters are being killed. And her family may be next. They must escape to the human world for some answers. Answers that could save all of monsterdom.

I really enjoyed this book, although I will say I wish we could've stayed in Gravesville a little longer. I loved the whole world, and wanted to stay there as long as possible. I hope in book two we will be visiting it more often, because I will be reading book two. This book is appropriate for all ages, has a fun environment, a plot that will keep people turning pages and hints to help the young and young at heart glimpse into what may happen in the future. But beware, you may not be right.

I liked Eve a lot. She has spunk to her, and I really felt like the story was coming from a 14-year-old girl. In so many MG/YA books, they are told from a younger persons point of view, but it always sounds or feels older. It's not the case in this book. The author did a great job at establishing her voice and it stayed that way through the whole book. The supporting characters in this book vary greatly. It is nice to have such a wide variety of characters, but it isn't done in a way that it is overwhelming. ( )
  Dranea | Jan 6, 2013 |
This was actually a super cute read. I really enjoyed it. I wanted to wait until closer to Halloween to read the book, but I thought it would be a perfect quick summer read… and I was right.

I’m glad to say that this will be a series. I really enjoyed the characters. Eve is a human that was adopted by a monster family. She has spent her entire childhood living in the monster realm, so she can relate to the monsters. In fact, she feels more monster than human. That is, until she has to move to the human world. Once there, she finds herself having to overcome many stereotypes that she has held about humans while also trying to fit in at a middle school. The friends that Eve make along the way were also cute. I just got the warm fuzzies from them all. But I do have to admit, that my favorite character was Eve’s mom. She was from a line of Gorgons, so you can imagine the fun stuff she found herself getting into.

The idea behind the story was unique. I am anxious to see what will develop in this mystery series as it continues. Eve has a new purpose in the mortal realm which will lead her on many adventures to come. I would suggest this book to 4th-6th grade readers. ( )
  flashlight_reader | Jan 4, 2013 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,113,415 books! | Top bar: Always visible