Eve Hallows and the Book of Shrieks by…

Eve Hallows and the Book of Shrieks (edition 2011)

by Robert Gray

16None611,323 (4.25)None
Member:Dranea
Title:Eve Hallows and the Book of Shrieks
Authors:Robert Gray
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2011), Paperback, 252 pages

Eve Hallows and the Book of Shrieks by Robert Gray

Reading this to my daughter and we are enjoying it.
  booklovre6 | Mar 30, 2013 |
Reading this to my daughter and we are enjoying it.
  booklovre6 | Mar 30, 2013 |
Gravesville: wandering zombies, sea monsters, werewolves ghouls, gorgons... all blending together with one sore thumb, a human named Eve. You wouldn't think that a human would be a big deal, there are vampires roaming about, right? Wrong. Humans are pitchfork-wielding terrors who live under a sun that will melt your skin and eat disgusting things like bacon and eggs. Who can live off that stuff?

Although some of Gravesville's inhabitants still look at her with a wary eye, Eve loves nothing more than surfing the grave fog and drinking her hot pumpkin drink. So when she learns she and her family have to leave this paradise for the human world, Eve is nothing more than distraught. Monsters are being killed. And her family may be next. They must escape to the human world for some answers. Answers that could save all of monsterdom.

I really enjoyed this book, although I will say I wish we could've stayed in Gravesville a little longer. I loved the whole world, and wanted to stay there as long as possible. I hope in book two we will be visiting it more often, because I will be reading book two. This book is appropriate for all ages, has a fun environment, a plot that will keep people turning pages and hints to help the young and young at heart glimpse into what may happen in the future. But beware, you may not be right.

I liked Eve a lot. She has spunk to her, and I really felt like the story was coming from a 14-year-old girl. In so many MG/YA books, they are told from a younger persons point of view, but it always sounds or feels older. It's not the case in this book. The author did a great job at establishing her voice and it stayed that way through the whole book. The supporting characters in this book vary greatly. It is nice to have such a wide variety of characters, but it isn't done in a way that it is overwhelming. ( )
  Dranea | Jan 6, 2013 |
This was actually a super cute read. I really enjoyed it. I wanted to wait until closer to Halloween to read the book, but I thought it would be a perfect quick summer read… and I was right.

I’m glad to say that this will be a series. I really enjoyed the characters. Eve is a human that was adopted by a monster family. She has spent her entire childhood living in the monster realm, so she can relate to the monsters. In fact, she feels more monster than human. That is, until she has to move to the human world. Once there, she finds herself having to overcome many stereotypes that she has held about humans while also trying to fit in at a middle school. The friends that Eve make along the way were also cute. I just got the warm fuzzies from them all. But I do have to admit, that my favorite character was Eve’s mom. She was from a line of Gorgons, so you can imagine the fun stuff she found herself getting into.

The idea behind the story was unique. I am anxious to see what will develop in this mystery series as it continues. Eve has a new purpose in the mortal realm which will lead her on many adventures to come. I would suggest this book to 4th-6th grade readers. ( )
  flashlight_reader | Jan 4, 2013 |
Eve Hallows and the Book of Shrieks was such a fun read. It has an easy flow and humorous story that I couldn’t put down. The world building that Mr Gray created was fantastic and the characters all loveable. The unique zombies, pirates, werewolves, ghouls, vampires, gorgons and all other paranormal creatures imaginable were hilarious in their creation and so enjoyable. Where horrible means adorable and adorable means horrible, it is an adventure not to miss.

Fourteen year old Eve Hallows was orphaned and taken in by a gorgon and a shapeshifer; her brother is a ghoul and they have a pet called wolf, which is a werepig. Living in Gravesville, a world where monsters are normal people and everyday appears to be Halloween. For breakfast Eve has chocolates and donuts and pumpkin juice. Going to school her lunch is chocolate and donuts and pumpkin juice. Halloween is like Christmas and the biggest celebration of the year. But before she could even get to celebrate, murders have been committed and in fear for their safety, her parents decide to move into the human world.

Adapting in the human world and a human school is not what Eve expects. Her Mother takes her shopping and asks some teens dressed up walking down the street where they got their clothes from. It turns out they were attending a Halloween party and were wearing costumes, but Eve’s Mother didn’t realise and they bought “horrible” clothes for school. Eve’s first day of school couldn’t get any worse. Everybody is laughing, staring and pointing. The principle is not happy with her either; so her first day is disastrous. The mean girls turn up and almost fall over laughing at her because of the trick they played.

Her Dad has to run a pizza shop and after school Eve has to help out at Ghoulicious Pizza. The murderer’s calling card was left at the pizza shop and now they are worried. Eve is determined to find out more about THE SOURCE somehow and gets the opportunity when she is suspended from school.

Eve starts investigating and finds all sorts of things but can’t piece them all together. Will Eve work out who is behind the murders? Can she overcome the mean girls at school? Will she ever see her friends again at home in Gravesville? What is The Book of Shrieks and where can it be found?

Follow Eve on her journey of self-discovery, new school cliques and social status, secret societies and betrayal. I really enjoyed this adventure story and can’t wait to get into book 2, Eve Hallows and the Book of Shadows. ( )
  ktu35114 | Nov 27, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,433,367 books! | Top bar: Always visible