True Believers: A Novel by Kurt Andersen

True Believers: A Novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Kurt Andersen

Member:Cavalier80
Title:True Believers: A Novel
Authors:Kurt Andersen
Info:Random House (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 448 pages
Collections:Books I've Read, Read but unowned (inactive)
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction

True Believers by Kurt Andersen (2012)

How it felt to be 18 in 1968. I was more on the hippie side of the spectrum and these kids are more on the SDS side, but I recognized the ferociousness of their anger. Remarkable, powerfully written evocation of the era by a guy who was 14 at the time. ( )
  ChrisNewton | Mar 18, 2016 |
Vietnam, 60s/70s, LBJ, SDS, LSD, marijuana and college – hmm, sound familiar? This book was so much fun to read for me having come from a generation close to the fictional autobiographer’s of _True Believers_. And I could definitely relate to playing James Bond with others my own age just like her too. Andersen has written a story rich with character and very true to the time. Not laugh-out-loud funny most of the time, it nevertheless is filled with humor and pokes fun at today whilst wallowing in the redolent past. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Andersen strives to create a sense of suspense and period atmosphere; he succeeds at times. It is difficult for the reader to maintain interest in this story of Sixties protest and dissent that somehow has the possibility to affect the future. The story lags and it was with great effort that I persevered to the end. ( )
  cao9415 | Dec 20, 2014 |
I'm not sure if I was hoarding this or if I had an intuition .....but although I very much enjoyed two previous novels of Andersen's, Turn of the Century and Heyday, this one fell flat for me, I won't go into detail, but I suspect Andersen's true agenda was to stuff every possible detail from the sixties into one book, to come up with a shocking plot to demonstrate how a person can be very stupid when young, and that even over sixty a person can still be cool. Granny, Dean at Stanford Law School after an illustrious law career gets short-listed for the Supreme Court - turns it down because....... well..... she has secrets and she decides to 'out' herself. She's so cool she rides a bus down to the Occupy rally in Miami with her granddaughter to be the 'chaperone'. But really, it's not about her, she is just the vehicle for the agenda and it kind of implodes on itself and becomes tedious. It's a 'list' book, I could list everything Andersen wanted to cram in here, from Bond-mania to living with diabetes 1. It's just too much, and I didn't buy it and I didn't care. That said, as always, make up your own mind. Andersen is smart and he can write and there are some delicious moments, he is keenly observant and thoughtful although I don't agree that because of television we all 'share' the same memories, unlike our pre-tv forebears.... that's just romanticizing. My favorite observation was Andersen just musing, not being hip: "Living with other people, especially people I love or wish I could love, is like having music on in the background, several different songs at once, all the time." More like that, please. ***1/2 ( )
  sibyx | Apr 4, 2014 |
Apparently I missed something with this book cause I could barley make it a 1/4 of the way thru before I gave up. Might give it a second try at a later date.
3/10/14 second attempt.... same results. Not for me. ( )
  ginger72 | Mar 26, 2014 |

Karen Hollander is a celebrated attorney who recently removed herself from consideration for appointment to the U.S. Supreme Court. Her reasons have their roots in 1968, an episode she's managed to keep secret for more than forty years. Now, with the imminent publication of her memoir, she's about to let the world in on that shocking secret, as soon as she can track down the answers to a few crucial last questions.… (more)

36 wanted1 pay4 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

True Believers by Kurt Andersen was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,485,937 books! | Top bar: Always visible