Understanding Arabs: A Guide for Modern…

Understanding Arabs: A Guide for Modern Times (1988)

by Margaret K. Nydell

Ethnocentric, shallow and uninformed perspective. ( )
  AZG1001 | Mar 31, 2016 |
As a teacher of English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), I work with many Arab students from across the whole region - Levantine, Gulf, African, etc. This book provided some much-needed context for behavior I'd encountered in the classroom, and also gave me some ideas on how I might help prevent cultural misunderstandings in my class. This would also be an interesting book for an Arab reader because it reveals which features of Arab culture stand out to an American. This really should be a primary reference for anyone interested in Arab culture. ( )
1 vote jellyfishjones | Dec 17, 2015 |

This is one of those books about foreign culture that I like the best, where someone will both detail the various things that everyday people in another area of the world might do that might seem strange to us Americans, and explain why they do them; and it's especially fascinating in this case, because of covering the "Arab World," which like the "Islamic World" is a term mostly made up by Westerners to try to easily explain something that doesn't have an easy explanation. (Think for example of mashing together Irish, Latin and African Catholics, in order to explain in a single short statement the "Christian World.") And indeed, that's one of the first things that scholar Margaret K. Nydell makes clear, that there's a difference between Arab society and Islamic society, with there being a lot of overlap for sure but some very specific differences too; and that's basically the start of a long and informing look at all the normal parts of Arab life that might seem weird to us, from the routine overuse of both praise and damnation to the sometimes draconian dress codes of some nations, why straight men hold hands in public but not men and women, and a lot more. Now in its fifth edition, this is a lively anecdotal guide that will help clueless Americans like me to better understand and appreciate their Arab neighbors, and comes strongly recommended to those even with just a passing interest.

2 vote jasonpettus | Jul 31, 2012 |

1 vote jasonpettus | Jul 31, 2012 |

1 vote jasonpettus | Jul 31, 2012 |
In the late morning of 11 September 2001, I walkd from the Georgetown University campus in Washington, D.C., and crossed the Key Bridge into Virginia.

Introduces complexities of Arab culture and Islam in an evenhanded, unbiased style.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,551,016 books! | Top bar: Always visible