Paris in Love by Eloisa James

Paris in Love

by Eloisa James (Author)

Interesting style of writing - blurbs that began life as FB or Twitter entries, with occasional fleshed-out essays. Enjoyed this style, since it went quickly, and gave many different mini-vignettes of James' life in Paris. Her children, esp. her daughter, were hilarious to read about. Also, I want to know how Milo the gargantuanly obese chihuahua is doing. ( )
  sriemann | Aug 11, 2014 |
3 And a half stars,I am so using this as my guidebook when I go on my European tour ( )
  abigail33 | Aug 7, 2014 |
This memoir is based on the author’s time in Paris. She moves to the famous city from her home in New Jersey with her two children and Italian husband in tow. The family’s goal is to embrace a sweeter, slower life for a single year, savoring food and experiences.

The author, by her own admission, compiled her Facebook and Twitter posts about her time in Paris to create this “memoir.” The result is a completely disjointed book. There are funny bits and astute observations, but that doesn’t take away from the fact that the entire book is a series of non sequiturs with the loosest of threads holding it together. She’ll say something about her daughter’s difficult time adjusting to her new school and then the very next line is about a delicious meal she ate and then the next mentions their overweight chihuahua.

It was sweet to read about the wonderful meals she ate and museums she saw, but for me it wasn’t enough to justify a book. The format was too fragmented and I probably would have enjoyed it more if I’d read them on Facebook, in the original form they were intended.

BOTTOM LINE: There are too many great Parisian memoirs out there to make this one worthwhile. Read it only if you’re in the mood for a tiny taste of Paris and don’t care what form it comes in. ( )
  bookworm12 | Jun 27, 2014 |
It's a collection of Facebook posts. "Paris in little tiny disconnected fragments" would be a more accurate title, or "Paris in Facebook". ( )
  rakerman | Jan 29, 2014 |
I loved every single thing about Paris in Love by Eloisa James.

When Eloisa James's mother dies of cancer in 2007 and then two weeks she herself is diagnosed with the same cancer, she was sure she knew what would happen next:

"I immediately started anticipating the epiphany when I would be struck by the acute beauty of life. I would see joy in my children's eyes (rather than start rebellion), eschew caffeine, and simply be, preferably while doing yoga in front a sunset."

When all of that didn't happen, she decided that rather than living her life in the moment, she wanted to live someone else's life - the life of someone who lives in Paris.

Since she and her husband are both college professors, they were able to take a sabbatical and set off for Paris with their two children in tow. She is a writer, and had plans for writing 4 books, while in Paris…none of them being a book about her actually being in Paris. So, this book is actually written from small updates, almost journal entries, some even just Facebook status posts. Which makes it wonderfully entertaining and a quick read. It is a life in Paris given to us in humorous bite-size glimpses. ( )
  Hanneri | Nov 17, 2013 |

James chronicles her joyful year in one of the most beautiful cities in the world--Paris--all the while inviting her reader into the life of her most enchanting family.

222 wanted2 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Paris in Love by Eloisa James was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,113,614 books! | Top bar: Always visible