A Hundred Flowers by Gail Tsukiyama

A Hundred Flowers (edition 2013)

by Gail Tsukiyama

Member:jo-jo
Title:A Hundred Flowers
Authors:Gail Tsukiyama
Info:Thorndike Press (2013), Edition: Lrg, Hardcover
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, china

A Hundred Flowers: A Novel by Gail Tsukiyama

Joy's review: Well, one of our book group participants said it best for me: "it's as if Tsukiyama was trying to be poetic and didn't quite make it". This leave the book overly simplistic and flat. Story is tucked into Chinese history just after the Communist revolution and just before the Great Leap forward, yet there is no mention of the effects either WWII or the revolution or any foreshadowing of the Great Leap. Good book for middle school students. ( )
  konastories | May 19, 2014 |
She writes lovely books. Good read ( )
  shazjhb | Nov 5, 2013 |
This book was a Goodreads book that I was thrilled to receive. If you like Gail Tsukiyama's books, this will not disappoint. The story is woven through a family through a difficult time. You can't help but turn the pages wondering about each character and how things will turn out. I guess it's a good review to say that I was left wanting more. I'm waiting for Another 100 Flowers now!!! ( )
  susan.jeffery | Jul 10, 2013 |
In 1950's China, a family is devastated when one member is imprisoned after participating in a letter writing campaign to critique the government. ( )
  poetreegirl | Jul 5, 2013 |
I received a copy of the e-galley of this book through Shelf Awareness. I historic fiction and especially am excited about this title. I will review it on GoodReads.
I really enjoyed this story. Its real appeal is that it is about an ordinary family. The time is 1958 and Chairman Mao and his army are in charge of China. The China of the past is gone and a much more stark and dismal one remains. The father of the family has been taken away to a re-education camp because of political crimes. His absence creates a void in the entire family, and nothing is as it was before. One bright spot for the family is the surprise addition of a 15 year old pregnant stranger who finds her way to their home as she is in the final stages of labor. She and her new daughter seem to bring the change that is needed to tip the scales from limbo to action in the lives of the family, particularly the grandfather.
The author did a marvelous job of bringing out the feelings of the characters, and she made me care about them and retain hope that somehow things would work out. This was a simple, but lovely book and I am very thankful to have the chance to read it. If you like stories about families and their interrelationships, you will certainly enjoy A Hundred Flowers. ( )
  c.archer | Mar 31, 2013 |

A powerful new novel about an ordinary family facing extraordinary times at the start of the Chinese Cultural Revolution

China, 1957. Chairman Mao has declared a new openness in society: “Let a hundred flowers bloom; let a hundred schools of thought contend.” Many intellectuals fear it is only a trick, and Kai Ying’s husband, Sheng, a teacher, has promised not to jeopardize their safety or that of their young son, Tao. But one July morning, just before his sixth birthday, Tao watches helplessly as Sheng is dragged away for writing a letter criticizing the Communist Party and sent to a labor camp for “reeducation.”

A year later, still missing his father desperately, Tao climbs to the top of the hundred-year-old kapok tree in front of their home, wanting to see the mountain peaks in the distance. But Tao slips and tumbles thirty feet to the courtyard below, badly breaking his leg.

As Kai Ying struggles to hold her small family together in the face of this shattering reminder of her husband’s absence, other members of the household must face their own guilty secrets and strive to find peace in a world where the old sense of order is falling. Once again, Tsukiyama brings us a powerfully moving story of ordinary people facing extraordinary circumstances with grace and courage.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:56 -0400)

A tale set during the Chinese Cultural Revolution follows the struggles of Kai Ying to safeguard her family when her teacher husband is arrested and sent to a "reeducation" labor camp for criticizing the Communist Party.

69 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,691,353 books! | Top bar: Always visible