Jack 1939 by Francine Mathews

by Francine Mathews

Member:PeggyDean
Title:Jack 1939
Authors:Francine Mathews
Info:Riverhead Hardcover (2012), Edition: 1st Edition, 1st Printing, Hardcover, 368 pages
Rating:***
Tags:historical fiction, World War II, spies, John Kennedy, Europe, 2014 Moores Hill BTL

Jack 1939 by Francine Mathews

This book was excellent! A plausible look into JFK's younger years. It's odd to think of former presidents when they were around my age, but it offered a really interesting glimpse into the life of the "second son".

It had a little bit of espionage... well, ok. A lot of espionage, but not James Bond type stuff. It was all within the realm of plausibility. There was a lot of history, which was one of my favorite things. The romance aspect really tied up some loose ends, although at times, I felt it was a bit too convenient of timing, especially for a book.

I never really knew a lot about JFK to begin with. We didn't really cover him in history class and, even if we did, it would not have been this time in his life. I never would have expected him to be someone with mommy and daddy issues as well as an acute touch phobia. I also underestimated the strength of some of his friendships with his siblings as well as the sibling rivalry with the others. It really is quite a fascinating story. I'm not really one for non-fiction, but this book has inspired me to read JFK's senior thesis if I can get my hands on it.

Definitely a must read for JFK fans and history buffs alike! ( )
  cebellol | Jul 22, 2014 |
  ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |
  PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |
...we’re swept into the conceit, hoping for a diabolical labyrinth worthy of le Carre; a cunning caper reminiscent of Ludlum. What we find instead is a cross between Jane Austen and Dashiell Hammett.
added by y2pk | editThe Washington Post, Marie Arana (Jul 17, 2012)

For Sam
PROLOGUE

The Boy in Room 110

"...patient's 6000 cell count at intake,"
Dr. George Taylor wrote, "has dropped to 3500. The persistent loss of white blood cells may indicate septicemia. Color and texture of skin are suggestive of jaundice."

Tapped by President Franklin Roosevelt to travel to Europe and learn what the Nazis are actually planning, 22-year-old John F. Kennedy, a sickly and unpromising second son of Roosevelt's Ambassador to Britain, becomes embroiled in the President's high-stakes effort to stop the flow of German money that is influencing the 1940 U.S. election.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Jack 1939 by Francine Mathews was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,043,316 books! | Top bar: Always visible