The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris…

The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore (original 2012; edition 2012)

by William Joyce, William Joyce (Illustrator), Joe Bluhm (Illustrator)

516None19,542 (4.62)34
Member:activelearning
Title:The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore
Authors:William Joyce
Other authors:William Joyce (Illustrator), Joe Bluhm (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 56 pages
Collections:Farmington Public Library
Tags:books, libraries, fantasy, picture books, writers, authors

The fantastic flying books of Mr. Morris Lessmore by William Joyce (Author) (2012)

English (55)  French (1)  All languages (56)
I really enjoyed this book! This book captivates the identity of life as a reader, and the wholesome value of all that a book can hold. The story of Morris Lessmore touches a spot in my heart as the reader and dreamer I am and always have been. I too love how books can come to life and shape us all and this story shares that gift! I would love to read this to children in an upper elementary grade to demonstrate the power of literature and all that it holds for us. ( )
  KelseyDavison | Jan 20, 2014 |
A beautiful story built from a life long love of books. Inspiring illustrations add to the mystery and intrigue while building a fascination with storytelling. A lovely explanation to what happens inside a good book.
  gradschool14 | Jan 11, 2014 |
This book is an excellent book to use for sequencing. The students really enjoy the pictures as well as the fun storyline. ( )
  Mcs018 | Nov 30, 2013 |
I really loved this book, but coupled with the online YouTube movie made it "come alive" for me. So far, I have used it with kindergarteners and 1st-2nd graders. It is fun to compare and contrast the book version as opposed to the YouTube short movie. The movie has no words, so kiddos really have to be attentive to get all that is going on. The book gives more details, but still leaves a lot to the imagination. I LOVE the illustrations in the book, which also lead to a discussion about the jobs of illustrators and authors--which in this case are the same person (at least collaboratively with the illustrations). It also lends itself to talking about recent history and the power of books, as this is loosely based on a man who survived Hurricane Katrina and used books to help people feel better. I plan to purchase this book as it is one I can take along and use often as I substitute. Don't forget to check out the YouTube short movie!!
  Underemployed | Nov 26, 2013 |
"The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore", was probably my favortie book from this semester. This book shows students that all books have a story to tell and most jsut want someone to listen (read) to them. This book also teaches students of the importance of reading books and possibly even writing their own books. I feel like this was the perfect book to end the reading logs with and this is because the center of the bbok is how amazing each book is and the story that they hold
  brandib90 | Nov 21, 2013 |

Joyce, WilliamAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bluhm, JoeIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Joyce, WilliamIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Bill Morris and Coleen Salley, who devoted their lives to books & To the memory of Mary Katherine Joyce, whom the jealous Fates took too soon.
Morris Lessmore loved words.

Mr. Morris Lessmore loved books and was writing the story of his own life when a storm came and upset his routine.  He is lead to a building filled with flying, talking books where he learns to appreciate many different stories.  Mr. Morris Lessmore continues to write his life story as he grows old and upon reaching the last page reveals to his friends, the books, that it is time for him to go.  He leaves behind is book and a young girls enters the book building to enjoy the never changing books.  I will be hard pressed to read this book to its end without crying!!  Such a beautiful story that celebrates the joy of reading and the illustrations are a wonderful mix of fantasy and reality.  You feel like you can fly into the pages!

The story began as a tribute to the late Bill Morris, the soft-spokenm dry-witted pioneer of library promotions.  Then hurricane Katrina devastated Mr. Joyce's home state and interrupted progress on the book.  The author saw firsthand the curative power of stories as he visited displaced children reading donated books in the shelters.  Unable to paint for long periods of time because of eye surgeries, finishing the book took many paths -- an Academy Award-winning animated short film, a groundbreaking story app, and now at lasts the book.  It is the most personal story of Joyce's career. [from the back jacket flap]

Interactive Morris book

Morris Lessmore loves words, stories and books; after a powerful storm carries him to another land, dreary and colorless, he finds a single book in color that leads him to an amazing library where, he learns, the books need him as much as he needs them.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,999 books! | Top bar: Always visible