The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris…

The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore (original 2012; edition 2012)

by William Joyce, William Joyce (Illustrator), Joe Bluhm (Illustrator)

Member:activelearning
Title:The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore
Authors:William Joyce
Other authors:William Joyce (Illustrator), Joe Bluhm (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 56 pages
Collections:Farmington Public Library
Tags:books, libraries, fantasy, picture books, writers, authors

The fantastic flying books of Mr. Morris Lessmore by William Joyce (Author) (2012)

English (122)  French (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (125)
A beautiful and powerful story about the power of the written word.

We find our main character, Mr. Morris Lessmore, always surrounded by books, being an avid reader, but also a writer, in the process of writing the story of his life. One wouldn't think that a simple bookworm would have an interesting life story, but then again, we don't know what adventures he's been on before our story enfolds, literary or not. Though, when he stumbles upon a magical library full of books with their own minds and personalities, he will most definitely have something to write about. He spends his life in this magical room, writing, immersed in books, talking with them and tending to them. The ending made me tear up a little, and then smile in happiness. But I must not spoil it for ye.

I came across the short film first on Youtube, and watched it over the computer with my good friend Andy, who was just as enthralled with the little story as I was. We both dreamed of living in such splendour, surrounded by books--and the fact that they can be living friends makes it all the better. No human people to judge or bother. Just stories with personalities, filling your days and reading themselves to you.

A wonderful story that I thoroughly enjoyed!! A favourite I will read again and again, and then maybe eight times more after that. ( )
  ShyPageSniffer | Sep 29, 2016 |
Encourages reading
  CharliePipes | Sep 12, 2016 |
This book is such a good read! It is so great to immersed in a land where books interact and talk and tell each other stories. I wish I lived in Morris Lessmore's world.
  Katie_Manna | Sep 10, 2016 |
Not too long ago I watched a beautiful little animated short film entitled The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore. There is no dialogue and yet it (excuse the phrase) spoke to me on a very personal level. Imagine my delight when I discovered that it was created by the same man that created that other magical movie Meet the Robinsons! Yes, William Joyce has stolen my heart once again with a tale that is both heartbreaking and hopeful all at once. Of course, I knew that it was more than likely based off one of his books and I was right. Much like Meet the Robinsons which I reviewed not too long ago, Joyce wrote a beautifully illustrated picture book called The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore which is about exactly what the title implies. This is the story of a man who loves books and indeed is trying to write one of his own when a crazy storm comes along and upends not only his whole life but the buildings of his entire town. In a brilliant move of cinematography, after the storm everything is in black and white to depict the bleakness of his situation. But then he sees something which completely changes his outlook...I don't want to spoil this bit. This is about the power of the written word and the transformative power that books hold over the imagination. It is a love letter to literature. It's charming and extraordinarily moving. I admit to crying over the film AND the book. I urge you to take a few minutes and enjoy them both because they really are worth your time.10/10 ( )
  AliceaP | Sep 6, 2016 |
Mr. Morris Lessmore is a man whose love for books show on each page.In the beginning of the story we see Morris Lessmore sitting on his porch writing in his journal, he is colorful and content. The story began to take a negative turn as we notice the sky turns black and grey and a storm blows Morris and all of his possessions away. For a while, each page is dark and gloomy and we notice Morris beginning to feel a sense of despair as he is lost and confused on where to go next. Soon after, Morris came to a lady drifting in the sky holding onto bright and beautiful books tied to a string. A special book arrived at Morris's side and lead him to a building filled with books. The room is bright and the books are colorful, and Morris's color began to turn from a dull grey back into his old colorful self as we see him in the beginning of the story. Throughout the book there were pictures of actual books with legs symbolizing the livelihood Morris felt about each book he read. This illustration helps us understand that in Morris's eyes each book he came in contact with became alive and became a part of him. As Morris grew older, he then realized his journey with the book's has come to an end and it's someone else's turn to experience the stories. The story ends with Morris flying away with the books on a string, and he is back to his young self again. On the last page, we see a young girl sitting on the edge of the steps reading a special book- the book of Morris Lessmore's journey. I loved this book not only because of the story it tells, but because on each page the drawing itself tells it's own story. If i were to look at only the illustration, i would still get a good sense of what the book is about. ( )
  asialandry | Aug 30, 2016 |

Joyce, WilliamAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bluhm, JoeIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Bluhm, JoeIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Joyce, WilliamIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Joyce, WilliamIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Bill Morris and Coleen Salley, who devoted their lives to books & To the memory of Mary Katherine Joyce, whom the jealous Fates took too soon.
Morris Lessmore loved words.

Mr. Morris Lessmore loved books and was writing the story of his own life when a storm came and upset his routine.  He is lead to a building filled with flying, talking books where he learns to appreciate many different stories.  Mr. Morris Lessmore continues to write his life story as he grows old and upon reaching the last page reveals to his friends, the books, that it is time for him to go.  He leaves behind is book and a young girls enters the book building to enjoy the never changing books.  I will be hard pressed to read this book to its end without crying!!  Such a beautiful story that celebrates the joy of reading and the illustrations are a wonderful mix of fantasy and reality.  You feel like you can fly into the pages!

The story began as a tribute to the late Bill Morris, the soft-spokenm dry-witted pioneer of library promotions.  Then hurricane Katrina devastated Mr. Joyce's home state and interrupted progress on the book.  The author saw firsthand the curative power of stories as he visited displaced children reading donated books in the shelters.  Unable to paint for long periods of time because of eye surgeries, finishing the book took many paths -- an Academy Award-winning animated short film, a groundbreaking story app, and now at lasts the book.  It is the most personal story of Joyce's career. [from the back jacket flap]

Interactive Morris book

Morris Lessmore loves words, stories and books; after a powerful storm carries him to another land, dreary and colorless, he finds a single book in color that leads him to an amazing library where, he learns, the books need him as much as he needs them.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,253,309 books! | Top bar: Always visible