The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris…

The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore (original 2012; edition 2012)

by William Joyce, William Joyce (Illustrator), Joe Bluhm (Illustrator)

Member:activelearning
Title:The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore
Authors:William Joyce
Other authors:William Joyce (Illustrator), Joe Bluhm (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 56 pages
Collections:Farmington Public Library
Tags:books, libraries, fantasy, picture books, writers, authors

The fantastic flying books of Mr. Morris Lessmore by William Joyce (Author) (2012)

English (116)  French (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (119)
Of course those of us who love to read love this.
But I've got to be a bit cynical. It starts our surreal, then gets calm and almost trite, almost sappy.
It's an homage, a tribute... an indulgence? Do kids like it? I doubt that I would have.

---------
Have watched the movie now. Wish I'd watched it first. I liked it much better than the book. Both help me understand the other. Too bad the book was cut down so much from the movie. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Mr. Morris loves books and he spends all his days reading and writing in his journal. One day a tornado destroys his home and all the books in it. He walks until he finds a flying book that leads him to room full of books where he begins to take care of them and read them as well. He eventually dies but leaves behind the book he wrote in everyday of his life. one day a young girl comes across the room full of books that was once Mr. Morris' and she finds his book.
  mendi009 | Jun 5, 2016 |
If I could give this more than 5 stars I would! This is one of the best children's books I think I have ever read. For me, it ranks right with Charlotte's Web and Miss Rumphius. Anyone who loves books should read this one! ( )
  butterfly58 | Jun 4, 2016 |
Mr. Morris Lessmore tells a story about printed books, about their pages, full of words and images, about living surrounded by books, dreaming while browsing the pages till you get lost in their stories. It's about love for the printed word, and about the way the printed word returns your love. Lessmore appears to be modeled after silent film–era comic Buster Keaton and is a writer whose obsession with the written word is evident by the precariously stacked books around him. This book is wonderful! It actually brought tears to my eyes. If you have a love of books then you should read this. It is a remarkable achievement, regarding both the writing and the illustrations. Every aspect of the book conveys the magic, mystery and meaning of reading. I recommend it for adults as it captures the love of books and the joy of a life lived with them better than any other book that I have read. ( )
  Arkrayder | Apr 22, 2016 |
The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore is a fantastic fantasy picture tells a story about Mr. Morris, who loves reading and finally got into a magic place with all fantastic flying books. Morris tried to keep the books good and complete and have a deep love with them. He use his time read and wrote an autobiography at the end of his life. I love the ending of this story that Mr. Morris back to the real world and becomes young again, but story is continuing with another girl who loves books.
Media: Computer-crafts, which are full of imagination.
Use: I will read and show this book to elementary school students, and show them the charming place of books and let them get interested in reading. ( )
  QianqiongWang | Apr 13, 2016 |

Joyce, WilliamAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bluhm, JoeIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Bluhm, JoeIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Joyce, WilliamIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Joyce, WilliamIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Bill Morris and Coleen Salley, who devoted their lives to books & To the memory of Mary Katherine Joyce, whom the jealous Fates took too soon.
Morris Lessmore loved words.

Mr. Morris Lessmore loved books and was writing the story of his own life when a storm came and upset his routine.  He is lead to a building filled with flying, talking books where he learns to appreciate many different stories.  Mr. Morris Lessmore continues to write his life story as he grows old and upon reaching the last page reveals to his friends, the books, that it is time for him to go.  He leaves behind is book and a young girls enters the book building to enjoy the never changing books.  I will be hard pressed to read this book to its end without crying!!  Such a beautiful story that celebrates the joy of reading and the illustrations are a wonderful mix of fantasy and reality.  You feel like you can fly into the pages!

The story began as a tribute to the late Bill Morris, the soft-spokenm dry-witted pioneer of library promotions.  Then hurricane Katrina devastated Mr. Joyce's home state and interrupted progress on the book.  The author saw firsthand the curative power of stories as he visited displaced children reading donated books in the shelters.  Unable to paint for long periods of time because of eye surgeries, finishing the book took many paths -- an Academy Award-winning animated short film, a groundbreaking story app, and now at lasts the book.  It is the most personal story of Joyce's career. [from the back jacket flap]

Interactive Morris book

Morris Lessmore loves words, stories and books; after a powerful storm carries him to another land, dreary and colorless, he finds a single book in color that leads him to an amazing library where, he learns, the books need him as much as he needs them.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,783,168 books! | Top bar: Always visible