The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris…

The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore (original 2012; edition 2012)

by William Joyce, William Joyce (Illustrator), Joe Bluhm (Illustrator)

Title:The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore
Authors:William Joyce
Other authors:William Joyce (Illustrator), Joe Bluhm (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 56 pages
Collections:Farmington Public Library
Tags:books, libraries, fantasy, picture books, writers, authors

The fantastic flying books of Mr. Morris Lessmore by William Joyce (Author) (2012)

English (124)  French (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (127)
This is a very interesting story. There's so much to talk about. First, William Joyce uses the text to play with the reader's thoughts about the story. For example, when the hurricane comes and Morris Lessmore's (the main character) books and words were being scattered and William Joyce had the actual text look as if it were flying away. The way he uses color is amazing as well. We see Morris in this state of depression almost, as he just lost his home, his town, and his writing to a storm and Joyce makes him sepia or black and white. When Morris goes into the library and experiences new stories we see him turn colorful and this can effect the reader's perception of what's going on and how to feel. He uses these color patterns multiple times. There is also a short film that he has produced from this book and it's a great comparison. This book invites people to read and write in that imaginative world that William Joyce loves to share with us. ( )
  imasson | Oct 20, 2016 |
Mr. Morris Lessmore begins to grow wearing of writing mundane details in the story of his life. Day in and day out, he writes the same old thing. That is, until his whole world is turned upside down and a beautiful woman lends him a story. This story leads him to a fantastic nest where books go to rest. Here he spends his days, weeks, and years caring for the books, tending to them, and loving them. When Mr. Lessmore writes in the final page of his book, the story ends where it began… with the story of a lifetime.

Personal reaction:
Being the sap that I am, this book brought a tear to my eye. The story is so touching and the ending so bittersweet; in the end, all readers are like Mr. Lessmore, including me.

Classroom extensions:
1. The book uses personification to bring books to life. As you reread the story to the class, pause and ask students to point out what aspects of the story utilize personification. Then, hand each group of 4 a random object. Working together, ask the students to write a story giving the object human characteristics.
2. In the book, many different types of books are mentioned (tragedies, comedies, encyclopedias, comic books, dictionaries). Breaking the class into groups of four, assign one book type to each group. Ask each student to research where the books would be found, what they are commonly used for, and why they are important. ( )
  CaitlinHendy | Oct 6, 2016 |
A beautiful and powerful story about the power of the written word.

We find our main character, Mr. Morris Lessmore, always surrounded by books, being an avid reader, but also a writer, in the process of writing the story of his life. One wouldn't think that a simple bookworm would have an interesting life story, but then again, we don't know what adventures he's been on before our story enfolds, literary or not. Though, when he stumbles upon a magical library full of books with their own minds and personalities, he will most definitely have something to write about. He spends his life in this magical room, writing, immersed in books, talking with them and tending to them. The ending made me tear up a little, and then smile in happiness. But I must not spoil it for ye.

I came across the short film first on Youtube, and watched it over the computer with my good friend Andy, who was just as enthralled with the little story as I was. We both dreamed of living in such splendour, surrounded by books--and the fact that they can be living friends makes it all the better. No human people to judge or bother. Just stories with personalities, filling your days and reading themselves to you.

A wonderful story that I thoroughly enjoyed!! A favourite I will read again and again, and then maybe eight times more after that. ( )
  ShyPageSniffer | Sep 29, 2016 |
Encourages reading
  CharliePipes | Sep 12, 2016 |
This book is such a good read! It is so great to immersed in a land where books interact and talk and tell each other stories. I wish I lived in Morris Lessmore's world.
  Katie_Manna | Sep 10, 2016 |

Joyce, WilliamAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bluhm, JoeIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Bluhm, JoeIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Joyce, WilliamIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Joyce, WilliamIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Bill Morris and Coleen Salley, who devoted their lives to books & To the memory of Mary Katherine Joyce, whom the jealous Fates took too soon.
Morris Lessmore loved words.

Mr. Morris Lessmore loved books and was writing the story of his own life when a storm came and upset his routine.  He is lead to a building filled with flying, talking books where he learns to appreciate many different stories.  Mr. Morris Lessmore continues to write his life story as he grows old and upon reaching the last page reveals to his friends, the books, that it is time for him to go.  He leaves behind is book and a young girls enters the book building to enjoy the never changing books.  I will be hard pressed to read this book to its end without crying!!  Such a beautiful story that celebrates the joy of reading and the illustrations are a wonderful mix of fantasy and reality.  You feel like you can fly into the pages!

The story began as a tribute to the late Bill Morris, the soft-spokenm dry-witted pioneer of library promotions.  Then hurricane Katrina devastated Mr. Joyce's home state and interrupted progress on the book.  The author saw firsthand the curative power of stories as he visited displaced children reading donated books in the shelters.  Unable to paint for long periods of time because of eye surgeries, finishing the book took many paths -- an Academy Award-winning animated short film, a groundbreaking story app, and now at lasts the book.  It is the most personal story of Joyce's career. [from the back jacket flap]

Interactive Morris book

Morris Lessmore loves words, stories and books; after a powerful storm carries him to another land, dreary and colorless, he finds a single book in color that leads him to an amazing library where, he learns, the books need him as much as he needs them.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,747,246 books! | Top bar: Always visible