The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris…

The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore (original 2012; edition 2012)

by William Joyce, William Joyce (Illustrator), Joe Bluhm (Illustrator)

Member:activelearning
Title:The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore
Authors:William Joyce
Other authors:William Joyce (Illustrator), Joe Bluhm (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 56 pages
Collections:Farmington Public Library
Tags:books, libraries, fantasy, picture books, writers, authors

The fantastic flying books of Mr. Morris Lessmore by William Joyce (Author) (2012)

English (60)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (62)
I absolutely fell in love with this book. I think it has to be my favorite children's book that I have read so far. The first thing that I loved was the overall idea of the book. This story tells the message that books are magic, and as a reader and student teacher, I believe that children should be shown the magic of books. The second thing that I loved was how it was illustrated. The book starts out with Mr. Lessmore writing a book when a Wizard of Oz type catastrophe happens. During this storm the pages are dark and sepia toned to portray the darkness of Mr. Morris Lessmore's life without books. When The flying books come into his life the pages start to fill with color. The more the books work their magic, the more colorful the book becomes. On some pages where Mr. Morris is sharing his magic books, the faceless characters who have not been exposed to the magic are also in black and white. I feel that this is a great way the illustrations work to enhance the theme of the story. Some of my favorite illustrations is when the main character is reading, he is inside the pages of the book sitting or interacting with the letters. Finally the plot of the story made me fall in love. Mr. Morris finds the magical book place because he sees a woman flying away with books; when he finishes the book he started and is an old man he too flies away the same way the woman did reverting back to his young self. I took this to be that the books are taking him to his "heaven." Finally when Mr. Morris leaves a new person finds her way into the magical book place starting the cycle over. That was my favorite part, there is always an beginning and an end to every story.
  cduke3 | Sep 18, 2014 |
Fantastic book because it shows how people can take a journey while reading a story. It also, displays that people can create their own stories for others to enjoy. This book shows how reading and writing can touch many lives. ( )
  Spinea1 | Aug 27, 2014 |
I was interested in reading this after seeing the Oscar nominated short film with the same title. I was a bit disappointed in that there was no more to the book than was shown in the movie. That isn't to say you shouldn't read it or gift it to people it is a rather sweet story that I just wished there was more to it. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book, but I LOVE the silent film of the story even better. It is such a wonderful story about a man whose life is turned upside down by a devastating hurricane (Katrina, of course!) and who discovers a wonderful place where books live. He ends up caring for the books and sharing them with others. I'm not going to give away the ending, but it is a touching story. I have shown my students the film for the past two years but haven't read the book to them. ( )
  SuPendleton | Jun 16, 2014 |
A man in this story goes and views a huge bookstore and creates his own book on the way. The complexity of the story made it interesting along with the pictures. I would use this book with any age because you can pull different things out of the book depending on the age it is very complex. ( )
  AliciaFine | Jun 8, 2014 |

Joyce, WilliamAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bluhm, JoeIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Bluhm, JoeIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Joyce, WilliamIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Joyce, WilliamIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Bill Morris and Coleen Salley, who devoted their lives to books & To the memory of Mary Katherine Joyce, whom the jealous Fates took too soon.
Morris Lessmore loved words.

Mr. Morris Lessmore loved books and was writing the story of his own life when a storm came and upset his routine.  He is lead to a building filled with flying, talking books where he learns to appreciate many different stories.  Mr. Morris Lessmore continues to write his life story as he grows old and upon reaching the last page reveals to his friends, the books, that it is time for him to go.  He leaves behind is book and a young girls enters the book building to enjoy the never changing books.  I will be hard pressed to read this book to its end without crying!!  Such a beautiful story that celebrates the joy of reading and the illustrations are a wonderful mix of fantasy and reality.  You feel like you can fly into the pages!

The story began as a tribute to the late Bill Morris, the soft-spokenm dry-witted pioneer of library promotions.  Then hurricane Katrina devastated Mr. Joyce's home state and interrupted progress on the book.  The author saw firsthand the curative power of stories as he visited displaced children reading donated books in the shelters.  Unable to paint for long periods of time because of eye surgeries, finishing the book took many paths -- an Academy Award-winning animated short film, a groundbreaking story app, and now at lasts the book.  It is the most personal story of Joyce's career. [from the back jacket flap]

Interactive Morris book

Morris Lessmore loves words, stories and books; after a powerful storm carries him to another land, dreary and colorless, he finds a single book in color that leads him to an amazing library where, he learns, the books need him as much as he needs them.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,775,710 books! | Top bar: Always visible