CAPITALISM: THE UNKNOWN IDEAL, WITH…

CAPITALISM: THE UNKNOWN IDEAL, WITH ADDITIONAL ARTICLES BY ... (edition 1967)

by Ayn Rand

Member:agbram
Title:CAPITALISM: THE UNKNOWN IDEAL, WITH ADDITIONAL ARTICLES BY ...
Authors:Ayn Rand
Info:Signet (1967), Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:Political Philosophy, Nonfiction, Objectivism,

Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal, with Additional Articles By Nathaniel Branden, Alan Greenspan, and Robert Hessen by Ayn Rand

In this collection of essays by [a:Ayn Rand|432|Ayn Rand|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1168729178p2/432.jpg], Nathaniel Branden, Alan Greenspan, and Robert Hessen, one finds the Objectivist views on capitalism, conservatism, war, and altruism.

It is a cogent and well-argued defence of capitalism in the Randian sense and therefore will (as all of her works) be polarising. Yet her arguments are logical. But yet it is her dogmatism and unwavering belief in her definitions of altruism and capitalism that prove difficult to read. There are many critiques of Objectivist economic theory (but this reviewer is not an economist), but from a literary standpoint, these are well-written and argued. It is the views themselves expressed herein that will be divisive. ( )
  xuebi | May 30, 2014 |
Ayn Rand was once asked if she could present the essence of her philosophy while standing on one foot. She answered: Metaphysics: Objective Reality; Epistemology: Reason; Ethics: Self-interest; Politics: Capitalism. I first encountered Ayn Rand through her works of fiction as a young woman barely out of my teens. Back then I was already an atheist, one with a great belief in science and reason. There was nothing in her "metaphysics" or "epistemology" that I found the least bit surprising or controversial--indeed in essentials I already agreed with her. Her ethics and her politics were a different story. I remember reading Atlas Shrugged and thinking "you crazy bitch." But she did touch off a revolution in my thinking, changing me from a liberal to a libertarian.

Do I agree with everything within these pages? Well, let's say there is still much of it where I have doubts, and where I feel uneasy about her prescriptions. Her views are radical--and she knew it and was unapologetic about it. But at least at the time I picked this book up, I had literally never encountered her arguments. When I read it was (barely) pre-blogosphere, before the rise of talk radio or FOX News. What I knew of history and public policy from my New York City public education made Franklin Roosevelt, Jack Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson the heroes of our times. I had never heard a dissenting voice from that. I don't know that I--or readers new to this book--would find this such a fresh perspective now. But I did--and it really made me think and go read more. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Sep 27, 2013 |
A must read for anyone who wants an education in economics. ( )
  ague | May 23, 2012 |
A collection of essays written mostly by Ayn Rand, this book did a good job of getting out the over all message of Individual Rights superseding the collective.Some of the most interesting bits I found were the parallels between the arguments taking place circa the mid- to late-1960's and today; we seem to still be facing all of the arguments coming out of D.C. now that we were then. Things like the false dichotomies of "whether government should do X or Y", when the question needs to be, "should government be involved at all?"In "The Nature of Government", Rand makes a compelling case defining the role that government plays:The fundamental difference between private action and governmental action - a difference thoroughly ignored and evaded today - lies in the fact that a government holds a monopoly on the legal use of physical force.Because of this, government must be narrowly defined and tightly controlled to prevent that legal monopoly from being wielded by those with political pull to harm particular individuals or groups. In "What is Capitalism?", the argument is that pure capitalism as a system is the only social/political structure that relies solely on the rights of the individual to better themselves without resorting to the use of physical force and taking what is needed from others.In "Notes on the History of American Free Enterprise", (the lack of) these two concepts in particular are starkly portrayed with references to early American railroad systems:There were many forms of government help for these projects, such as federal land grants, subsidies, state bonds, municipal bonds, etc. A great many speculators started railroad projects as a quick means to get some government cash, with no concern for the future or the commercial possibilities of their railroads. They went through the motions of laying so many miles of shoddy rail, anywhere at all, without inquiring whether the locations they selected had any need for a railroad or any economic future. Some of those men collected the cash and vanished, never starting any railroad at all. This is the source of the popular impression that the origin of American railroads was a period of wild, unscrupulous speculation. But the railroads of this period which were planned and built by businessmen for a proper, private, commercial purpose were the ones that survived, prospered, and proved unusual foresight in the choice of their locations.In another section of the same essay, after quoting two liberal journalists decrying the corruption of the railroads who "had bought senators and congressmen, just as they bought rails and locomotives...", we are asked to identify the actual parties of the corruption: "..what could the railroads do, except try to 'own whole legislatures' if these legislatures held the power of life or death over them? What could the railroads do, except resort to bribery, if they wished to exist at all? Who was to blame and who was 'corrupt'--the businessmen who had to pay 'protection money' for the right to remain in business--or the politicians who held the power to sell that right?"Over all, I found the essays in this collection to be extremely thought provoking. Rand is utterly scathing in some instances when speaking directly about socialism and Soviet Russia, but these seem to be the exception rather than the rule. Essays by Alan Greenspan, Robert Hessen and Nathaniel Branden help to break up Rand's almost single-minded attraction to concepts covered in her book "Atlas Shrugged", and, especially those of Greenspan, bring in pointed rebukes of particular instances in which public policy, in the name of protecting the average man, has actually done more harm by eroding individual rights than good.Highly recommended for anyone interested in economics, politics and the philosophy of individualism. ( )
  joshua.pelton-stroud | Sep 22, 2009 |
This is the first book to defend Capitalism from a moral perspective as well as a practical one; it shows why Laissez Faire Capitalism is the only moral economic system. The young Alan Greenspan wrote some of the articles, including one that opposes the existence of the Federal Reserve Board. If only he had listened to his own advice. In these times where economics are an important subject to understand, this is a great introduction to the subject. I also recommend Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt. ( )
  zigory | Oct 3, 2008 |

Rand, Aynprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Branden, NathanielContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Greenspan, AlanContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hessen, RobertContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This Work is expanded from Ayn Rand's original collection of 18 essays, Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal (1966). First published in this expanded form in November 1967, it includes a total of twenty essays by Ayn Rand, two essays by Nathaniel Branden, three essays by Alan Greenspan, and one essay by Robert Hessen. Please distinguish between these related but different Works. Thank you.

Collects these essays:
"What Is Capitalism?" by Ayn Rand
"The Roots of War" by Ayn Rand
"America's Persecuted Minority: Big Business" by Ayn Rand
"Antitrust" by Alan Greenspan
"Common Fallacies About Capitalism" by Nathaniel Branden
"Gold and Economic Freedom" by Alan Greenspan
"Notes on the History of American Free Enterprise" by Ayn Rand
"The Effects of the Industrial Revolution on Women and Children" by Robert Hessen
"The Assault on Integrity" by Alan Greenspan
"Alienation" by Nathaniel Branden
"Requiem for Man" by Ayn Rand
"Man's Rights" by Ayn Rand
"The Nature of Government" by Ayn Rand

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451147952, Mass Market Paperback)

The foundations of capitalism are being battered by a flood of altruism, which is the cause of the modern world's collapse. This is the view of Ayn Rand, a view so radically opposed to prevailing attitudes that it constitutes a major philosophic revolution. In this series of essays, she presents her stand on the persecution of big business, the causes of war, the default of conservatism, and the evils of altruism. Here is a challenging new look at modern society by one of the most provocative intellectuals on the American scene.

This edition includes two articles by Ayn Rand which did not appear in the hardcover edition: The Wreckage of the Consensus," which presents the Objectivists views on Vietnam and the draft; and Requiem for Man," an answer to the Papal encyclical Progresso Populorum.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:56 -0400)

Legacy Library: Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ayn Rand's legacy profile.

See Ayn Rand's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,518,412 books! | Top bar: Always visible