Robert B. Parker's Lullaby by Ace Atkins

Robert B. Parker's Lullaby

by Ace Atkins

God...I really miss Bob Parker. I don't like this trend using deceased author's star power to enrich the greedy publishers and the various family estates. Of course today money/profit is EVERYTHING.
Atkins is better than most but the Hawk-Spenser dynamic is flawed in this story. ( )
  tcards | Jul 23, 2014 |
Robert B. Parker’s untimely demise has not left his fans abandoned without any new Spenser novels. Ace Atkins has picked up the gauntlet and faithfully replicated Parker’s characters, style, and diction. Spenser, a private detective in the Boston area, is still tough but witty and literate (although I can never figure out why he prefers Susan the psychologist to Rita the lawyer); Pearl, the wonder dog, is just as mute; Hawk is just as minatory, stylish, and promiscuous; and several other underworld and law enforcement characters reappear with no discernible changes in their appearances or behaviors.

Spenser is retained by Mattie Sullivan, a 14 year old girl (who reminds me of Lizbeth Salander, the Stieg Larson’s “girl with the dragon tattoo”) to find the true murderer of her mother four years earlier. Mickey Green was convicted of the murder and is in prison, but he was a friend of Mattie's mother, and Mattie believes he was framed. Mattie is penurious, but Spenser (bless his kind heart) agrees to take the case for a dozen donuts.

An old mob figure, Jumpin' Jack Flynn appears to be involved as well as Spenser's longtime enemies, the Broz family. Spenser needs the help of super tough side-kick Hawk, friendly mobster Vinnie Morris, and several friends in the FBI and the Boston Police Department (all of whom have appeared in previous Spenser novels) to solve the crime, but justice prevails in the end.

Lullaby is a nice homage to Parker. Atkins not only reproduces the ambiance of previous Spenser novels, but he spins a pretty good tale in its own right.

(JAB) ( )
  nbmars | Apr 12, 2014 |
My full review can be found here: http://bit.ly/1pz5kEu ( )
  elebama | Mar 26, 2014 |
Excellent read. Couldn't put it down, which is unusual for me. Particularly liked the clever word-play at which Parker excelled. Atkins seems to have it down very well. ( )
  Chaps | Mar 2, 2014 |
I was looking for a new Parker mystery and picked this one up. I didn't realize till I got home and started it that it was written by Ace Atkins. At first I was skeptical that I would like a 'Spenser' story by someone other than Parker. In the beginning a lot of the dialogue seemed almost to canned as trying to imitate Parker, but that quickly changed and became a very riveting story with the 'Spenser' I knew. I be eager to read another 'Spenser' story by Ace ( )
  Brian55 | Dec 7, 2013 |

"Spenser takes up a seemingly open and closed cold case at the behest of a street-wise 16 year old girl, who believes her mother's murderers went free. As Spenser digs deeper into the mystery, he finds a much more dangerous and complex mystery than he bargained for"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,781,774 books! | Top bar: Always visible