Robert B. Parker's Lullaby by Ace Atkins

Robert B. Parker's Lullaby

by Ace Atkins

Robert B. Parker’s untimely demise has not left his fans abandoned without any new Spenser novels. Ace Atkins has picked up the gauntlet and faithfully replicated Parker’s characters, style, and diction. Spenser, a private detective in the Boston area, is still tough but witty and literate (although I can never figure out why he prefers Susan the psychologist to Rita the lawyer); Pearl, the wonder dog, is just as mute; Hawk is just as minatory, stylish, and promiscuous; and several other underworld and law enforcement characters reappear with no discernible changes in their appearances or behaviors.

Spenser is retained by Mattie Sullivan, a 14 year old girl (who reminds me of Lizbeth Salander, the Stieg Larson’s “girl with the dragon tattoo”) to find the true murderer of her mother four years earlier. Mickey Green was convicted of the murder and is in prison, but he was a friend of Mattie's mother, and Mattie believes he was framed. Mattie is penurious, but Spenser (bless his kind heart) agrees to take the case for a dozen donuts.

An old mob figure, Jumpin' Jack Flynn appears to be involved as well as Spenser's longtime enemies, the Broz family. Spenser needs the help of super tough side-kick Hawk, friendly mobster Vinnie Morris, and several friends in the FBI and the Boston Police Department (all of whom have appeared in previous Spenser novels) to solve the crime, but justice prevails in the end.

Lullaby is a nice homage to Parker. Atkins not only reproduces the ambiance of previous Spenser novels, but he spins a pretty good tale in its own right.

(JAB) ( )
  nbmars | Apr 12, 2014 |
My full review can be found here: http://bit.ly/1pz5kEu ( )
  elebama | Mar 26, 2014 |
Excellent read. Couldn't put it down, which is unusual for me. Particularly liked the clever word-play at which Parker excelled. Atkins seems to have it down very well. ( )
  Chaps | Mar 2, 2014 |
I was looking for a new Parker mystery and picked this one up. I didn't realize till I got home and started it that it was written by Ace Atkins. At first I was skeptical that I would like a 'Spenser' story by someone other than Parker. In the beginning a lot of the dialogue seemed almost to canned as trying to imitate Parker, but that quickly changed and became a very riveting story with the 'Spenser' I knew. I be eager to read another 'Spenser' story by Ace ( )
  Brian55 | Dec 7, 2013 |
The life of private investigator is never easy. Work is often risky at best and more tedious than admitted. One day you are following a man that is cheating on his wife and the next you are solving a cold case that is twenty years old. This book is about one such detective name Spencer who lives a life of action. He is an ex-boxer with a fearless streak who has a tendency to attract unwanted attention. His side kick is a man named Hawk who is a legend in his own right. This story is about a case that involves a girl named Mattie and her dead mother. Mattie in her desperation hires Spencer to find out who killed her drug addicted mother. Believing this to be a short lived case and wanting to appease the girl, he soon discovers this case is much deeper than he expected. With Hawk at his side and the Fed’s on his tail, Spencer realizes that he might have bitten off more than he can chew. Not letting this stop him from his mission, he proceeds to piss off a lot of people and nearly get killed several times over. Will Spencer manage to find out what really happened to Mattie’s mother? Can he prove the accused murderer innocent and put the right man behind bars?

I must first say that I really enjoyed this book and was blown away by the fast pace of the story. I have never read a book by this author and am happy to admit that it was a damn good story. I have always been luke warm at best when it comes to thriller novels, but have found myself being more attracted to this genre. I love the action and variety in personalities that the author brought to the table. I believe this book can be enjoyed by both genders and most age groups. I would highly recommend this book to other women who are looking for something a little different and plan on reading more from this author. Great job author and you have a new fan! ( )
  Jennifer35k | Nov 4, 2013 |

"Spenser takes up a seemingly open and closed cold case at the behest of a street-wise 16 year old girl, who believes her mother's murderers went free. As Spenser digs deeper into the mystery, he finds a much more dangerous and complex mystery than he bargained for"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,499,486 books! | Top bar: Always visible