Just As I Am by Virginia Smith

Just As I Am

by Virginia Smith

What is most interesting about this story is watching what happens when Mayla experiences conversion and begins the journey of learning about God and living as a Christian. Mayla isn't your standard Christian, with her facial piercings and bright pink hair - but as she discovers (and those around her as well) God looks on the heart and each of us has a place in His plans for His children. I really enjoyed this novel. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Mar 8, 2011 |
I started backward, and read the sequel first, but enjoyed it so well that I was excited to go back to read this one. I cannot tell you how long it has been since I have read a book that made me cry, but this one definitely was successful with that more than once. This is such a great story! I've enjoyed Ginny Smith's books for a while now, but this just makes me like her all the more. As a 23 year old, former punk/goth teenager, I can tell you from experience that her books with Mayla hit home. The sequel was good with certain topics, but this one is just fabulous. Mayla's story is really that of an alternative young person finding Christ and starting their life as a Christian. Not everyone has the same background and this book is great for all people whether they were brought up in the Church or know nothing about it. I'd recommend this book to teens, young adults, older adults (to understand the younger) and anyone really. I strongly recommend it for people to read who are not Christian. It might show a good insight to how things "can" be. ( )
  cherryblossommj | Dec 14, 2009 |
  cherryblossommj | Dec 14, 2009 |
This one reads like a memoir, but it's fiction. Mayla isn't your typical looking Christian. She has purple hair and multiple piercings. But she really is committed to giving her life to Christ.

Mayla is a very appealing character. It was a great reminder that you really can't judge a person by what's on the outside. She just has a big capacity to love without reserve. Her friends ask her to visit a dying stranger in the hospital. She isn't excited about it at first, but she can't help making a friend. And I couldn't help rooting for her. A fun book. ( )
  cmbohn | Jun 10, 2009 |

When purple-haired Mayla Strong struts down the center aisle of Salliesburg Independent Christian Church, the bug-eyed congregation strains to get a peek at her pierced nose and lip. But Pastor Paul welcomes her with a huge, infectious grin and baptizes her on the spot. Determined to make her Heavenly Father proud, Mayla's sincere and often hilarious attempts to let Him change her from the inside out take her into some difficult places. Through it all she grows in faith and wisdom--sometimes through pain, sometimes through humor, but always in a way that is uniquely Mayla.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:33 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,458,998 books! | Top bar: Always visible