Aliens for Breakfast by Jonathan Etra

Aliens for Breakfast

by Jonathan Etra, Stephanie Spinner

Other authors: Steve Bjorkman (Illustrator)

Series: Aliens For (1)

Recently added byprivate library, MCompian, mavinger, GenaVan, aeisen9, deannierae, wehomeschool3boys, rh_widget

One morning during breakfast, a boy named Richard witnesses a tiny alien emerge from his cereal box. This sets the scene for a quest to save Earth from undercover aliens -- and only Richard can help! I read this book many years ago in elementary school and thought it was hilarious, so I was happy to revisit and review it for this course. Truth be told, it was not quite what I remembered, and I felt a bit disappointed for reasons I can't quite explain.

Overall, it is still a fun, fast read, and a good book for a young reader transitioning to chapter books. The simple illustrations complement the text -- another helpful feature for newly independent chapter book readers. ( )
  aeisen9 | Mar 17, 2014 |
Richard Bickerstaff is a normal school age boy living a normal life until he finds a small alien named Aric in his cereal bowl. Aric claims that he is Commander of the Interspace Brigade and he is there to save Earth from the Dranes. The Dranes seek to control planets they like through a sort of mind control. Suddenly, Richard realizes that the new popular kid in class, Dorf, is a Drane! Aric goes with Richard to school in the hopes of remembering the secret weapon to destroy the Dranes. He eventually remembers that they cannot resist pepper flakes and explode after eating too many. If they do not find a way to get Dorf to eat a lot, he will multiply and Earth will be doomed. Richard and Aric eventually succeed and Dorf explodes leaving no memory that he ever existed among his classmates.

This is another book from my childhood and I really remember loving it then. In fact, the pages are kind of falling out! As an adult, my tastes have changed so I am less excited about it. It’s a really neat book, though. It has humor, every day kid problems, and fantasy. What I really liked was how the story seemed to be about the little guy making a big difference. It is a chapter book but the chapters are short. It’s perfect for children just beginning chapter books.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. Have the class make their own aliens. They can use all sorts of supplies and materials. A really fun thing to do is to have them collect different “garbage” items to make their aliens. For example, they can use tin cans, cereal boxes, etc. Let them name and write a small biography for their alien. You can even line them up on the perimeter of the room and let the class wander around and look at everyone’s aliens.
2. Give the children a cereal box covered in blank paper. Ask them to invent their own cereal. Have them design the box and write a short commercial for them. They can present their commercials to the class. If you have access to a video camera, it might be neat to film all of the commercials. ( )
  Andycat | Oct 26, 2012 |
Aliens for breakfast was a great book. I would recommend it to students who I knew liked alien type stories. I love that this is a series! There is Aliens for Breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
  fkozar | Oct 11, 2011 |
booooooooooooooooooooooring ( )
  cindyzhou2010 | May 2, 2011 |
Summary: Richard discovers an alien in his breakfast bowl. This alien, Aric, has come to Earth to get rid of Dorf. Dorf is the new kid at school, but is also a danger to the planet. He is a Drane, sent to the planet Earth to multiply and take over. Everyone at school loves Dorf, and when they look at his perfect teeth, they fall under his power. Richard is the only one who doesn’t look at his teeth, and Dorf knows that Richard is resisting him. Because of this, Richard starts to bleed from his fingers. He is melting because of Dorf’s power. Aric cannot remember what weapon is used to kill a Drane until they follow Dorf to the pizza parlor. Here they witness Dorf eating pizza after pizza covered in red peppers. Aric remembers that it is the red peppers that will kill Dorf, but only if he eats them alone. The next day at school, Richard gives Dorf a huge box of red peppers. He eats handful after handful, and eventually explodes. Richard goes home and says goodbye to Aric, and Aric gets beamed back up to his home planet.

Reflection: I like this book! I’m not normally into modern fantasies, especially science fiction, but I thought this was a really cute story. This is the first book I’ve read for the class that didn’t include very many illustrations, but it was okay because the author was so detailed in his descriptions of what was going on.

Extension ideas: I think it’d be fun to read this to the kids and let their imagination wonder. I’d give them markers, paint, and other art supplies and encourage them to create what they think Aric looks like. The author gives a general description, and it would be fun to see what the kids envisioned him to look like while they were reading or listening along. Another idea would be to serve pizza while reading it aloud. It would be a fun time to enjoy good food and listen to a story that includes it.
  michirenee87 | Jul 9, 2009 |

Jonathan Etraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Spinner, Stephaniemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Bjorkman, SteveIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0394820932, Paperback)

It's been ten years since Richard Bickerstaff sat down to breakfast and an alien climbed out of his cereal bowl! Join Richard and Aric, a tiny, wisecracking creature from the planet Ganoob, as they battle to save the world from evil aliens in Aliens for Breakfast, Aliens for Lunch, and Aliens for Dinner. We're reissuing the trilogy with brand-new covers sporting a space age 10th Anniversary logo. Now a new generation of readers can experience the fun and adventure that won these books rave reviews and loyal fans!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:52 -0400)

Finding an intergalactic special agent in his cereal box, Richard joins the extraterrestrial in a fight to save Earth from the Dranes, one of whom is masquerading as a student in Richard's class.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,122,306 books! | Top bar: Always visible