As the Crow Flies: A Walt Longmire Mystery…

As the Crow Flies: A Walt Longmire Mystery (Walt Longmire Mysteries) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Craig Johnson

Member:historycycles
Title:As the Crow Flies: A Walt Longmire Mystery (Walt Longmire Mysteries)
Authors:Craig Johnson
Info:Viking Adult (2012), Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:*****

As the Crow Flies by Craig Johnson (2012)

”I thought about how this was not how it was supposed to end, with her providing cab service for the Feds and me walking away. In a perfect cinematic world, we would’ve captured the bad guys in spectacular fashion with explosions, car chases, and a parting kiss. She would’ve been played by Ava Gardner, and I would’ve been played by Robert Taylor.”

The irony...

Great book, although I guessed the whodunnit correctly, which is good of me, but I like to be surprised. I missed Vic, I hope she is has a larger part in the next book. ( )
  MaraBlaise | Feb 25, 2017 |
That's now seven Longmire books finished in two months - Johnson needs to start writing faster or I need to find another author with a lengthy canon. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
After sagging a little in the middle this series has roared back in the right direction these latest 3 books. After the harrowing events of HELL IS EMPTY it was nice to see Walt doing what he does best, just riding around chasing clues and bad guys. The wedding details are going up in smoke, so Walt and Henry ride out to a cliff named Painted Warrior to check it out as an alternate wedding site. While there taking pictures of the spot Walt and Henry see a young woman go over the cliff and fall to her death. While the two hero's check on the woman, Dog discovers the her baby boy who managed to survive the fall. Dog camps out in the hospital with the baby, while Walt tangles with the new chief of police on the rez, Lolo Long. Miss Lolo is a poor imitation of my favorite potty mouthed cop Victoria, an Iraq war vet with no law enforcement experience she stumbles around making things worse before Walt finally brings her up short. Lolo asks Walt for his help and experience especially when the FBI threaten to step in and all over her. Walt agrees to follow the threads of this mystery, and with Henry at his side they ride all over the Rez chasing down the details of this young woman's short life.

Several of my favorite early characters returned for this adventure, and it was really nice to have a lot of Henry and his great dialog. Thankfully the tangles with Lolo of the bad temper are kept to a minimum, as she comes off like an inept Vic, only more of a jerk. Lonnie Little Bird's reappearance was another welcome one, the story of how he became chief was my first laugh out loud moment in the book. The sidebar dealing with Cady's wedding was nicely sprinkled in and broke up the main story without taking my attention totally away. The all star cast at the wedding was also a nice touch, though I hope there is more on that and the wild party at the reception coming soon.

To know and love these characters I would highly recommend reading the series in order, starting with The Cold Dish. ( )
  crynski | Nov 26, 2016 |
As the Crow Flies opens with Henry Standing Bear planning Cady Longmire’s wedding. Only weeks before the wedding he discovers the outdoor venue is double-booked with a Cheyenne language immersion class offered through the Dull Knife College. Standing Bear and Longmire are faced with confronting Arbitus, the formidable college librarian who has made the arrangements for the class. The chief of the Northern Cheyenne declined to help them negotiate with her, claiming, “That librarian over at the college is mean. I don’t like to mess with her…She’s in charge of all the books over there and she’s full blood-that’s pretty much the worst of both worlds.” Instead, Henry and Walt resort to scouting out an alternative location. Sheriff Longmire finds himself dispensing wedding advice to the greatest legal mind of our time and coaching a rookie officer on police procedure.

More light-hearted than Hell is Empty, we touch base with several returning characters including Lonnie Little Bird, FBI agent Cliff Cly and Rezdawg. Johnson introduces a new character, Tribal Police Chief Lolo Long, who has a possible murder to solve with very little police training but a huge chip on her shoulder. Johnson’s characters are the kinds of people you would want as friends. They are intriguing and funny yet incredibly human and resourceful.

Johnson’s other books include (in order), The Cold Dish, Death Without Company, Kindness Goes Unpunished, Another Man’s Moccasins, The Dark Horse, Junkyard Dogs and Hell is Empty. All of these books can be found on the shelves of the Lied Scottsbluff Public Library.
  barefootcowgirl | Jul 29, 2016 |
Walt’s down from the mountain and the weather has thankfully turned toward spring. As he prepares for his daughter Cady’s wedding Walt is drawn into investigating a suspicious death on the Crow reservation in Montana when a woman falls to her death in front of him and Henry Standing Bear. Along the way, Walt gives “sheriff lessons” to a headstrong Indian woman who's recently been named the tribal chief of police. I really enjoyed the mystery in this one, and the characters are always fun to spend time with. ( )
  rosalita | May 12, 2016 |
The Indians survived our open intention of wiping them out, and since the tide turned they have even weathered our good intentions toward them, which can be much more deadly. - John Steinbeck, America and Americans
For Marcus Red Thunder, who like Henry knows which way the wind blows
I wanna know what Katrina Walks Nice did to get kicked out of a joint like this for sixty-one days.
Please distinguish between Craig Johnson's 2012 novel, As the Crow Flies (Book 8 in the "Walt Longmire" Series), and Jeffrey Archer's 1991 novel of the same title. Thank you.

When the site of his daughter's upcoming wedding burns down, Wyoming Sheriff Walt Longmire and his friend, Henry Standing Bear, witness the falling death of a young Crow woman and are recruited into an investigation that incites the wrath of the bride-to-be.… (more)

123 wanted2 pay1 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,285,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible