As the Crow Flies: A Walt Longmire Mystery…

As the Crow Flies: A Walt Longmire Mystery (Walt Longmire Mysteries) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Craig Johnson

Title:As the Crow Flies: A Walt Longmire Mystery (Walt Longmire Mysteries)
Authors:Craig Johnson
Info:Viking Adult (2012), Hardcover, 320 pages

As the Crow Flies by Craig Johnson (2012)

My 8th book by Johnson, and, oddly enough, the 8th book in the Longmire series. I read books 1 through 3 between Feb 3 and May 27th (1 or 2 days each, not four months). Read books 4 through 8 between Sept. 3rd and Sept. 14th. Apparently my reading of this series has picked up a little speed. And I've still to see an episode of that tv series each book seems to want to tell me about on the book cover.

Let me see. A super rare event occurs in this specific book. An entire Longmire book occurs and . . . Longmire doesn't end up either complaining about the cold, or marching through snow drifts. Weird, I know.

So. Longmire's daughter is getting married. Longmire's helping. Badly. The place Cady dreams of having her wedding, has set a date for, has reserved months ago has suddenly, two weeks before the date of the planned wedding . . . been taken over by . . . I'm not sure what to care her. Stubborn Cheyenne librarian? Well, said librarian has taken over the wedding spot and proclaimed that a cultural event will be occurring there. Not a wedding. I forgot to mention - the wedding spot is on the Cheyenne Reservation and is kind of culturally important. So, naturally, some attempt is made to change her mind.

So. While that is going on, Longmire and Henry Standing Bear head off to check out a potential substitute spot. Painted Warrior something something. I just recall it being called "Painted Warrior". Walt Longmire and the Bear stand around examining said substitute. Take pictures. While Walt's taking a picture he captures someone falling. From high up the cliffs. They rush over and find a dying woman. Dog howls. Sheriff keeps trying to shush him. Then looks over. Spots a baby.

While rushing the baby to the hospital, . . . well, while moving the pickup truck from out of the entrance to the emergency room, the sheriff is arrested by the new police chief for the reservation. Chief Lolo Long.

Once the idea of a dead woman is finally pushed into Long's head, they head over to look at it. At the base of the cliffs. Federal agents show up. Eventually. And now, and only now, do I realize that the action that has been so far described actually has been taking place in . . . Montana. If that had been mentioned before, I completley overlooked it. I found out because one of the FBI agents, the one, specifically in charge of the FBI people, makes a comment about whether or not there is cell phone reception in Montana.

So. For one reason or another, the FBI slide back and let the locals run the investigation. Being basically brand new to law enforcement, the police chief reluctantly accepts Sheriff Longmire's help. Longmire, it should be noted, is not only not in his own county, he isn't even in his own state. On Cheyenne Reservation land.

So. Longmire investigates, with Long, the dead woman. Running around with a brand new police chief with a certain amount of PTSD, while attempting to, at the same time, handle some wedding issues that have cropped up.

It was a somewhat different book than normal, though I'm not sure what specifically I mean. I mean, different more than just the lack of cold and/or snow. I liked the underlying mysteries, cultural clashes, characterizations, etc. Good solid book. Maybe closer to 4.5 than 5 stars. I'll have to think about whether to bump the book up to 5 stars, or not. ( )
  Lexxi | Sep 15, 2015 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Sep 1, 2015 |
Another excellent read in this series. This book had a different feel than most - much lighter & more humorous. I did not get the dark sense of doom and danger present in so many. Really enjoyed the new character introduced - Sheriff Lolo Long - it will be interesting to see her role evolve in future books. ( )
  labdaddy4 | Aug 4, 2015 |
”I thought about how this was not how it was supposed to end, with her providing cab service for the Feds and me walking away. In a perfect cinematic world we would’ve captured the bad guys in spectacular fashion with explosions, car chases, and a parting kiss. She would’ve been played by Ava Gardner, and I would’ve been played by Robert Taylor.”

The irony...

Great book, although I gussed the who dunnit correctly, which is good of me, but I like to be surprised. I missed Vic, I hope she is has a larger part in the next book. ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 11, 2014 |
Craig Johnson's "As the Crow Flies" is a penetrating story of life on the Indian Reservation dealing with poverty and desolation of the inhabitants.

Sheriff Walt Longmire is looking for a place to have his daughter's wedding. He's with his friend, Henry Standing Bear, who is acting as wedding planner.

The novel was written as if we are viewing the action from the character's shoulders. It is very picturesque and realistic. There is a TV series about the adventures of Sheriff Longmire that has become very popular.

While Walt and Henry are searching for a wedding spot, a woman falls to her death from a nearby cliff. Luckily, her infant survives.

Each character is finely drawn with the list of suspects is long and Walt works with Chief Lola Long, Cheyenne Tribal Police Chief in looking for the woman's killer.

This is a well done story that gradually unfolds before the reader while keeping the reader's attention from the start. ( )
  mikedraper | Jul 19, 2013 |
The Indians survived our open intention of wiping them out, and since the tide turned they have even weathered our good intentions toward them, which can be much more deadly. - John Steinbeck, America and Americans
For Marcus Red Thunder, who like Henry knows which way the wind blows
I wanna know what Katrina Walks Nice did to get kicked out of a joint like this for sixty-one days.
Please distinguish between Craig Johnson's 2012 novel, As the Crow Flies (Book 8 in the "Walt Longmire" Series), and Jeffrey Archer's 1991 novel of the same title. Thank you.

When the site of his daughter's upcoming wedding burns down, Wyoming Sheriff Walt Longmire and his friend, Henry Standing Bear, witness the falling death of a young Crow woman and are recruited into an investigation that incites the wrath of the bride-to-be.… (more)

115 wanted2 pay1 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,814,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible