As the Crow Flies: A Walt Longmire Mystery…

As the Crow Flies: A Walt Longmire Mystery (Walt Longmire Mysteries) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Craig Johnson

Member:historycycles
Title:As the Crow Flies: A Walt Longmire Mystery (Walt Longmire Mysteries)
Authors:Craig Johnson
Info:Viking Adult (2012), Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:*****

As the Crow Flies by Craig Johnson (2012)

”I thought about how this was not how it was supposed to end, with her providing cab service for the Feds and me walking away. In a perfect cinematic world, we would’ve captured the bad guys in spectacular fashion with explosions, car chases, and a parting kiss. She would’ve been played by Ava Gardner, and I would’ve been played by Robert Taylor.”

The irony...

Great book, although I guessed the whodunnit correctly, which is good of me, but I like to be surprised. I missed Vic, I hope she is has a larger part in the next book. ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
That's now seven Longmire books finished in two months - Johnson needs to start writing faster or I need to find another author with a lengthy canon. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
As the Crow Flies opens with Henry Standing Bear planning Cady Longmire’s wedding. Only weeks before the wedding he discovers the outdoor venue is double-booked with a Cheyenne language immersion class offered through the Dull Knife College. Standing Bear and Longmire are faced with confronting Arbitus, the formidable college librarian who has made the arrangements for the class. The chief of the Northern Cheyenne declined to help them negotiate with her, claiming, “That librarian over at the college is mean. I don’t like to mess with her…She’s in charge of all the books over there and she’s full blood-that’s pretty much the worst of both worlds.” Instead, Henry and Walt resort to scouting out an alternative location. Sheriff Longmire finds himself dispensing wedding advice to the greatest legal mind of our time and coaching a rookie officer on police procedure.

More light-hearted than Hell is Empty, we touch base with several returning characters including Lonnie Little Bird, FBI agent Cliff Cly and Rezdawg. Johnson introduces a new character, Tribal Police Chief Lolo Long, who has a possible murder to solve with very little police training but a huge chip on her shoulder. Johnson’s characters are the kinds of people you would want as friends. They are intriguing and funny yet incredibly human and resourceful.

Johnson’s other books include (in order), The Cold Dish, Death Without Company, Kindness Goes Unpunished, Another Man’s Moccasins, The Dark Horse, Junkyard Dogs and Hell is Empty. All of these books can be found on the shelves of the Lied Scottsbluff Public Library.
  barefootcowgirl | Jul 29, 2016 |
Walt’s down from the mountain and the weather has thankfully turned toward spring. As he prepares for his daughter Cady’s wedding Walt is drawn into investigating a suspicious death on the Crow reservation in Montana when a woman falls to her death in front of him and Henry Standing Bear. Along the way, Walt gives “sheriff lessons” to a headstrong Indian woman who's recently been named the tribal chief of police. I really enjoyed the mystery in this one, and the characters are always fun to spend time with. ( )
  rosalita | May 12, 2016 |
As the story opens, Walt is feeling rather harassed as the planning for Cady's wedding has hit a major snag - the venue chosen has become unavailable. While Henry and Walt are trying to find another suitable location on the Rez they witness a woman fall to her death. Accident? Suicide? Murder? Although out of his jurisdiction, Walt becomes involved in the investigation anyway as the new Tribal Police Chief is out of her depth and finally requests help. Another interesting episode in Walt's life and a new character in Lolo Long.
  hailelib | Apr 13, 2016 |
The Indians survived our open intention of wiping them out, and since the tide turned they have even weathered our good intentions toward them, which can be much more deadly. - John Steinbeck, America and Americans
For Marcus Red Thunder, who like Henry knows which way the wind blows
I wanna know what Katrina Walks Nice did to get kicked out of a joint like this for sixty-one days.
Please distinguish between Craig Johnson's 2012 novel, As the Crow Flies (Book 8 in the "Walt Longmire" Series), and Jeffrey Archer's 1991 novel of the same title. Thank you.

When the site of his daughter's upcoming wedding burns down, Wyoming Sheriff Walt Longmire and his friend, Henry Standing Bear, witness the falling death of a young Crow woman and are recruited into an investigation that incites the wrath of the bride-to-be.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,421,677 books! | Top bar: Always visible