As the Crow Flies: A Walt Longmire Mystery…

As the Crow Flies: A Walt Longmire Mystery (Walt Longmire Mysteries) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Craig Johnson

Member:historycycles
Title:As the Crow Flies: A Walt Longmire Mystery (Walt Longmire Mysteries)
Authors:Craig Johnson
Info:Viking Adult (2012), Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:*****

As the Crow Flies by Craig Johnson (2012)

As the Crow Flies opens with Henry Standing Bear planning Cady Longmire’s wedding. Only weeks before the wedding he discovers the outdoor venue is double-booked with a Cheyenne language immersion class offered through the Dull Knife College. Standing Bear and Longmire are faced with confronting Arbitus, the formidable college librarian who has made the arrangements for the class. The chief of the Northern Cheyenne declined to help them negotiate with her, claiming, “That librarian over at the college is mean. I don’t like to mess with her…She’s in charge of all the books over there and she’s full blood-that’s pretty much the worst of both worlds.” Instead, Henry and Walt resort to scouting out an alternative location. Sheriff Longmire finds himself dispensing wedding advice to the greatest legal mind of our time and coaching a rookie officer on police procedure.

More light-hearted than Hell is Empty, we touch base with several returning characters including Lonnie Little Bird, FBI agent Cliff Cly and Rezdawg. Johnson introduces a new character, Tribal Police Chief Lolo Long, who has a possible murder to solve with very little police training but a huge chip on her shoulder. Johnson’s characters are the kinds of people you would want as friends. They are intriguing and funny yet incredibly human and resourceful.

Johnson’s other books include (in order), The Cold Dish, Death Without Company, Kindness Goes Unpunished, Another Man’s Moccasins, The Dark Horse, Junkyard Dogs and Hell is Empty. All of these books can be found on the shelves of the Lied Scottsbluff Public Library.
  barefootcowgirl | Jul 29, 2016 |
Walt’s down from the mountain and the weather has thankfully turned toward spring. As he prepares for his daughter Cady’s wedding Walt is drawn into investigating a suspicious death on the Crow reservation in Montana when a woman falls to her death in front of him and Henry Standing Bear. Along the way, Walt gives “sheriff lessons” to a headstrong Indian woman who's recently been named the tribal chief of police. I really enjoyed the mystery in this one, and the characters are always fun to spend time with. ( )
  rosalita | May 12, 2016 |
As the story opens, Walt is feeling rather harassed as the planning for Cady's wedding has hit a major snag - the venue chosen has become unavailable. While Henry and Walt are trying to find another suitable location on the Rez they witness a woman fall to her death. Accident? Suicide? Murder? Although out of his jurisdiction, Walt becomes involved in the investigation anyway as the new Tribal Police Chief is out of her depth and finally requests help. Another interesting episode in Walt's life and a new character in Lolo Long.
  hailelib | Apr 13, 2016 |
Walt Longmire and his best friend, Henry Standing Bear, are on the Reservation looking at a potential site for Walt's daughter, Cady's, wedding when they see someone fall to their death. Walt is already way behind schedule with his assigned tasks for Cady's wedding, and a suspicious death isn't going to help. Although Walt is out of his jurisdiction, the new and inexperienced chief of the tribal police grudgingly accepts his help with the investigation. Walt will be in big trouble with Cady if the case isn't wrapped up in plenty of time for the wedding.

I loved the Reservation setting for this series installment. Henry Standing Bear is one of my favorite characters, and I was glad to see so much of him in this book. I love that Walt and Henry know each other so well that they each know that the other has his back without a need for verbal communication. Another of my favorite characters, Lonnie Little Bird, makes an appearance in this book. Um hmm, yes, it is so. I am not a fan of the on-again-off-again romance between Walt and his deputy, Vic Moretti, and I didn't miss her in this one. She spent most of the book at a training seminar in Omaha. Unfortunately, the tribal police chief's vocabulary is almost as colorful as Vic's, so there wasn't a noticeable decrease in profanity in Vic's absence.

I do wish that Craig Johnson would come up with names that aren't so similar. I had a hard time keeping track of Lolo (tribal police chief), Lola (Henry's Thunderbird), and Lena, (Cady's future mother-in-law and Vic's mother).

This book might work alright as a stand-alone, but it would work better if read in order. Walt's personal life is as important as his job, and his relationships with secondary characters develop over the course of the series. There are references to events from the earlier books in the series, although I didn't notice any glaring spoilers. ( )
  cbl_tn | Apr 11, 2016 |
Every time I pick up a book in the Walt Longmire series, I'm transported across the country and into the story. It's like visiting close friends and participating in a murder investigation without leaving home. The story is always exciting and fun, yet I'm guaranteed a tug on the heart strings. In this installment, Walt and Henry are search for an alternative wedding venue for Cady after a tribal workshop takes over her preferred destination. While checking out an area at the base of Painted Warrior Cliffs, a body falls from above and Walt is reluctantly drawn into yet another murder investigation.

This installment had all the red herrings, twists, and exceptional writing I've come to expect and appreciate from Craig Johnson. His characters are never boring. The newest edition to the pack is Chief Lolo Long, a former military medic with a big attitude and very few law-enforcement or people skills. I have a demented wish to see Lolo and Vic alone in the same room...maybe in the next book. They are both tough women with no verbal filter, but I can't help it. I like both of them. I'm constantly amazed that Johnson comes up with completely fresh ideas in each of his books, providing a completely new adventure for the reader. I cannot recommend this series high enough! ( )
1 vote Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
The Indians survived our open intention of wiping them out, and since the tide turned they have even weathered our good intentions toward them, which can be much more deadly. - John Steinbeck, America and Americans
For Marcus Red Thunder, who like Henry knows which way the wind blows
I wanna know what Katrina Walks Nice did to get kicked out of a joint like this for sixty-one days.
Please distinguish between Craig Johnson's 2012 novel, As the Crow Flies (Book 8 in the "Walt Longmire" Series), and Jeffrey Archer's 1991 novel of the same title. Thank you.

When the site of his daughter's upcoming wedding burns down, Wyoming Sheriff Walt Longmire and his friend, Henry Standing Bear, witness the falling death of a young Crow woman and are recruited into an investigation that incites the wrath of the bride-to-be.… (more)

123 wanted2 pay1 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,169,205 books! | Top bar: Always visible