C D B! by William Steig

C D B!

by William Steig

412None26,275 (3.87)4
ABC (3) alphabet (7) cartoons (6) children (11) children's (31) children's book (3) children's books (5) comics (2) fiction (17) games (5) humor (29) juvenile (3) kids (5) language (5) letters (8) non-fiction (6) own (3) pb (3) phonics (6) picture (4) picture book (27) poetry (4) puzzles (16) read (4) school (3) steig (3) William Steig (3) word games (7) wordplay (18) words (2)

C D B! by William Steig. Simon and Schuster Children's Publishing. Copy right 1968. pg. 47

Type of Book: ABC Book

Summary: This book is not written in real words. One example is C D B! Which says see the bee. And goes on to say D B S A B-Z B. Saying the bee is a busy bee. All throughout the book it does this for many different scenarios. The answers to what they are supposed to say are in the back of the book.

Response: This book is confusing even for me. I had a hard time coming up with some of them too. I think that if you gave this to a child than they would be all confused on spelling and speaking and it would be a mess. I do not think this is a good book for children to be using but it does make your mind think hard and it would be good to use in high school with those kids rather than in elementary.
  singleton2012 | Mar 18, 2014 |
This is the most awesome book for kids in the world. I remember this book like it was yesterday. Making the sounds and trying to figure out which words they were trying to mean. When I got each one I was simply enthralled. I would do the happy dance all through the halls into the kitchen to show my Mom that I had succeeded. I was a happy girl. In a sense I was reading, even though I was too young to read at the time. Even now, I remember how happy this book made me.

As an example, the books name CDB comes with a picture of a large bee and a flower - meaning

S e e t h e B e e

When I recognized that I was ecstatic. I was over the moon. To this day those three letters in succession will make me smile. I think all parents should get their kids this book. Make their brains work hard for rewards, instead of having everything presented to them on a silver platter in multimedia. How else will their brains grow if you don't?

CDB is one of my all time favorite childrens books and I absolutely love it. ( )
  Molecular | Feb 21, 2014 |
  BRCSBooks | Dec 11, 2013 |
Another delightful book by William Steig! I enjoyed sharing this one with my students, and I've kept a personal copy of it after all these years. Figuring some of the words out reminds me of deciphering some car license plates. The delight in figuring some of them out put a smile on my face! I hadn't picked this book up in several years, so a few of them took me a few seconds to figure out! Didn't mind, though--that much longer to enjoy! The illustrations are fun, and there's a key to the letter-sentences in the back of the book. ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
Okay, this book is VERY confusing!! Steig uses letters as codes on the pages, which he defines in the back. The illustrations give some hints to decoding the letters, but not too much. I had a difficult time trying to translate the codes. I wouldn't read this book out loud without first studying the definitions because I wouldn't want to look like a fool. However, I bet the kids would have a blast laughing at me trying and I can almost guarantee that they would get the translations faster and better than I could. ( )
  Klefort | Sep 19, 2012 |
C D B!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671666894, Paperback)

William Steig--The New Yorker cartoonist and revered creator of the Caldecott Medalist Sylvester and the Magic Pebble, Abel's Island, and dozens of other magnificent books--first wrote and illustrated the original, black-and-white edition of CDB! more than 30 years ago. Adding splashes of watercolor on larger, broader pages (and an answer key in the back!), Steig brings new life to his well-loved favorite. For the uninitiated, "C D B!" translates to "See the bee!" Other letter codes are more challenging, such as the boy leaning on a tree saying "I F-N N-E N-R-G" or a droopy decrepit man slouching in a chair labeled "O-L H." Once you get used to this abbreviated Steig-speak, all (or at least most) will become clear--"X" sometimes means "eggs," "D" is sometimes "the," and "S" can be "is" or "has," for example. Or, you can just read the letters out loud over and over until the proper phrase emerges plain as day. (The pictures help, too, of course!) Those who crave more wordplay will want to explore CDC? This book is nothing less than X-L-N, and no home where words are celebrated should be without it. (Ages 5 to 105) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:41 -0400)

Letters and numbers are used to create the sounds of words and simple sentences 4 u 2 figure out with the aid of illustrations.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,466,486 books! | Top bar: Always visible