Zoo Doings: Animal Poems by Jack Prelutsky

Zoo Doings: Animal Poems

by Jack Prelutsky

This book of poetry is full of poems on animals. Each poem focuses on one particular animal, which describes their characteristics, personality, and habitat. I would like to use this book in my class because it is really interesting and funny, the author made all of the stories rhyme.This book is good for 3rd readers to read. ( )
  LinWang | Feb 19, 2017 |
Zoo Things is a children poetry book about animals. This book tells that different animals have different appearances, habits traits. I would like to use this book in my teaching, because it is really interesting and uses lots of language jokes.In the meanwhile, kids can learn about the different animals by rhyme poetry. This book is good for 2nd and 3rd readers to read. ( )
  CNKE94297 | Feb 3, 2017 |
This collection of forty-six short animal poems use humor and alliteration to colorfully detail different animals at the zoo in fun rhythm and rhyme. Most appropriate for K-3 read alouds, this figurative language can be used to prompt creative writing and thinking. ( )
  Ali.Simon | Nov 4, 2016 |
I really like this book and think it is appropriate for K-3 as a read aloud. I would specifically use it in 3rd grade to have the studentspick their own animal and write a poem about it using figurative language. ( )
  SarahSangalli | Mar 9, 2016 |
I like these poems because of the clever wit within them. For example, The Bengal Tiger, "the Bengal tiger likes to eat enormous quantities of meat. Now people have been heard to say that tigers hypnotize their prey. So please do not take foolish chances; avoid the Bengal tiger's glances." I like this because not only is it informative, but it is also witty and will grab your attention. Another poem I particularly liked was, The Lion, "the lion has a golden mane and under it a clever brain. He lies around and idly roars and lets the lioness do the chores." This poem is so simple but so humorous to me. I really like that there are poems for every kind of animal you could think of at the zoo. There are poems on mice, zebras, fish, walrus, chameleons and etc.

There is not a big message within these poems but there is a common theme----animals. These are all animals that you could find in the zoo and they range from snakes, gophers, yaks, rabbits, and wallaby's and more. I don't really understand most of the poems enough to pull a message out of any of them and this also applies to the book as a whole. ( )
  LexaGoldbeck | Apr 13, 2015 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0688017827, Hardcover)

Make way for a zany zoo-full of wonderful poems saluting the animal kingdom, composed by a reigning children's poet, Jack Prelutsky. Readers familiar with Prelutsky's staggeringly vast body of work know that he can always be counted on for clever nonsense poems that are guaranteed to elicit giggles. His track record remains unbeatable with this wacky collection of animal odes. Some poems resemble the work of Ogden Nash ("Oysters / are creatures / without / any features."), and others have a style and flavor that is pure Prelutsky ("The widdly, waddly walrus / has flippery, floppery feet. / He dives in the ocean for dinner / and stands on his noggin to eat.").

These playfully preposterous rhymes are illustrated by Paul O. Zelinsky, winner of the 1998 Caldecott Medal for Rapunzel. The delightful line drawings that scamper across the pages bring creatures such as the huge hippopotamus, the gallivanting gecko, and the speedy cheetah to rib-tickling life. Kids will love parading through these poems, and adults will get a kick out of playing along too. (Ages 4 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:19 -0400)

A collection of forty-six animal poems.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,032,684 books! | Top bar: Always visible