Cruise Control by Terry Trueman

Cruise Control (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Terry Trueman

171969,515 (3.84)2
Member:gortonraidersread
Title:Cruise Control
Authors:Terry Trueman
Info:HarperTeen (2004), Edition: 1St Edition, Hardcover, 149 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:teen, family, disabilities

Cruise Control by Terry Trueman (2004)

Whale Talk by Chris Crutcher (meggyweg)
    Out of Order by A. M. Jenkins (meggyweg)
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Companion novels, the same story from different perspectives.

It’s a good book very intriguing and also has a great moral behind the story. I read this book because of the title and cover.
  edspicer | Jun 2, 2013 |
Not-very-compelling companion to Stuck in Neutral, from the brother's POV. Paul's voice isn't as powerful and we get no real character from him besides "anger issues," which isn't a trait, really. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 31, 2013 |
"Cruise Control" is a book about Paul, a boy who is full of anger and rage and has to deal with the repercussions of his dad leaving his family. Paul also has to deal with his brother, Shawn, who has cerebral palsy. Paul can't understand how he is suppose to love his brother when he can't show love and emotion, much less know what it is. As the story develops, Paul learns that it is okay to love his brother and how he needs to be there for him. ( )
  akrause | Nov 19, 2012 |
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

I have a confession to make. I actually wasn't going to start reading CRUISE CONTROL for another week or two. After all, I had just read INSIDE OUT and STUCK IN NEUTRAL in quick succession. I have a lot of other books on my reviewing plate, and I didn't want anyone to think I had a Terry Trueman obsession. But then I decided, "I want to read this book now, I probably do have a Terry Trueman obsession, and no one is going to stop me!" So...that's my story, I'm sticking to it, and now for the story of CRUISE CONTROL...

This book is billed as the companion book to STUCK IN NEUTRAL, not a sequel. And for good reason. This book doesn't pick up where STUCK IN NEUTRAL leaves off, although I would recommend reading that one first, if for no other reason than to learn the history of Shawn McDaniel and his family. CRUISE CONTROL is the story of Paul McDaniel, older brother to Shawn and sister Cindy, son of a prize-winning poet father who abandoned their family and a mother who works hard to take care of her children.

Paul is fully aware of the unfairness and inconsistencies in his life. He's the star of the basketball team--his brother is a veg, confined to his wheelchair and unable to control any of his movements, from blinking his eyelids to swallowing his food. Paul is always angry, even to the point of physically attacking virtual strangers--his brother is unable to show any emotion, at all from love to annoyance. He hates his father for leaving the family--and yet wonders what it would be like for him to be a bigger part of it. Paul's life is, for all accounts and purposes, messed up. As his sister, Cindy, puts it: "There's no way I'll ever believe that the problems a brother like Shawn brings to a family are 'gifts from God.'"

As Paul discovers that his father might not have left the family due to abandonment, as his feelings of rage turn to shame for a secret he's kept way too long, Paul realizes the truth that his mother has long known: "It's okay to love your brother."

CRUISE CONTROL is Paul's story, and it's just as heartfelt and genuine as Shawn's. I'm sorry to leave the McDaniel family behind, but at least it's with the feeling of love and respect, and not sorrow and shame. ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 10, 2009 |
wishlist
  annenz | Jun 11, 2009 |

How sick is this: I'm the major jock-stud in high school, but my brother has the brain of a badminton birdie and a body to match. I've got everything and he's got nothing. I'm a three-year, three-sport letterman and Shawn can't even stand up! Like I said, sick, huh?

It's hard to be a brother to someone who doesn't even know you're there. How can you talk to him when he can't understand a thing you say? How can you listen to him when he can't speak a word? How can you love him when he's so messed up, he can't love you back? And how can you have a life of your own when your father bailed on the family, leaving you to be the "man of the house"?

Fueled by rage at what has happened to his family, Paul is ready to explode. And he is haunted by something even worse—something he can never tell anyone. It is something he will have to face if he is to have any hope of a future at all. While Cruise Control is a companion to Terry Trueman's Printz Honor book, Stuck in Neutral, it is the completely independent story of a family's "other" son—the one who is healthy, gifted, normal. It is a courageously hopeful story told with power, compassion, and humor.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:38 -0400)

A talented basketball player struggles to deal with the helplessness and anger that come with having a brother rendered completely dysfunctional by severe cerebral palsy and a father who deserted the family.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,732,503 books! | Top bar: Always visible