A Game of Thrones / A Clash of Kings (A Song…

A Game of Thrones / A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1-2)

by George R. R. Martin

This took me a bit longer than the first because I had books I had to read first in between but I'm still enjoying this series. I felt a bit cheated at the end of this one, however, where I didn't with the first. I think it's just my aversion to cliffhangers of any kind. I need to have closure, damn it. I dove into number 3 the moment I finished the last page though, so I can't complain. Now, if I had to wait for the next book to be published like others had to, I'd be irate. That's not the case, so I'll rub that in a bit. ;)

Things are really heating up by the end of this book, and I'm still strangely in love with Jaime and Tyrion. I can't help it. Robb is also becoming quite interesting, and I love Ayra of course. Jon is waning, I hope his character gets some balls soon. ( )
  ReneeMiller | Feb 25, 2016 |
Kind of a long slog, not as good as the first book of the series. Martin feels the need to alternate each chapter between characters making it tough to maintain continuity of the story, especially given the number of characters he parades in and out of each scene. Also, he uses the second book to impart the backstory he missed in the first.

Where the first book seems written for the screen, this one is going to be tough for the HBO crew to translate for the series.

dham340 | May 10, 2015 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553573403, Mass Market Paperback)

Readers of epic fantasy series are: (1) patient--they are left in suspense between each volume, (2) persistent--they reread or at least review the previous book(s) when a new installment comes out, (3) strong--these 700-page doorstoppers are heavy, and (4) mentally agile--they follow a host of characters through a myriad of subplots. In A Game of Thrones, the first book of a projected six, George R.R. Martin rewards readers with a vividly real world, well-drawn characters, complex but coherent plotting, and beautifully constructed prose, which Locus called "well above the norms of the genre."

Martin's Seven Kingdoms resemble England during the Wars of the Roses, with the Stark and Lannister families standing in for the Yorks and Lancasters. The story of these two families and their struggle to control the Iron Throne dominates the foreground; in the background is a huge, ancient wall marking the northern border, beyond which barbarians, ice vampires, and direwolves menace the south as years-long winter advances. Abroad, a dragon princess lives among horse nomads and dreams of fiery reconquest.

There is much bloodshed, cruelty, and death, but A Game of Thrones is nevertheless compelling; it garnered a Nebula nomination and won the 1996 Locus Award for Best Fantasy Novel. So, on to A Clash of Kings! --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:35 -0400)

Game of Thrones: Long ago, in a time forgotten, a preternatural event threw the seasons out of balance. In a land where summers can last decades and winters a lifetime, trouble is brewing. The cold is returning, and in the frozen wastes to the north of Winterfell, sinister and supernatural forces are massing beyond the kingdom's protective Wall. At the center of the conflict lie the Starks of Winterfell, a family as harsh and unyielding as the land they were born to. Sweeping from a land of brutal cold to a distant summertime kingdom of epicurean plenty, here is a tale of lords and ladies, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and bastards, who come together in a time of grim omens. Here an enigmatic band of warriors bear swords of no human metal; a tribe of fierce wildlings carry men off into madness; a cruel young dragon prince barters his sister to win back his throne; and a determined woman undertakes the most treacherous of journeys. Amid plots and counterplots, tragedy and betrayal, victory and terror, the fate of the Starks, their allies, and their enemies hangs perilously in the balance, as each endeavors to win that deadliest of conflicts: the game of thrones. Clash of Kings: A comet the color of blood and flame cuts across the sky. And from the ancient citadel of Dragonstone to the forbidding shores of Winterfell, chaos reigns. Six factions struggle for control of a divided land and the Iron Throne of the Seven Kingdoms, preparing to stake their claims through tempest, turmoil, and war. It is a tale in which brother plots against brother and the dead rise to walk in the night. Here a princess masquerades as an orphan boy; a knight of the mind prepares a poison for a treacherous sorceress; and wild men descend from the Mountains of the Moon to ravage the countryside. Against a backdrop of incest and fratricide, alchemy and murder, victory may go to the men and women possessed of the coldest steel ... and the coldest hearts. For when kings clash, the whole land trembles.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,363,182 books! | Top bar: Always visible