Devil in the Details: Scenes from an…

Devil in the Details: Scenes from an Obsessive Girlhood (original 2004; edition 2006)

by Jennifer Traig

Member:michka
Title:Devil in the Details: Scenes from an Obsessive Girlhood
Authors:Jennifer Traig
Info:Back Bay Books (2006), Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:***

Devil in the Details: Scenes from an Obsessive Girlhood by Jennifer Traig (2004)

Probably closer to three stars, except it hit a couple of my favorite topics (childhood mental disorder, and the minutiae of any kind of strict religion). ( )
  chelseaknits | Dec 14, 2017 |
This is painfully booooooooring........her "scrupulosity" shows itself in the details of her writing.

My favorite quote from her rules for playing "Musical Chairs" (or where to decide where to sit in the house):
"9. Players may not sit on the floor, because this prompts your Father to yell, 'This isn't Morocco, and in this house we sit on the chairs, damnit.' To sit on the floor is to disrespect your parents. Furthermore, as your Father points out, 'If you're worried about impurity, the floor is the last place you should be sitting. As far as the pets are concerned, the floor is just one big shag-pile toilet.' "

I thought that was funny, but not too much else.....

I did learn that OCD is a central brain dysfunction and it seems to suit those OCDs with religious "scrupulosity". ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
This book made my teenage years look mild. ( )
  Stembie3 | Jun 14, 2015 |
I didn’t know a memoir of an obsessive-compulsive teenager could be so hysterical, but I found myself laughing at every page. Seeing the world through her eyes was both enlightening and unsettling. She had a form of OCD called ‘scrupulosity’ which is when a person feels compelled to stringently observe commandments—unfortunately Traig didn’t have much religious training so she made up her prayers and commandments. From her toddler years and the compulsion to tap the bookcases to her teen years and her inability to park a car without doing damage to light poles, kerbs and other stationary objects this is a singular memoir. ( )
  vlcraven | Jan 19, 2015 |
This was really great. She's a great writer, and I hadn't really known what I was getting into when I started it. I knew it was about OCD of course, but I hadn't known about the religious aspect and I found that really interesting and different from other OCD memoirs I've read. She definitely has something valuable to add to a genre that can be overcrowded with similar stories. ( )
  earthforms | Feb 2, 2014 |
For my family, Alain, Judith, and Vicky, who have the patience of saints
My father and I were in the laundry room and we were having a crisis.
They had raised me to express my Jewishness by renting Woody Allen movies, not by keeping kosher and observing Shabbat.
With all the swaying, flailing, and outbursts, a Jewish congregation could easily be mistaken for a Tourette’s convention.
There are many things I like about Judaism. I like that it encourages napping and liberal consumption of saturated fats, that it requires you to wear new clothes on some holidays and to eat cheesecake on others. But what I like best is that it encourages catered affairs for middle-schoolers

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031601074X, Paperback)

Recalling the agony of growing up as an obsessive-compulsive religious fanatic, Traig fearlessly confesses the most peculiar behaviour - like scrubbing her hands for a full half-hour before meals, feeding her stuffed animals before herself, and washing everything she owned because she thought it was contaminated by pork fumes!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:07 -0400)

"Being a teenager is hard enough. Jennifer Traig's adolescence took angst to new heights, adding a layer of obsessive-compulsive drama that made ordinary mortifications like bad hairstyles and fashion errors feel like the good parts. Devil in the Details is her unforgettable, hilarious, wrenching account of growing up weird." "Jennifer Traig's adventures in obsession began at the age of twelve, when her religious studies introduced her to a body of rules that she hadn't known existed. This unleashed a level of religiosity completely alien to her upbringing. Psychiatrists call this disorder scrupulosity - her family just called it strange. Fervent prayer was only the beginning. On a given day, Jennifer might be putting all her possessions in the washing machine to cleanse them of the pork fumes emanating from the kitchen. Or clipping the lawn according to Old Testament regulations. Or covering her hair with Kleenex while she maintained her constant state of prayer." "Jennifer's family treated her condition with humor ("Ready for your big casserolectomy, Dr. Traig?" her mother asked as Jennifer scrubbed her hands for thirty minutes before a meal). But her obsessions wore increasingly on her, her family, and her few friends, leading to a crisis that not even joining every single school club, no matter her level of interest, could save her from."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,063,834 books! | Top bar: Always visible