Georgia in Hawaii: When Georgia…

Georgia in Hawaii: When Georgia O'Keeffe Painted What She Pleased (edition 2012)

by Amy Novesky, Yuyi Morales (Illustrator)

Member:carolcavedon
Title:Georgia in Hawaii: When Georgia O'Keeffe Painted What She Pleased
Authors:Amy Novesky
Other authors:Yuyi Morales (Illustrator)
Info:Harcourt Children's Books (2012), Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Picture Book

Georgia in Hawaii: When Georgia O'Keeffe Painted What She Pleased by Amy Novesky

As an adult reader, the text raised a lot of questions: Did the company commission O'Keeffe to paint a pineapple? Did they pay for her travels and her stay in return? Or was it less official? ("Come visit and if you paint a pineapple we'll buy it"?) Because there's part of me that says, if you're an artist and you accept a commission, I don't care how free-spirited and independent-minded you are, you need to follow through and deliver what you promised. So that not-keeping-your-word element muddied the happy-creative-yaya aspects of the rest of the book for me. And did she take off to visit the other islands because she was refused access to the fields, or was that part of the plan all along? And the timing of the pineapple appearing "36 hours" after she decided to paint one...that's an interesting detail, but it's not clear why it's necessary to the story arc. It made me go back and re-read that page to see if there was something I missed. I really like the middle of this book--all the lush color and peering over an artist's shoulder to see what they are seeing and imaging how they are seeing it. But I'm a little fuzzy on the point of the rest of it.

And why, why, why don't we get to see a print of the finished pineapple painting??? ( )
  MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |

MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |
summery-
Georgia goes to Hawaii to pain a pineapple for a company, but the company won't let her stay by the farm so she decided she wasn't going to paint a pineapple. So she goes around Hawaii and ends up painting so many things but none of them was a pineapple. the company was mad. so she went ahead and gave the what they wanted and she painted a pineapple.

my point of view -
The painting in this book was wonderful! it showed many things about Hawaii that was beautiful.

Classroom
letting the students paint ( or drew if to messing to paint) what ever they want
teast some pineapple and other fruits! (but of course be careful of allergies! ) ( )
  Amanda.C | Oct 28, 2013 |
1 received 10/28/13 (R)
  RevolutionBooks | Oct 28, 2013 |
I liked Yuyi Morales' illustrations quite a lot, but I found the story odd. I think what I got out of it was that Georgia wanted to choose what she wanted to paint, and that she did not want to paint a pineapple. I just didn't quite get why I was supposed to care about this. ( )
  scote23 | Mar 30, 2013 |

Amy Noveskyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Morales, YuyiIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152054200, Hardcover)

Georgia O’Keeffe’s Hawaiian tour celebrates natural beauty and powerful artistic convictions.

Georgia O’Keeffe was famous for painting exactly what she wanted, whether flowers or skulls. Who would ever dare to tell her what to paint? The Hawaiian Pineapple Company tried. Luckily for them, Georgia fell in love with Hawaii. There she painted the beloved green islands, vibrant flowers, feathered fishhooks, and the blue, blue sea. But did she paint what the pineapple company wanted most of all? Amy Novesky’s lyrical telling of this little-known story and Yuyi Morales’s gorgeous paintings perfectly capture Georgia’s strong artistic spirit. The book includes an author’s note, illustrator’s note, bibliography, map of the islands, and endpapers that identify Georgia’s favorite Hawaiian flowers.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:21 -0400)

In 1939, artist Georgia O'Keeffe creates nearly twenty paintings as she tours the Hawaiian islands, but refuses to paint pictures of pineapples the way her sponsors tell her to.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,246,402 books! | Top bar: Always visible