Rebel Heart (Dust lands) by Moira Young

Rebel Heart (Dust lands) (edition 2012)

by Moira Young

Member:angeter1
Title:Rebel Heart (Dust lands)
Authors:Moira Young
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2012), Hardcover, 432 pages
Rating:***1/2

Rebel Heart by Moira Young

**Spoilers ahead, you’ve been warned**

First, it’s recommended you read Blood Red Road before you jump into this one. It starts off a little later in the storyline but it’s best to get your background information so you can better understand the second one of the series.

I notice with the second book of almost every series I’ve read, they hit a bump in the plotline and it either goes very well, or sometimes it goes not so good, or terribly bad. In this case, it went a little lackluster. However it wasn’t the best, but it wasn’t the worst either. I suppose sometimes it’s hard to live up to the how high the bar is set when the first novel was written and released. As readers, we expect the same kind of emotional excitement.

So what I notice is a trend in the second book of the series as well, the main character always, (almost always) have their emo moments. This brings the plot down and establishes a lull and you’re left with this mopey character who’s on a complete pity trip while things are hitting the fan everyone around them. For crying out loud Saba. Seriously? I did not expect this from you. Sure, we’re all entitled our own moments but what ever happened to the pick ourselves up and dust ourselves off and carry on motto? We need more of that instead of ‘woe is me the world is against me, I can’t take this anymore’ sort of thinking. So I’d have to say this aspect of the novel, I didn’t like so much.

I wasn’t expecting Saba to meet DeMalo so soon in the series. But oh my goodness he’s bloody insane. His way of thinking of his purpose makes you want to slug him one but you understand given the circumstances and the living conditions of the setting, yeah. It’s enough to make you go completely batshit crazy and think of these things as a way of survival or a way of life in order to make things ‘better’. What baffles me is….she ends up sleeping with him and just wow….seriously? Sleeping with the enemy doesn’t give you any bonus points here Saba darling. So...why? Just why? Don’t give me this emotional fragility crap. That’s getting old and useless.

The pace of the plot is noticeably slower given that perhaps this second book is going to be geared towards character development. Lugh’s still a twit and he wasn’t that likable in the first place - plus you feel like asking what the heck his problem is because he’s just so filled with resentment and anger. Jack is hardly anywhere in the book. He disappears and doesn’t interact with Saba. Still a mystery character with no answers. Sort of made me wonder, then why was he mentioned so much in the first one, to have no place in this one? Frustrating considering he played a big part and his character was one of the most likable in the story.

So overall, it’s okay. Second books in series always go through ruts and patches. I’m reading through this series because I really did like the first one and I’ll finish this one hoping the ending will go with an awesome bang so I can forget Rebel Heart. ( )
  sensitivemuse | Mar 27, 2017 |
Rebel Heart by Moira Young is the second book in her Dust Lands trilogy. Set in the far distant post-apocalyptic world, this book carries on right where the last one left off. The main character, Saba is with her twin brother and younger sister, heading for sanctuary while the love of her life, Jack has gone to inform his friend of the death of her loved one. Of course, something happens that cause Saba and her friends to go back, while Jack appears to have turned traitor and joined with the enemy.

I really liked the first book in this series but I believe this book suffered a little story wise. It felt very much as if the drama was forced simply to justify the length of the trilogy. Certain situations have been set up and I assume will be resolved in the third book. Still, I enjoyed the writing and the world building and certainly plan to continue on with the third book at some time. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Feb 21, 2017 |
Scorching Hot!!- 4.5 stars...

And I'm not referring to just the dust lands! : ) DeMalo, DeMalo, DeMalo -he is one delicious bad boy! He's a little twisted in the mind though. : ( He's also in love with Saba, well his version of love. Then we have Jack- Jack's one of the good guys. He brings out the best in everyone & he's the love of Saba's life. He's also in love with her too. Then we have Tommo who actually makes the 4th wheel on this ride. He's in love with Saba too though, or thinks he is, and wants her to see him as a man. He's only fifteen so I don't necessarily count him, but love is a powerful emotion and possible weapon so we can't underestimate him or rule him out just yet.

If I'm going to endure a love triangle though then this is how I like them to be- edgy, strong chemistry, hot characters and we have the good vs. bad boy thing going. Plus the triangle actually plays into the plot but it doesn't overshadow it. It's not just some sappy, back & forth brooding, irrelevant side show-like the last triangle I endured in the Taken trilogy. Ughh!

This second book was a very strong follow-up to the first. If I had to choose which one I liked the best, it would be a really hard choice to make. This one ended with a bang too so make sure you already have the third book on hand because you'll definitely want more when you finish this one. I'm so glad I did! I'm reading the final book now and I'm still thinking back to that final scene and wondering when it's going to pop-up. I know it's going to come back to bite somehow, it's just a matter of when.

EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
OK so Andrew and I were absolutely hooked on this book! Honestly, the first one, in this series was good but there really was very little in terms of intensity and some of the deaths seemed forced and an afterthought honestly. The writing however made the first one a 4 star read, otherwise a 3 star it would have received.

This second installment however was a kick into overdrive. The writing continues on a high note but the character development, and WTF moments rocked this read for me! I am still in recovery mode and anxiously awaiting the continuation (which is only a few hours away).

Definitely not a book to spoil with too much detail so I will just leave with this...if you have even considered reading this, do yourself a favor and start it NOW. The best part is that the entire trilogy is out! For me, this is a saving grace...I cannot imagine had I had to wait months for the continuation.

" ( )
  JulieCovington | May 29, 2016 |
Great book. Can't wait for the next one! ( )
  ddbrown201 | Jan 23, 2016 |
For my sisters
It's late afternoon.

After rescuing her twin brother from the Tonton, Saba experiences disturbing telepathic visions while being hunted by a cunning enemy.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,317,770 books! | Top bar: Always visible