Listen to My Trumpet! by Mo Willems

Listen to My Trumpet! (2012)

by Mo Willems

It's always somewhat painful to listen to someone learning a new instrument, but Mo Willlems makes that moment extra special in typical Elephant & Piggie style! ( )
  stephanie.croaning | Sep 28, 2014 |
When I first glanced through this one and saw all of Piggie's noises, I thought, "Uh-oh, this is going to be a mess for a beginning reader to read." But Mo was a step ahead of me as usual. I just read it out loud for the first time to my 11yo, deliberately saying each one of the trumpet noises out loud along the way.

You know what? Each of the noises is a five letter "word," each starting with a two-letter blend like /bl/ or /gr/, followed by a hyphen, and each ending with a three-letter rime such as -ick or -unk. The result is that these bizarre noises are actually highly predictable, and provide great practice to new readers in sounding out unfamiliar "words." ( )
  MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |

MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |
A terrific early reader: the sight words are not going to be much use, since half the book consists of onomatopoeic words, but it's great practice in phoneme reading. Although, your kid may end up having a hard time reading through the book as he will be laughing so hard ...

It is a really funny story too, definitely one of the funnier ones in the series! ( )
  Fjola | Oct 17, 2013 |
Review from library copy.

Dear Mo Willems - if you didn't already have a Trixie and a Trixie's mommy, I'd be your Trixie mommy. ( )
  kcarrigan | Aug 26, 2013 |

When Piggie plays her new trumpet for Gerald, the elephant decides he must be honest in his response.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,420,951 books! | Top bar: Always visible