Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews

Flowers in the Attic

by V.C. Andrews

Series: Dollanganger (1)

The Girl In The Lighthouse by Roxane Tepfer Sanford (LauraT81)
    LauraT81: If you enjoy V.C. Andrews then you'll love The Girl In The Lighthouse.

English (94)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (98)
Awesome, even the second time. ( )
  nancymyers | Dec 18, 2014 |
Ahhh, this book. Is there any American girl from my generation (I'm 34) who hasn't read this book at some point in their lives, or at least heard enough about it to know the basic plot? I sure haven't met her if she exists.

I first read this book when I was eight years old, and I really thought it was the bees knees then. I liked creepy. I liked the horror aspects of being locked in a closet (I have a moderate case of claustrophobia, which persists to this day) and being at the mercy of evil adults (that's actually not too far from my own childhood). I've been meaning to reread this book some day, because I was sure that there were things that had wooshed right over my head when I was reading it at eight, and I finally got around to it.

If you've never read the book yourself, there's a very good chance that you have heard about all of the incest in this book. And, yeah, there is a crap ton of incest in this book. The parents of Chris, Cathy, Cory, and Carrie are related - half-uncle and half-niece, to be specific, with their mother's father being the half-brother of their own father. And then there's the creepy relationship between Chris and his mother, which I somehow totally missed in my first reading in this book (to be fair, I was eight). Chris' mom totally manipulates the crap out of him and is very inappropriate with her son to get him to be compliant. And then, of course, there is the relationship between Cathy and Chris, which culminates in Chris raping her. But it wasn't "really" rape according to Cathy, because if she had wanted to stop it, she could have. Umm, okay. I'll just leave that one alone.

And the story really does read like a soap opera.

But I still like it. There, I said it. And yes, even though this book is cheesy and I found myself rolling my eyes sometimes as I read it, I still liked it. And I really want to read the next books in the series, which I have not yet done.

I think it's the horror bits that really grab me the most - to go from four loved, protected, adored children who could do little wrong in the doting eyes of their mother and father, to go to four children who are abandoned, locked away in the attic, and eventually given arsenic to kill them, because their mother loved her fortune and new husband more than she loved her children. The first time I read that, it blew my mind. Now I'm more jaded.

Would I read this book again? Yes, and I would enjoy it. And I won't apologize for that fact. ;) ( )
  schatzi | Oct 26, 2014 |
Creeeeeeepy......! ( )
  raselyem7 | Aug 30, 2014 |
The original disturbed-family drama.
  lseitz | Jul 1, 2014 |
A fantastic book that will send chills down your spine, Flowers in the Attic. The book focuses on the desire of money in need of it. The selfishness a person could consume if promised a fortune. A family of four that loved each other very much, turned into a family of three, then five. A tragic accident happened to the four of them, one girl, one boy, and husband and wife. An accident that will never be forgotten and scar them forever. But, that's not the only thing they will be scared with... The children at least.
It all started out with a loving, close family Nothing could the way they loved each other. A beloved father and husband got into a dreadful car accident that took his life. He left his no four children with his jobless wife, alone. A helpless woman with four children, two teenagers and two toddlers, in need of money. She had no where else to go, so the decided to stay at her parents. Its normal for a mother to bring her children to their grandparents house. But, not for the Dollangers. Their grandparents didn't even know their grandchildren existed, never mind wanted them to exist. The thing is their mother had done something she wasn't supposed to and her rich parents never forgave her. Their mother and father weren't just related by marriage but also by blood. The only way Their grandfather had forgiven their mother was if she did not have kids. So, they must not known their are children. The only hiding place, the attic. They were promised only a few days, with love, and food. But, their promise was broken, big time.
Flowers in the attic will make the hairs on your back stand up. The thrilling things these four children go through is dreadful and unimaginable. Will they escape? Does any of the die? Does their grandfather find out? You will have to find out all on your own.
1 vote br14rahit | Jun 6, 2014 |

V.C. Andrewsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
van Loon, ParmaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
(Part One) Shall the clay say to him that fashioneth it, What makest thou?

Isaiah 45:9
This book is dedicated to my mother.
It is so appropriate to color hope yellow, like that sun we seldom saw. (Prologue)
Truly, when I was very young, way back in the Fifties, I believed all of life would be like one long and perfect summer day. (Chapter 1)
DO NOT COMBINE WITH BOXED SETS OR MULTIPLE-NOVELS

Way upstairs there are four secrets hidden. Blond, beautiful, innocent little secrets, struggling to stay alive. Flowers In the Attic The four Dollanganger children had such perfect lives -- a beautiful mother, a doting father, a lovely home. Then Daddy was killed in a car accident, and Momma could no longer support the family. So she began writing letters to her parents, her millionaire parents, whom the children had never heard of before. Momma tells the children all about their rich grandparents, and how Chris and Cathy and the twins will live like princes and princesses in their grandparents' fancy mansion. The children are only too delighted by the prospect. But there are a few things that Momma hasn't told them. She hasn't told them that their grandmother considers them "devil's spawn" who should never have been born. She hasn't told them that she has to hide them from their grandfather if she wants to inherit his fortune. She hasn't told them that they are to be locked away in an abandoned wing of the house with only the dark, airless attic to play in. But, Momma promises, it's only for a few days.... Then the days stretch into months, and the months into years. Desperately isolated, terrified of their grandmother, and increasingly convinced that their mother no longer cares about them, Chris and Cathy become all things to the twins and to each other. They cling to their love as their only hope, their only strength -- a love that is almost stronger than death.
"My lover is hot!"
Now hold on. You mean he is
her brother? Oh, ick.

(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671729411, Mass Market Paperback)

This is the Extroardinary Novel That Has Captured Millions in Its Spell!

All across America and around the world, millions of readers have been captivated by this strange, dark, terriifying tale of passion and peril in the lives of four innoocent children, locked away from the world by a selfish mother.

Flowers in the Attic is the novel that launched the extraordinary career of V.C. Andrews®, winning her an immediate and fiercely devoted worldwide following; today there are more than 85 million copies of her books in print.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:42 -0400)

Horror. 1st in trilogy.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,380,963 books! | Top bar: Always visible