Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews

Flowers in the Attic

by V.C. Andrews

Series: Dollanganger (1)

3,7201051,406 (3.55)126
Recently added byprivate library, yamayukkikun, Catigerine, cookies71, e-zReader, sassysherry, Kimmykay0302, pomo58
    The Girl In The Lighthouse by Roxane Tepfer Sanford (LauraT81)
    LauraT81: If you enjoy V.C. Andrews then you'll love The Girl In The Lighthouse.

English (100)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (104)
Al principio no me convencía mucho. No entendía las motivaciones de los personajes, no entendía porqué los niños (tan buenos, tan perfectos) no veían nada raro en lo que pasaba. Sin embargo, creí que a la larga se explicaría todo. En absoluto. Todo es lo que parece, los acontecimientos cada vez son más absurdos e inexplicables. El final, ridículo.
  L0r0 | Mar 22, 2015 |
Flowers in the Attic was written in the 1970s and has been persistently popular ever since. It’s a book that everyone seems to have read sometime between middle school and high school, but I never did. I have friends who say it was the “young adult” fiction of their day - which is weird when you think about the content. I’ve heard about it, as I’ve said, from lots of people, and knew the basic premise. I’d also heard how bad it was (in various people’s opinions) but still, how could I not be curious about this weird angst-laden family melodrama?

And yes, it’s pretty poorly written and it is trashy/pulpy, but it is a page-turner all the same. Flowers is fun in the way fanfiction is fun, not great literature but oddly addictive. In fact, as I was reading this I couldn’t help but wonder how much fanfiction it has inspired. I don’t mean about Flowers, specifically, but the tone and style - the over-the-top abuse and oppression of our young protagonists, rather put me in that mindset.

So, the story: the “Dollangangers" have a beautiful home, with four lovely children. Daddy is a big success at the office and Momma is a beautiful stay-at-home mother (this being the 1950s.) The neighbours say Momma and Daddy look more like brother and sister than husband and wife - and, as it turns out Daddy was Momma’s half-uncle. V. C. Andrews is not subtle with the foreshadowing. Anyway, within the first chapter, Daddy dearest gets knocked off in a car accident, leaving their beautiful but vapid mother helplessly overwhelmed at the notion that she might have to support four children and herself without a man. To this end, she writes to her wealthy, but cruel parents, who disowned her fifteen years earlier.

It turns out, the four children will get to live with their grandparents and the mother will get to enjoy their fabulous fortune, but the grandfather is never to know of the existence of the children because of that whole incest thing. Their grandmother is a mean, puritanical old woman who considers her grandchildren “devil’s spawn” and keeps them locked in a dark stuffy room at all times. They have access to a large attic-space they can play in, but that is all. She rules them with an iron fist, administering beatings, whippings and other cruel punishments all the while telling them God hates them and such things.

As far as the children go, the novel is told from the point of view of Cathy, a twelve year old girl on her way to being a beautiful young woman. She wants to be a ballerina and is forced to grow up more quickly than she should due to the horrible circumstances the children find themselves in. With her being the second oldest, she takes on the role of “mother” to the two younger siblings. She struggles to reconcile their situation in her own head, and how their mother can possibly let it continue. I actually really liked Cathy’s character and the way she cared for her younger siblings and tried so hard to be “Momma” for them. Cathy’s older brother, Chris, is a very smart fourteen year old, a straight-A student who wants to be a doctor. He is forced into the role of “father” while they are trapped in the attic and like Cathy, forced to act beyond his years. Unlike Cathy, he hangs onto the idea that their mother is a beautiful, loving person who can do no wrong. There are also two baby twins, a boy and a girl named Cory and Carrie, just four years old, that the older children must take care of and protect. (One really wishes V. C. Andrews was capable of picking names that begin with a letter other than “C” - even the mother’s name is Corrine.)

As their mother fails time and again to come through for her children and get them out of their horrible attic-prison, the weeks turn to months, the months to years! Being cut off from the rest of humanity during the peak of adolescence, it’s no surprise that the strong bonds forced upon them by circumstance turn into sexual curiosity between the two older children.

There is also the matter of the two younger children being constantly sick. I had already come to hate the mother A LOT by the time we get to the final reveal, and in the end I swear you will hate the mother so, so much. And the worst part of the entire thing is that in the end there are no repercussions for these monstrous people. The mother and grandmother get off not only unpunished, but rich! That is the part that bothers me the most about this story. Not that anything would have made up for what they did, but still there should have been something. I really hated the ending. Oh, I also hated that Cathy had a dream Cory was in heaven with Daddy now so that supposedly makes his death (murder) alright?! WTF, no.
  catfantastic | Feb 16, 2015 |
Creeeeeeepy......! ( )
  librarycatnip | Jan 12, 2015 |
First, let me get a few things straight. I don't know in what universe this book would have been acceptable to read at 12 years old, but I think part of the horror of this book is the thought that 12 year old kids were reading it. I mean, if you were a pretty knowledgeable 12 year old who could handle graphic sexual abuse, incest, physical abuse, and mental abuse and be able to put the book down and go along your way unaffected, then... I guess more power to that 12 year old you. But let me tell you know, as a 38 year old woman, this book affected me and I only picked it up because I'd purchased it a while back for a read-along and thought.. what the heck, I'm in the mood for a story and this looks interesting.

Read the rest of this review at The Lost Entwife on Jan. 9, 2015. ( )
  TheLostEntwife | Jan 7, 2015 |
It's been 30 years since I first read this!! Seems like yesterday, the story is still so clear.

This was the first adult novel I read as a teenager and I can't believe that after all this time the story is still with me. I can still vividly recall the attic and the children and their story as if I read it last week.

I think it was a 'coming of age novel' for a lot of teenage girls at the time of it's release. I know when speaking to my friends now, the majority remember reading the Flowers saga around the age of 14. I think it's one of those rare books that can cross over from adult to young adult and appeal to all ages and is relatively timeless. It seems as popular today as it was three decades ago when my friends and I all devoured it.

It's a harrowing story and at the time I was so caught up in it I don't think I ate or slept much until I had turned the last page. I have given a lot of thought to whether or not I should give it a re-read but so far I've resisted for a couple of reasons - Firstly, I'm worried that the fantastic storytelling I remember from my youth may not hold up under the scrutiny of my adult self. Sometimes it's just better to rememer things as they were.

The second reason I can't bring myself to read it again, is because now that I have children of my own, I think I may come at it from a different angle. I don't think I could put my maternal feelings aside for a re-read. If I was coming across this for the first time now, having read the back cover I wouldn't even give it a moment's consideration. It just isn't my kind of book anymore. In fact it's exactly the type of book I avoid ....'cruel and selfish mother, imprisoned children, neglect'..... It's just not for me anymore.

BUT, I still give it 10/10 because a page turner like this, which has stayed with me so long deserves at LEAST a 10. I'd go so far as to pinpoint this book as the one that started me on the path of ravenous bookworm. Flowers In the Attic (and all the follow on books from the series) were the first books I ever bought with my own money, and it was money well spent. Funny how things like that stay with you. (On the same note I remember the first vinyl single I bought with my own money too.....Green Onions by Booker T and the MG's, Stick out tongue )

This is a a great book and I'm just glad I read it all those years ago. ( )
  SilverThistle | Dec 31, 2014 |

V.C. Andrewsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
van Loon, ParmaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
(Part One) Shall the clay say to him that fashioneth it, What makest thou?

Isaiah 45:9
This book is dedicated to my mother.
It is so appropriate to color hope yellow, like that sun we seldom saw. (Prologue)
Truly, when I was very young, way back in the Fifties, I believed all of life would be like one long and perfect summer day. (Chapter 1)
DO NOT COMBINE WITH BOXED SETS OR MULTIPLE-NOVELS

Way upstairs there are four secrets hidden. Blond, beautiful, innocent little secrets, struggling to stay alive. Flowers In the Attic The four Dollanganger children had such perfect lives -- a beautiful mother, a doting father, a lovely home. Then Daddy was killed in a car accident, and Momma could no longer support the family. So she began writing letters to her parents, her millionaire parents, whom the children had never heard of before. Momma tells the children all about their rich grandparents, and how Chris and Cathy and the twins will live like princes and princesses in their grandparents' fancy mansion. The children are only too delighted by the prospect. But there are a few things that Momma hasn't told them. She hasn't told them that their grandmother considers them "devil's spawn" who should never have been born. She hasn't told them that she has to hide them from their grandfather if she wants to inherit his fortune. She hasn't told them that they are to be locked away in an abandoned wing of the house with only the dark, airless attic to play in. But, Momma promises, it's only for a few days.... Then the days stretch into months, and the months into years. Desperately isolated, terrified of their grandmother, and increasingly convinced that their mother no longer cares about them, Chris and Cathy become all things to the twins and to each other. They cling to their love as their only hope, their only strength -- a love that is almost stronger than death.
"My lover is hot!"
Now hold on. You mean he is
her brother? Oh, ick.

(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671729411, Mass Market Paperback)

This is the Extroardinary Novel That Has Captured Millions in Its Spell!

All across America and around the world, millions of readers have been captivated by this strange, dark, terriifying tale of passion and peril in the lives of four innoocent children, locked away from the world by a selfish mother.

Flowers in the Attic is the novel that launched the extraordinary career of V.C. Andrews®, winning her an immediate and fiercely devoted worldwide following; today there are more than 85 million copies of her books in print.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:42 -0400)

Horror. 1st in trilogy.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,571,014 books! | Top bar: Always visible