Flowers in the Attic by V. C. Andrews

Flowers in the Attic

by V. C. Andrews

Series: Dollanganger (1)

The Girl In The Lighthouse by Roxane Tepfer Sanford (LauraT81)
    LauraT81: If you enjoy V.C. Andrews then you'll love The Girl In The Lighthouse.

English (104)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (108)
3/5 stars
I post all my reviews to athroneofbooks.booklikes.com

A dismal story of loss, neglect, and abuse. The children are punished and locked in the attic for a mistake made by their mother years ago. With every chapter the story gets deeper and more intense. V.C. Andrews wove a depressing, yet intriguing story.

This is a story that was recommended to me several years ago that I never bothered to actually read. Now I’m glad that I found the time because it was such an emotional and entirely uncomfortable experience. I do give credit to V.C. Andrews though, I knew a big portion of what was happening and why and she still managed to make me care about this story that takes place in mostly the same room.

I didn’t love it as much as everyone I’ve ever heard talk about it but I did find it entertaining despite being a bit cringe-worthy at times. And I think when I get the time and the desire I will read Petals on the Wind and continue the tale of the Dollanganger children. ( )
  MarandaNicole | Jul 15, 2015 |
Angus and Robertson Top 100 (2006-2008) Book #86.
This is quite a disturbing book! It was very easy to read because the writing was very easy to read. The plot is what made this book very disturbing. The locking away of four small children into an attic and leaving them there to wither away is horrible, and makes for unpleasant reading. ( )
  amme_mr | May 1, 2015 |
I have seen the movie from 1987 (years ago, not a good movie btw) and this seems to be a book that many have read and since it is available to read on Scribd will I perhaps read it one day even though the story is a bit...icky!

MaraBlaise | Apr 21, 2015 |
Talk about a messed up family!!! This family story just keeps getting more and more twisted with each turn of the page. You can't put it down. And then to make things even better, there are 4 more books to this story!!! A very good series! ( )
  kat32969 | Apr 20, 2015 |
Al principio no me convencía mucho. No entendía las motivaciones de los personajes, no entendía porqué los niños (tan buenos, tan perfectos) no veían nada raro en lo que pasaba. Sin embargo, creí que a la larga se explicaría todo. En absoluto. Todo es lo que parece, los acontecimientos cada vez son más absurdos e inexplicables. El final, ridículo.
  L0r0 | Mar 22, 2015 |

V. C. Andrewsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
van Loon, ParmaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
(Part One) Shall the clay say to him that fashioneth it, What makest thou?

Isaiah 45:9
This book is dedicated to my mother.
It is so appropriate to color hope yellow, like that sun we seldom saw. (Prologue)
Truly, when I was very young, way back in the Fifties, I believed all of life would be like one long and perfect summer day. (Chapter 1)
DO NOT COMBINE WITH BOXED SETS OR MULTIPLE-NOVELS

Way upstairs there are four secrets hidden. Blond, beautiful, innocent little secrets, struggling to stay alive. Flowers In the Attic The four Dollanganger children had such perfect lives -- a beautiful mother, a doting father, a lovely home. Then Daddy was killed in a car accident, and Momma could no longer support the family. So she began writing letters to her parents, her millionaire parents, whom the children had never heard of before. Momma tells the children all about their rich grandparents, and how Chris and Cathy and the twins will live like princes and princesses in their grandparents' fancy mansion. The children are only too delighted by the prospect. But there are a few things that Momma hasn't told them. She hasn't told them that their grandmother considers them "devil's spawn" who should never have been born. She hasn't told them that she has to hide them from their grandfather if she wants to inherit his fortune. She hasn't told them that they are to be locked away in an abandoned wing of the house with only the dark, airless attic to play in. But, Momma promises, it's only for a few days.... Then the days stretch into months, and the months into years. Desperately isolated, terrified of their grandmother, and increasingly convinced that their mother no longer cares about them, Chris and Cathy become all things to the twins and to each other. They cling to their love as their only hope, their only strength -- a love that is almost stronger than death.
"My lover is hot!"
Now hold on. You mean he is
her brother? Oh, ick.

(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671729411, Mass Market Paperback)

This is the Extroardinary Novel That Has Captured Millions in Its Spell!

All across America and around the world, millions of readers have been captivated by this strange, dark, terriifying tale of passion and peril in the lives of four innoocent children, locked away from the world by a selfish mother.

Flowers in the Attic is the novel that launched the extraordinary career of V.C. Andrews®, winning her an immediate and fiercely devoted worldwide following; today there are more than 85 million copies of her books in print.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:54 -0400)

Horror. 1st in trilogy.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,478,398 books! | Top bar: Always visible