Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger Family 1)…

Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger Family 1) (edition 1979)

by Virginia Andrews

Member:Petulisa
Title:Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger Family 1)
Authors:Virginia Andrews
Info:Harpercollins Publishers (1979), Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Novels

Flowers in the Attic by V. C. Andrews

The Girl In The Lighthouse by Roxane Tepfer Sanford (LauraT81)
    LauraT81: If you enjoy V.C. Andrews then you'll love The Girl In The Lighthouse.

English (106)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (110)
Disturbing escape fiction. I enjoyed it but I wouldn't say it was "good." ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
Apparently, this is the year I reread all the books that enthralled me as a kid. I wasn’t setting out to do that, but it’s a fun ride, so I’ll go along with it.

I didn’t expect this one to hold up too well. I mean, come on. It was the Twilight of its time. Everyone was reading this. Teenagers, suburban moms, little old ladies – this was the book in everyone’s hands. You could start a conversation about Flowers in the Attic with a total stranger and, provided she was female and over the age of five, you’d be safe in assuming she’d read it often enough to be able to discuss the plot in detail.

The two questions on everyone’s lips were: Was this “novel” really nonfiction, the way the author claimed in the prologue? And, if so, did she and her brother really do, you know, that? And would that really have been so horrible and unforgivable and just plain wrong if, after all, they’d been trapped in an attic together for years plus the brother was totally hot?

(Okay, that’s three questions. Sorry. All the girls my age were reading this through math class.)

I remember getting into an earnest conversation about this book with a friend of mine who was a serious student of ballet. I felt absolutely sure this book was an autobiography. Heaven only knows why this was so important to me, but it was. My friend, on the other hand, said that she felt fairly convinced this was actually fiction, because there was no way the narrator could have kept up her ballet studies all by herself for those crucial years she’d spent locked up in an attic.

I love that that’s what tipped my friend off. Not “My mother married her gorgeous young half-uncle and then locked us away for years so she’d have a shot at inheriting beaucoup bucks from her dad” . Not “...and so now my brother and I have the permanent hots for each other” . Those might have happened. Teaching herself to go on pointe alone? Forget it.

Okay, so Flowers isn’t an autobiography. I’ve come to terms with that. But it turns out that it may have been based on an incident in someone else’s life. According to the Way Official V.C. Andrews web site, the young V.C. Andrews developed a crush on a doctor who said he’d spent over six years locked away in an attic “to preserve the family wealth.” Here’s the page where you can read the whole story, as well as taking a look at the pitch letter Andrews wrote for Flowers.

Agents, take note: This pitch is riddled with every rookie error you sneer at us poor writers for making. And Andrews wrote a bunch of bestsellers you may have heard of. So KISS MY QUERY LETTER. Whoops. Sorry. It’s late and I’m tired. Forget I said that. Here’s a link to the page:

So I loved this book as a kid. Does it hold up? Or was I just an idiot who has no right to jab at people who adore Twilight?

I think I loved this book for a perfectly good reason: It’s a ripping good yarn.

And I thought it must be real because it feels real. Andrews may have been given the premise by someone else, but she really knew how to run with it. She dove into the idea of what it would be like to live an imprisoned but strangely pampered life, and she didn’t miss a detail.

As a child, I found this book the most engrossing story I’d ever experienced. I think if I were reading this for the first time as an adult, I’d find it a far more wrenching experience. Betrayal follows betrayal, and the victims are terribly young. (And how weird is it that I was reading this book when I was 12, and felt fine with it?)

So, yeah. This book passed the test of time.

I’m not sure the sequel does – but that’s another story.
  Deborah_Markus | Aug 8, 2015 |
3/5 stars
I post all my reviews to athroneofbooks.booklikes.com

A dismal story of loss, neglect, and abuse. The children are punished and locked in the attic for a mistake made by their mother years ago. With every chapter the story gets deeper and more intense. V.C. Andrews wove a depressing, yet intriguing story.

This is a story that was recommended to me several years ago that I never bothered to actually read. Now I’m glad that I found the time because it was such an emotional and entirely uncomfortable experience. I do give credit to V.C. Andrews though, I knew a big portion of what was happening and why and she still managed to make me care about this story that takes place in mostly the same room.

I didn’t love it as much as everyone I’ve ever heard talk about it but I did find it entertaining despite being a bit cringe-worthy at times. And I think when I get the time and the desire I will read Petals on the Wind and continue the tale of the Dollanganger children. ( )
  MarandaNicole | Jul 15, 2015 |
Angus and Robertson Top 100 (2006-2008) Book #86.
This is quite a disturbing book! It was very easy to read because the writing was very easy to read. The plot is what made this book very disturbing. The locking away of four small children into an attic and leaving them there to wither away is horrible, and makes for unpleasant reading. ( )
  amme_mr | May 1, 2015 |
I have seen the movie from 1987 (years ago, not a good movie btw) and this seems to be a book that many have read and since it is available to read on Scribd will I perhaps read it one day even though the story is a bit...icky!

MaraBlaise | Apr 21, 2015 |

V. C. Andrewsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
van Loon, ParmaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
(Part One) Shall the clay say to him that fashioneth it, What makest thou?

Isaiah 45:9
This book is dedicated to my mother.
It is so appropriate to color hope yellow, like that sun we seldom saw. (Prologue)
Truly, when I was very young, way back in the Fifties, I believed all of life would be like one long and perfect summer day. (Chapter 1)
DO NOT COMBINE WITH BOXED SETS OR MULTIPLE-NOVELS

Way upstairs there are four secrets hidden. Blond, beautiful, innocent little secrets, struggling to stay alive. Flowers In the Attic The four Dollanganger children had such perfect lives -- a beautiful mother, a doting father, a lovely home. Then Daddy was killed in a car accident, and Momma could no longer support the family. So she began writing letters to her parents, her millionaire parents, whom the children had never heard of before. Momma tells the children all about their rich grandparents, and how Chris and Cathy and the twins will live like princes and princesses in their grandparents' fancy mansion. The children are only too delighted by the prospect. But there are a few things that Momma hasn't told them. She hasn't told them that their grandmother considers them "devil's spawn" who should never have been born. She hasn't told them that she has to hide them from their grandfather if she wants to inherit his fortune. She hasn't told them that they are to be locked away in an abandoned wing of the house with only the dark, airless attic to play in. But, Momma promises, it's only for a few days.... Then the days stretch into months, and the months into years. Desperately isolated, terrified of their grandmother, and increasingly convinced that their mother no longer cares about them, Chris and Cathy become all things to the twins and to each other. They cling to their love as their only hope, their only strength -- a love that is almost stronger than death.
"My lover is hot!"
Now hold on. You mean he is
her brother? Oh, ick.

(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671729411, Mass Market Paperback)

This is the Extroardinary Novel That Has Captured Millions in Its Spell!

All across America and around the world, millions of readers have been captivated by this strange, dark, terriifying tale of passion and peril in the lives of four innoocent children, locked away from the world by a selfish mother.

Flowers in the Attic is the novel that launched the extraordinary career of V.C. Andrews®, winning her an immediate and fiercely devoted worldwide following; today there are more than 85 million copies of her books in print.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:54 -0400)

Horror. 1st in trilogy.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,153,050 books! | Top bar: Always visible