Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger Family 1)…

Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger Family 1) (edition 1979)

by Virginia Andrews

Member:Petulisa
Title:Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger Family 1)
Authors:Virginia Andrews
Info:Harpercollins Publishers (1979), Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Novels

Flowers In The Attic by V. C. Andrews

The Girl In The Lighthouse by Roxane Tepfer Sanford (LauraT81)
    LauraT81: If you enjoy V.C. Andrews then you'll love The Girl In The Lighthouse.

English (117)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (120)
This was the first of this series that I read and I found it very depressing and disturbing. I actually read another one. I guess I was hoping that they would improve. Wrong! ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
I read when I was much younger and thought it was fabulous. I doubt I would enjoy it now. ( )
  jackandvera | May 31, 2016 |
Review Originally Posted At: FictionForesight

Money is what makes the world go round, or at least that’s what Corrine Dollanganger told her four children when they had to leave their house for foreclosure after her husband’s death, and return to her childhood home. She promised the children that, because of her father’s lack of knowledge of their existence, they would only have to be locked in a small room and an attic for a few days to a week at most, until she could find a way to tell him. Months turned into years, and the children grew up to resent their mother and grandmother, and form a new family in this Gothic horror.

This is a book that many people read when in their young teens; which I didn’t learn until after I had already read it. For whatever reason this slipped under my radar as a child, and personally I am glad, as this is a pretty heavy book to read.

That isn’t to say that this is a bad book by any means. Actually, it’s one that I enjoyed immensely, though I wonder what that says about me as a person. This book has a plot like a train wreck; I wanted to look away and go back to reading the comfy cozy mysteries, but I couldn’t stop turning the pages! There are, of course, some difficult topics in the book. Incest, for one; some in the past and some in the present. Rape and abuse are present, though there isn’t anything too graphic, at least so it isn’t stomach turning in that respect. There are some grotesque descriptions of things, but at the same time it is told from the viewpoint of Cathy, a twelve-year-old girl – at least in the beginning of the novel.

Tiptoeing over the difficult topics, what lies underneath, is actually a critique of how children respond to media and the ideas of the adult world without proper guidance. Cathy and Chris adopt the roles of parents easily enough, but when it comes to other things they have to rely on television and books to grasp ideas. Their grandmother is incredibly strict and forces the children to follow rules to lead them on the morally correct path, but the idea ultimately pushes them into the same situation they were in with their mother; locked up with nothing but questions, and wondering what the correct answers could be without any guidance.

The characters were eerily good. From the calculating mother, to the impenetrable grandmother, and children begging to be noticed, we get a wonderful piece that analyzes human interactions with characters that, while they may not grow very much, definitely fit their roles in the story. There isn’t a character who is superfluous, as far as I can tell, and Andrews doesn’t waste our time introducing new characters without any meaning.

The plot is well formed, and leaves the reader in suspense, although enough hints are dropped that one can figure out how it will end before it does. What I liked, though, was that I could know the ending and still enjoy the twists and turns as though I hadn’t known they were coming.

If this is a book you read in your younger years, I’d recommend giving it another look. If, like me, you never had a chance or desire to read this as a kid, I would definitely recommend giving it a try. It is a good thrill of a book, especially for people who, like me, shy away from such things.

(www.FictionForesight.com) ( )
  FictionForesight | Apr 26, 2016 |
One of my favorite books. I have read it again and again. ( )
  nandamom74 | Mar 17, 2016 |
One of my ultimate favorite books ever. It was the first adult horror novel I had ever read and instantly fell in love with VC Andrews' writing. The depth of her characters and truly twisted story has never left me. I have since read every novel written by her (and her ghost writer). She is the original queen of horror. Highly recommend. ( )
  lacey.tucker | Mar 10, 2016 |

V. C. Andrewsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
van Loon, ParmaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
(Part One) Shall the clay say to him that fashioneth it, What makest thou?

Isaiah 45:9
This book is dedicated to my mother.
It is so appropriate to color hope yellow, like that sun we seldom saw. (Prologue)
Truly, when I was very young, way back in the Fifties, I believed all of life would be like one long and perfect summer day. (Chapter 1)
DO NOT COMBINE WITH BOXED SETS OR MULTIPLE-NOVELS

Way upstairs there are four secrets hidden. Blond, beautiful, innocent little secrets, struggling to stay alive. Flowers In the Attic The four Dollanganger children had such perfect lives -- a beautiful mother, a doting father, a lovely home. Then Daddy was killed in a car accident, and Momma could no longer support the family. So she began writing letters to her parents, her millionaire parents, whom the children had never heard of before. Momma tells the children all about their rich grandparents, and how Chris and Cathy and the twins will live like princes and princesses in their grandparents' fancy mansion. The children are only too delighted by the prospect. But there are a few things that Momma hasn't told them. She hasn't told them that their grandmother considers them "devil's spawn" who should never have been born. She hasn't told them that she has to hide them from their grandfather if she wants to inherit his fortune. She hasn't told them that they are to be locked away in an abandoned wing of the house with only the dark, airless attic to play in. But, Momma promises, it's only for a few days.... Then the days stretch into months, and the months into years. Desperately isolated, terrified of their grandmother, and increasingly convinced that their mother no longer cares about them, Chris and Cathy become all things to the twins and to each other. They cling to their love as their only hope, their only strength -- a love that is almost stronger than death.
"My lover is hot!"
Now hold on. You mean he is
her brother? Oh, ick.

(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671729411, Mass Market Paperback)

This is the Extroardinary Novel That Has Captured Millions in Its Spell!

All across America and around the world, millions of readers have been captivated by this strange, dark, terriifying tale of passion and peril in the lives of four innoocent children, locked away from the world by a selfish mother.

Flowers in the Attic is the novel that launched the extraordinary career of V.C. Andrews®, winning her an immediate and fiercely devoted worldwide following; today there are more than 85 million copies of her books in print.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:54 -0400)

Horror. 1st in trilogy.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,000,251 books! | Top bar: Always visible