Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger Family 1)…

Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger Family 1) (edition 1979)

by Virginia Andrews

Member:Petulisa
Title:Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger Family 1)
Authors:Virginia Andrews
Info:Harpercollins Publishers (1979), Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Novels

Flowers In The Attic by V. C. Andrews

Recently added bykmr86, Addams95, private library, Rena37, pally, Angela.Me, DeanRJ, ash_b3, NikkiMc
    The Roanoke Girls by Amy Engel (hairball)
    The Girl In The Lighthouse by Roxane Tepfer Sanford (LauraT81)
    LauraT81: If you enjoy V.C. Andrews then you'll love The Girl In The Lighthouse.

English (128)  Spanish (3)  Swedish (1)  All (132)

This is the second book in a row that I've read where there are either incestuous-like act (The One & Only) or incest. I don't know why, but some times it happens where I read books that are vastly different but have very similar themes.

So I never read this book as child and never saw the film or the TV movie either, so this was my first introduction to the book and I was thoroughly engrossed in it. The ending was a bit of twist for me, probably because I didn't the expect the mother to be so evil. I kept holding out hope the mother would come to her senses and take her children away but instead she turned into a milder version of her parents, but evil all the same. Yes the relationship between the mother and father is a bit gross but I can almost accept their relationship because they did not grow up together knowing about their relation to one another and fell in love at first sight before realizing they were blood related. However, Chris and Cathy's incestuous act was very disturbing and what's even more disturbing was the fact that in many ways I was making up excuses for what happened between them, such as: They can't help it when they're hitting puberty, with no one else around but their two younger siblings and the grandmother can't seem to stop insinuating sexually behaviors, it's the grandmother who put those obscene thoughts into their heads and that's why they eventually acted on them, etc etc... However, the way Chris took Cathy and what he said about her being his was very disturbing to me, it showed how territorial he can be. It didn't make me feel any better when Cathy observed that what Chris did to her may also have been his way of lashing out at his mother, the woman he loved more than anything. That entire scene was very disturbing and quite frankly sad. I think more than anything I just felt sorry for the children because throughout, I kept wondering if things would have been different between Chris and Cathy if their father was still alive and they didn't have a neglectful mother.

I actually enjoyed the book despite some disturbing scenes and really like the characters (the children). I didn't realize the book was part of a series and look forward to reading the other books in the series. ( )
1 vote jthao_02 | May 18, 2017 |
This book is a very intense book that is about children that get locked in an attic for bigger reasons that they ever thought. incest, murder. this book was a good one, but totally meant for upper elementary.
  Lisamegis | Apr 25, 2017 |
I have seen the movie from 1987 (years ago, not a good movie btw) and this seems to be a book that many have read and since it is available to read on Scribd will I perhaps read it one day even though the story is a bit...icky!

MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
I first read this book as a book on cassette when I was, I believe, in elementary school. I remember that even then I was captivated by the story and enchanted by the characters. I felt for the plight of the siblings and I remember thinking that it was awful that anyone would treat their children this way. Of course, at that age, I didn't really understand the deeper implications of the story, i.e. the incest and murder, but I did understand that this was a story that would be remembered for years. The story and its characters are haunting and they have haunted my memory for years and I will read this book and it's sequels again and again. ( )
  JessBass87 | Dec 14, 2016 |
so bad. but my 13 year old self was entranced. ( )
  pixiegenne | Nov 11, 2016 |

V. C. Andrewsprimary authorall editionscalculated
van Loon, ParmaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
(Part One) Shall the clay say to him that fashioneth it, What makest thou?

Isaiah 45:9
This book is dedicated to my mother.
It is so appropriate to color hope yellow, like that sun we seldom saw. (Prologue)
Truly, when I was very young, way back in the Fifties, I believed all of life would be like one long and perfect summer day. (Chapter 1)
DO NOT COMBINE WITH BOXED SETS OR MULTIPLE-NOVELS

Way upstairs there are four secrets hidden. Blond, beautiful, innocent little secrets, struggling to stay alive. Flowers In the Attic The four Dollanganger children had such perfect lives -- a beautiful mother, a doting father, a lovely home. Then Daddy was killed in a car accident, and Momma could no longer support the family. So she began writing letters to her parents, her millionaire parents, whom the children had never heard of before. Momma tells the children all about their rich grandparents, and how Chris and Cathy and the twins will live like princes and princesses in their grandparents' fancy mansion. The children are only too delighted by the prospect. But there are a few things that Momma hasn't told them. She hasn't told them that their grandmother considers them "devil's spawn" who should never have been born. She hasn't told them that she has to hide them from their grandfather if she wants to inherit his fortune. She hasn't told them that they are to be locked away in an abandoned wing of the house with only the dark, airless attic to play in. But, Momma promises, it's only for a few days.... Then the days stretch into months, and the months into years. Desperately isolated, terrified of their grandmother, and increasingly convinced that their mother no longer cares about them, Chris and Cathy become all things to the twins and to each other. They cling to their love as their only hope, their only strength -- a love that is almost stronger than death.
"My lover is hot!"
Now hold on. You mean he is
her brother? Oh, ick.

(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671729411, Mass Market Paperback)

This is the Extroardinary Novel That Has Captured Millions in Its Spell!

All across America and around the world, millions of readers have been captivated by this strange, dark, terriifying tale of passion and peril in the lives of four innoocent children, locked away from the world by a selfish mother.

Flowers in the Attic is the novel that launched the extraordinary career of V.C. Andrews®, winning her an immediate and fiercely devoted worldwide following; today there are more than 85 million copies of her books in print.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:54 -0400)

Horror. 1st in trilogy.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,157,282 books! | Top bar: Always visible