Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger Family 1)…

Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger Family 1) (edition 1979)

by Virginia Andrews

Member:Petulisa
Title:Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger Family 1)
Authors:Virginia Andrews
Info:Harpercollins Publishers (1979), Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Novels

Flowers In The Attic by V. C. Andrews

The Girl In The Lighthouse by Roxane Tepfer Sanford (LauraT81)
    LauraT81: If you enjoy V.C. Andrews then you'll love The Girl In The Lighthouse.

English (124)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  English (127)
so bad. but my 13 year old self was entranced. ( )
  pixiegenne | Nov 11, 2016 |
I loved this book when I was a teenager (and probably too young to be reading it) and it was still as page turning and gripping as I remembered on a re-read.

Four children's lives are changed forever when their father dies in a road traffic accident. Their mother, unable to support herself, returns to her parents' house, who disapproved of her marriage. The children are told they have to stay locked in an upstairs room 'just for a few days' while she explains things to her father, and instead, in a stiflingly soft trickle of excuses, they end up there for the next four years.

It's a haunting, fascinating book, in that there are such bad things done in such plausible ways. Not the grandmother (although the over the top nightmare punishments of tar in the hair and whippings had their own sick terrors) but their mother, who does start loving them so much, and is just weak and ashamed, and the more ashamed she gets the more she neglects, and lies to herself that she is doing all she can with her rich gifts and her visits. It's heartbreaking, and feels so close to how evil really works in the world

I remembered it as a love story, Cathy and Chris, brother and sister, trapped away from the world... but rereading it as an adult it is a strange twisted and strangled love story, of rape and denial.

But oh, you end up loving them so much, doing the best they can with the hands they've been dealt, bravely decorating the attic, teaching the twins to read, domesticating their mouse, trying to make Christmas presents for their Grandmother, sneaking out onto the roof, surviving the week when they are starved, reading and learning and studying... it is hard not to fall in love with Cathy in her ballerina costume dancing in the sunbeams in the attic. ( )
  atreic | Nov 7, 2016 |
I put this book down at 20%.

The premise really intrigued me -- children locked up in an attic for years. How would someone actually write about that, if nothing happens?

I also really liked some of the other aspects of the book. There's an unreliable narrator, Cathy, there's a tone to the book that feels a little bit Southern Gothic. Part Daphne du Maurier, part Shirley Jackson and it captured my interest in the sample chapters that I'd read on my kindle.

But then when I actually purchased it, it fell flat. The chapters dragged on, and I felt like it could've been so much shorter and neater. I wasn't sure if I'd continue with it if it was going to go so slowly, but I thought I should give it one more try.

Then, I got to one particular chapter that was quite disturbing and looked up the rest of the plot.

After that, I decided I didn't need to read it at all.

Such a shame, because I was enjoying it, but it just got boring and long-winded, and I didn't want to read it anymore.

(tw: all of them, really and truly.)
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
I remember reading this as a teenager and thinking the book was amazing. Recently Lifetime, released the movie and I watched it thinking there was definitely somethings missing from the movie. After re-reading this book I can honestly say the movie does NOT do the book justice. I was actually upset of everything that it missed. I loved this book and while I do not particularly think that incest is cool or anything like that I liked the book and how it progressed. I went out and bought the rest of the series because I want to re-read V.C. Andrews masterpiece.
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
Interesting. Scary. Weird. I'm not sure how I felt about the book in the end, though it was well written. ( )
  LaPhenix | Jul 22, 2016 |

V. C. Andrewsprimary authorall editionscalculated
van Loon, ParmaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
(Part One) Shall the clay say to him that fashioneth it, What makest thou?

Isaiah 45:9
This book is dedicated to my mother.
It is so appropriate to color hope yellow, like that sun we seldom saw. (Prologue)
Truly, when I was very young, way back in the Fifties, I believed all of life would be like one long and perfect summer day. (Chapter 1)
DO NOT COMBINE WITH BOXED SETS OR MULTIPLE-NOVELS

Way upstairs there are four secrets hidden. Blond, beautiful, innocent little secrets, struggling to stay alive. Flowers In the Attic The four Dollanganger children had such perfect lives -- a beautiful mother, a doting father, a lovely home. Then Daddy was killed in a car accident, and Momma could no longer support the family. So she began writing letters to her parents, her millionaire parents, whom the children had never heard of before. Momma tells the children all about their rich grandparents, and how Chris and Cathy and the twins will live like princes and princesses in their grandparents' fancy mansion. The children are only too delighted by the prospect. But there are a few things that Momma hasn't told them. She hasn't told them that their grandmother considers them "devil's spawn" who should never have been born. She hasn't told them that she has to hide them from their grandfather if she wants to inherit his fortune. She hasn't told them that they are to be locked away in an abandoned wing of the house with only the dark, airless attic to play in. But, Momma promises, it's only for a few days.... Then the days stretch into months, and the months into years. Desperately isolated, terrified of their grandmother, and increasingly convinced that their mother no longer cares about them, Chris and Cathy become all things to the twins and to each other. They cling to their love as their only hope, their only strength -- a love that is almost stronger than death.
"My lover is hot!"
Now hold on. You mean he is
her brother? Oh, ick.

(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671729411, Mass Market Paperback)

This is the Extroardinary Novel That Has Captured Millions in Its Spell!

All across America and around the world, millions of readers have been captivated by this strange, dark, terriifying tale of passion and peril in the lives of four innoocent children, locked away from the world by a selfish mother.

Flowers in the Attic is the novel that launched the extraordinary career of V.C. Andrews®, winning her an immediate and fiercely devoted worldwide following; today there are more than 85 million copies of her books in print.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:54 -0400)

Horror. 1st in trilogy.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,635,959 books! | Top bar: Always visible