A Game of Thrones, Volume 1 by George R. R.…

A Game of Thrones, Volume 1 (2012)

by George R. R. Martin

Other authors: Daniel Abraham (Adapter), Tommy Patterson (Illustrator)

Series: A Game of Thrones Graphic Novel (TPB 1)

The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (majkia)
    majkia: both treat characters with less than kindness, and both have twists and turns.

I was asked: "Is this bad, or just bad in comparison?"

The short answer:

It's not bad, but it's not good, either.

Longer answer:

Basically, how many different ways can you tell the same story and keep it fresh? Unfortunately, I didn't feel like there was anything here that made it stand apart from the original book or the show. The art is ok, but I had trouble distinguishing some of the characters from each other unless they were talking, as many of them look too familiar to each other. The adaptation itself is ok, but nothing spectacular. I also felt that unless you'd already read the books or seen the show, there were some aspects to the story that were glossed over a little too thinly, so if this was your only access to the story, some of it wouldn't be clear. This seemed to be written with the express understanding that anybody reading it would already have a base knowledge of what's going on, and I think that's poor adapting of a story.

I guess if you're a hardcore GoT fan, this could be a good addition to your library, but for the casual fan like myself, it's just not that compelling. I'll just stick with the original books and show. ( )
  tapestry100 | Jul 5, 2015 |
FOR TEENS and Young Readers?

I picked up this graphic novel because of my kids. Being an older mom I have my particular ideas as to what is appropriate for my kids, even now that they are younger teens. The books, of course, would be the best option for them, but I'm afraid the huge volumes intimidate them. And I guess I understand that. The HBO series though is not something I'm going to give them permission to watch. I like it, but the sex scenes are in-apro-pro. And I don't care if 'all my friends watch it'. (Maybe yes, may bs.)

This graphic novel lays somewhere's inbetween the story of the books and the story as it is presented on video. There are little clarifying elements that pop up from the book, that aren't explicit in the HBO series. What I'm not sure about is whether someone coming fresh to the material could make heads or tales of the various plot lines. I think they might find it slightly confusing.

Artwork
The artwork is gorgeous. And I like that the characters don't look 100% like the actors from the show.

The Naughty Bits
There are naughty bits. But they artwork doesn't show anything other than breasts... and suggestive positions for other things. I wouldn't let elementary aged kids read this. From there up it would probably depend on the child. My own middle schooler probably wouldn't find this interesting at this time. My high schooler has started to read Volume 1.

For Adult fans I think this could be an entertaining read. For moms like myself, I hope I've given you enough info to see whether this would be an introduction to the GoT mythology. There is graphic representation of sex but it's certainly tamed down from the video series. ( )
  PamFamilyLibrary | Jun 19, 2015 |
This was a treat. It’s not the books, by far. But I really enjoyed seeing the artwork of a series I love so much played out like this. Mostly it was for fun, me reading this. The artwork is fantastic and the forward by George R. R. Martin was interesting to read. I’m not sure if I’ll read the whole graphic novel rendition of the series – I’m not even sure how far they will go with this, but it was a great bedtime read. ( )
  Kassilem | Aug 9, 2014 |
First volume (of four) of a graphic adaptation of George R. R. Martin's [8366::A Game of Thrones]. This is a fairly straight-forward adaptation of the original work and I appreciated that the artists have gone out of their way not to copy the imagery of the TV-series but rather depend on the descriptions from the original novel. The art is proficient rather than exciting and the coloring is very enjoyable. I wouldn't replace reading the novel with these books, but they do provide a slightly different twist on the story. They would have been infinitely more interesting had the TV-series not existed, and I have to say if you're picking one over the other, go with the live-action version. The extra material consists of excellent "behind-the-scenes" materials about the creation of the graphic novels (mechanical as well as creative) from the writers, artists, and editors. ( )
  -Eva- | Jul 22, 2014 |
My first graphic novel, at least since the "Classics Illustrated" comics I read as a kid. Read this prior to watching the HBO series. ( )
  gkyoungen | Mar 24, 2014 |

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abraham, DanielAdaptersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patterson, TommyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 044042321X, Hardcover)

This graphic novel adaptation contains more than fifty pages of exclusive content not available in the original comic books, including

• a new Preface by George R. R. Martin
• early renderings of key scenes and favorite characters from the novels
• a walk-through of the entire creative process, from auditioning the artists to tweaking the scripts to coloring the final pages
• behind-the-scenes commentary from Daniel Abraham, Tommy Patterson, and series editor Anne Groell

You’ve read the books. You’ve watched the hit series on HBO. Now acclaimed novelist Daniel Abraham and illustrator Tommy Patterson bring George R. R. Martin’s epic fantasy masterwork A Game of Thrones to majestic new life in the pages of this full-color graphic novel. Comprised of the initial six issues of the graphic series, this is the first volume in what is sure to be one of the most coveted collaborations of the year.

Winter is coming. Such is the stern motto of House Stark, the northernmost of the fiefdoms that owe allegiance to King Robert Baratheon in far-off King’s Landing. There Eddard Stark of Winterfell rules in Robert’s name. There his family dwells in peace and comfort: his proud wife, Catelyn; his sons Robb, Brandon, and Rickon; his daughters Sansa and Arya; and his bastard son, Jon Snow. Far to the north, behind the towering Wall, lie savage Wildings and worse—unnatural things relegated to myth during the centuries-long summer, but proving all too real and all too deadly in the turning of the season.

Yet a more immediate threat lurks to the south, where Jon Arryn, the Hand of the King, has died under mysterious circumstances. Now Robert is riding north to Winterfell, bringing his queen, the lovely but cold Cersei, his son, the cruel, vainglorious Prince Joffrey, and the queen’s brothers Jamie and Tyrion of the powerful and wealthy House Lannister—the first a swordsman without equal, the second a dwarf whose stunted stature belies a brilliant mind. All are heading for Winterfell and a fateful encounter that will change the course of kingdoms.

Meanwhile, across the Narrow Sea, Prince Viserys, heir of the fallen House Targaryen, which once ruled all of Westeros, schemes to reclaim the throne with an army of barbarian Dothraki—whose loyalty he will purchase in the only coin left to him: his beautiful yet innocent sister, Daenerys.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:00 -0400)

The kingdom of the Stark family faces its ultimate challenge in the onset of a generation-long winter, the poisonous plots of the rival Lannisters, the emergence of the Neverborn demons, and the arrival of barbarian hordes.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,101,520 books! | Top bar: Always visible