Monday Mornings: A Novel by Sanjay Gupta

Monday Mornings: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Sanjay Gupta

Member:dablackwood
Title:Monday Mornings: A Novel
Authors:Sanjay Gupta
Info:
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***

Monday Mornings by Sanjay Gupta

Monday Mornings is about a group of six doctors in a fictional hospital called Chelsea General. These doctors come from all walks of life. There is Dr. George Villanueva, a divorced former NFL player with a young son whom he has nothing in common with; Dr. Tyler Wilson, a hotshot neurosurgeon whose ego gets in the way and costs a young boy his life. Dr. Tina Ridgeway who comes from a legacy. She's in a loveless marriage, has an affair with Dr. Wilson, and finds more comfort in working at a free clinic than at Chelsea.

Dr. Sung Park is the oldest with the most amount of experience having two surgical residencies under his belt. He's a workaholic but a medical ailment may cause him to see there more to life than medicine. Dr. Sydney Saxena has forsaken any semblance of a personal life for a chance to become Chief of Surgery. They all for under Dr. Harden Hooten, the Chief of Surgery and his Morbidity and Mortality. It happens every Monday mornings at 6am.

I was really surprised in how much I really enjoyed this novel. Honestly, my opinion was clouded on how boring the show on TNT was. I thought it was well-paced and through. Dr. Sanjay Gupta gave me some interesting insight to those M&M conferences. Those M&M conferences are ingenious! Surgeons learn from each other's fatal mistakes. I liked the characters except for Ridgeway. I felt that she was selfish. I really liked Saxena and Park. I admired their work ethics. ( )

Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |
I was a big fan of ER when it aired, and this read like an episode or three of the show -- especially Park's GBM. Hello, Mark Greene. I felt the characters had good depth and grew appropriately attached to them, I especially liked El Gato.
I felt Gupta rushed the end and tried to tie up everything too quickly and the time line skipped around a little too much -- Tina was attacked on the same night Gato broke up a fight between her attacker and his gf several chapters before? Overall, a nice, light read and I'd read more alone these lines. ( )
  skinglist | Jun 9, 2013 |
This is the story of doctors at a very busy large medical center. On Monday mornings, they have discussions where anyone who had made a mistake is hung out to dry. The book, fiction of course, centers on four or five main characters and follows them. The characters were very believeable, but the plot did not seem to come to a climax, but instead continued up and down like an EKG. Also, I do not know if those not in medicine would appreciate the terminology as it could be technical. ( )
  LivelyLady | Mar 12, 2013 |
The EMTs crashed through the swinging bay doors of the emergency room.

Every time surgeons operate, they're betting their skills are better than the brain tumor, the faulty heart valve, the fractured femur. Sometimes, they're wrong. At Chelsea General, surgeons answer for bad outcomes at the Morbidity and Mortality conference, known as M & M. This extraordinary peek behind the curtain into what is considered the most secretive meeting in all of medicine is the back drop for the entire book.

Monday Mornings, by Dr. Sanjay Gupta, follows the lives of five surgeons at Chelsea General as they push the limits of their abilities and confront their personal and professional failings, often in front of their peers at M & M. It is on Monday mornings that reflection and introspection occurs, usually in private. It is Monday Mornings that provides a unique look at the real method in which surgeons learn - through their mistakes. It is Monday Mornings when, if you're lucky, you have a chance at redemption.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:59 -0400)

At Chelsea General, surgeons answer for bad outcomes at the Morbidity and Mortality conference, known as M & M. This peek behind the curtain into what is considered the most secretive meeting in all of medicine is the backdrop for this story.

110 wanted2 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,387,679 books! | Top bar: Always visible