Monday Mornings: A Novel by Sanjay Gupta

Monday Mornings: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Sanjay Gupta

Info:Grand Central Publishing (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***

Monday Mornings by Sanjay Gupta

I was a big fan of ER when it aired, and this read like an episode or three of the show -- especially Park's GBM. Hello, Mark Greene. I felt the characters had good depth and grew appropriately attached to them, I especially liked El Gato.
I felt Gupta rushed the end and tried to tie up everything too quickly and the time line skipped around a little too much -- Tina was attacked on the same night Gato broke up a fight between her attacker and his gf several chapters before? Overall, a nice, light read and I'd read more alone these lines. ( )
  skinglist | Jun 9, 2013 |
This is the story of doctors at a very busy large medical center. On Monday mornings, they have discussions where anyone who had made a mistake is hung out to dry. The book, fiction of course, centers on four or five main characters and follows them. The characters were very believeable, but the plot did not seem to come to a climax, but instead continued up and down like an EKG. Also, I do not know if those not in medicine would appreciate the terminology as it could be technical. ( )
  LivelyLady | Mar 12, 2013 |
I picked up this book from my library stack to read at bedtime. It was so awful that I actually got out of bed to put it in the return stack. The introduction of the characters was appalling, entirely cliched, not a single original thought in it. I have seldom read such an awful beginning and I will definitely not be reading more. ( )
  Tonestaple | Jan 31, 2013 |
Frankly I was a bit disappointed in this book. I have read Dr. Gupta's non fiction before and always enjoyed it. This novel is pretty straightforward and honestly, pretty trite. I like reading medical stuff, so I stayed with it. But I think the characters are a bit stereotyped and flat. ( )
1 vote dablackwood | Dec 14, 2012 |
Really my review of this book could be summed up in one word: fine. The story is that of several neurosurgeons who work at the same hospital. They’ve all got their own professional and personal demons to deal with, and certainly the book is not short on drama.

Readers who love a good medical mystery will probably like this book. There’s quite a lot of medical terminology, but I think Mr. Gupta did a good job not talking down to the reader while also explaining what things were in an easy to understand way.

Individually the story lines were as interesting as any prime time drama, but the whole thing felt a little cold to me. While there were plenty of descriptions of feelings and scenarios that should have choked me up, this very much felt like it was written by a doctor focusing on the details and forgetting to add the heart.

Also, per FCC guidelines I hereby inform you that this is yet another book I received from the publisher at no cost. ( )
1 vote agnesmack | Aug 18, 2012 |
The EMTs crashed through the swinging bay doors of the emergency room.

Every time surgeons operate, they're betting their skills are better than the brain tumor, the faulty heart valve, the fractured femur. Sometimes, they're wrong. At Chelsea General, surgeons answer for bad outcomes at the Morbidity and Mortality conference, known as M & M. This extraordinary peek behind the curtain into what is considered the most secretive meeting in all of medicine is the back drop for the entire book.

Monday Mornings, by Dr. Sanjay Gupta, follows the lives of five surgeons at Chelsea General as they push the limits of their abilities and confront their personal and professional failings, often in front of their peers at M & M. It is on Monday mornings that reflection and introspection occurs, usually in private. It is Monday Mornings that provides a unique look at the real method in which surgeons learn - through their mistakes. It is Monday Mornings when, if you're lucky, you have a chance at redemption.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:59 -0400)

At Chelsea General, surgeons answer for bad outcomes at the Morbidity and Mortality conference, known as M & M. This peek behind the curtain into what is considered the most secretive meeting in all of medicine is the backdrop for this story.

110 wanted2 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,474,801 books! | Top bar: Always visible