The Defining Decade: Why Your Twenties…

by Meg Jay

Member:jasmeyer
Title:The Defining Decade: Why Your Twenties Matter--And How to Make the Most of Them Now
Authors:Meg Jay
Info:Twelve (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 272 pages
Tags:2012, non-fiction, NPR, Diane Rehm

The Defining Decade: Why Your Twenties Matter--And How to Make the Most of Them Now by Meg Jay

This book made me cringe at the sight of my Nook. I didn't want to continue reading this. She makes me feel like a complete failure and makes no attempts to encourage twentysomethings to strive for better. Her anecdotes are those I'd expect from a disappointed mother who isn't aware of her tone of condescension. ( )
  Curlyzha | Apr 15, 2015 |
Abso-freaking-lutely one of the best and most relevant self-help books I've ever read! I strongly recommend it to any and all twenty-somethings who find words like college, professional identity, (first-time-working) anxiety, (online) dating (and dating down), job hunting, urban tribes, personality, marriage, children, planning for the future, and/or many others at all relevant to them!

Now please excuse me while I go find a job. ( )
  MMMMTOASTY | Mar 16, 2015 |
Yup, I read this book. It was good and informative.

But I have to say, the main thing it told me was the stuff I already knew. Which, to be fair, I maybe needed to be told again. But that was the fault of a lot of adults in my network (not my parents, to be clear) making sure I know that I'm still young, and it's fine to have fun, and blah blah blah.

That has always irritated me, because I have always felt like I was missing out. I have never heard my parents regret having a family so young or talk about the things they could have done if they had spent their 20s the way I have spent a good chunk of mine.

Seriously, listen to the people who you know who are in their twenties and decide if they sound happy to you. Compare the ones who are on a solid career path with those who are blundering around trying to figure things out. Because this whole "being young, having fun" thing is way overrated.

And this book is all about that. It's all about young twenty-something people who are torn between all of these cliches and ideas that are fed to them by older influences, like parents, employers, etc. For example, "you can be anything you want," which at some point just makes people feel like they can't be anything, or "You should be having fun!" which makes people think that by partying and taking it easy all the time, they are doing what they are supposed to be doing, even if they don't feel remotely fulfilled.

So basically this book reinforced everything that I already thought/believed but was starting to think I was being unrealistic about, mainly because everybody I know, peers and older role models (not to mention a couple of people I did informational interviews with) said that I shouldn't worry and everything will work out and blah blah blah.

So, you know. This book is good. Recommended, even. ( )
  GraceZ | Sep 6, 2014 |
Excellent book for young men and women. Should be required reading for all college students. ( )
  libq | Mar 25, 2014 |
In my mind, this book is a must-read for twenty-somethings. Meg Jay, a psychologist specializing in adult development, illuminates some of the important, life-changing elements of our twenties, using real-life patients as examples. Jay talks about how our twenties set the stage for the rest of our lives and are the time to actively plan for the lives we want rather than expecting that everything will just fall into place. Our twenties do matter, even though society has viewed this decade more and more as an extended adolescence rather than real adulthood. ( )
  ReadHanded | Apr 25, 2013 |

Our "thirty-is-the-new-twenty" culture tells us the twentysomething years don't matter. Some say they are a second adolescence. Others call them an emerging adulthood. Dr. Meg Jay, a clinical psychologist, argues that twentysomethings have been caught in a swirl of hype and misinformation, much of which has trivialized what is actually the most defining decade of adulthood.

Drawing from a decade of work with hundreds of twentysomething clients and students, THE DEFINING DECADE weaves the latest science of the twentysomething years with behind-closed-doors stories from twentysomethings themselves. The result is a provocative read that provides the tools necessary to make the most of your twenties, and shows us how work, relationships, personality, social networks, identity, and even the brain can change more during this decade than at any other time in adulthood-if we use the time wisely.

THE DEFINING DECADE is a smart, compassionate and constructive book about the years we cannot afford to miss.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:20 -0400)

Describes why the twenties can be the most defining decade of adulthood and offers tips on making the most of work and relationships during this still-formative time in a person's life.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,166,969 books! | Top bar: Always visible