Great with Child: Letters to a Young Mother…

Great with Child: Letters to a Young Mother (2006)

by Beth Ann Fennelly

Really great book! The author does a great job of giving you a real account from a personal perspective of life before a child and after a child. It really warms my heart to hear advice that is helpful to a soon to be mother. She is honest about the things that happened to her and may happen to a woman about to have child. The perspective that life really changes completely after you have a child is so true. ( )
  Jtalley2 | May 27, 2015 |
This may be the best book ever to be gifted to new, expectant, soon-to-be mothers.

I'd also recommend it for experienced mothers, young mothers... actually all mothers, really. The new and young ones need all the advice they can get, and this book will help them feel not at all alone in everything they are experiencing. For the wise, matured mothers who've "been there", I'm pretty sure they all want to relive that moment when they first held our babies, the first days, the first snuggles... Reading this will make you smile and remember the joy and pain that only motherhood brings.

This book was added quickly to my Favourites List.
  deadgirl | May 29, 2014 |
A poignant series of letters from the author to her former student, Kathleen. The author is a poet and a mother, and her letters reflect both. I bought the book to give as a gift, but now I'm going to keep it for myself. ( )
  AspiringAmeliorant | Nov 17, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039332978X, Paperback)

"May be the best book ever to give for a baby shower."—Tampa Tribune

A toddler's mother, both an intimate guide and an affectionate coach, writes to a pregnant friend about the transforming experience of motherhood. "These are letters I would have welcomed when I was pregnant," says Beth Ann Fennelly, as she seeks to go beyond the nuts and bolts or sentimentality of other parenting literature. The letters range in tone from serious to sisterly, from light-hearted to downright funny. Some answer specific questions such as decisions about pain medication; others muse about the identity shift a woman encounters when she enters Mommyland or address our responsibility to the natural world. Still others explore the magic and mysteries of childbirth, the wonders of language, and the exhilaration (also the ambivalence) about a baby's first steps to independence.

Here are modern letters written in an old-fashioned way, not as hasty e-mails but more slowly and filtered through the sensibility of a spirited, fearless poet. Though written for a specific person, their themes are universal, inviting all mothers to join the grand circle of giving and receiving advice about children.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:12 -0400)

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,542,297 books! | Top bar: Always visible