The Lotus Seed by Sherry Garland

The Lotus Seed (edition 1997)

by Sherry Garland, Tatsuro Kiuchi (Illustrator)

3881927,669 (4.08)3
Member:KatieKrivo
Title:The Lotus Seed
Authors:Sherry Garland
Other authors:Tatsuro Kiuchi (Illustrator)
Info:Sandpiper (1997), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 32 pages
Collections:Wishlist
Rating:*****
Tags:Vietnam, war, history, tradition

The Lotus Seed by Sherry Garland

" The Lotus Seed" this story is great for showing family tradition and symbolic meaning. The story is descriptive and detailed when explaining the emotion and importance of the flower. Great for doing an activity about the origin of traditions, can also be great book to open a discussion about students family and their traditions. The story also has great illustration that go great with the distributions given. ( )
  sarahperez | Sep 8, 2016 |
I liked this book because I learned something about my culture. Also, it is a simple book for a child to read.
  Elisabeth_Reil | May 26, 2016 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The lotus flower is actually my favorite and I draw them all of the time. This book can be used for many different lessons. It could be used for a lesson on different cultures, and how in the story, the family had to make a hard move to a new land that was unfamiliar and they didn't understand the others. I could do this as a read-aloud and teach the hardships of moving, especially to a whole new country. I could also do a science lesson on how lotus' grow very differently from a regular flower. I could also have the students research their heritage and make a family tree from their findings.
  AnnaTaylor | Apr 26, 2016 |
47 months - beautifully illustrated and well told but likely to appeal more to adults than kids. Some new vocabulary and one of many books we've read about families moving from one country to another because of war or other turmoil. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
Story of a seed being passed down through generations. Very metaphorical and symbolic. Beautiful.
  kali.joy | Sep 22, 2015 |

Sherry Garlandprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kiuchi, TatsuroIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152014837, Paperback)

When she is forced to leave Vietnam, a young girl brings a lotus seed with her to America in remembrance of her homeland. “Exquisite artwork fuses with a compelling narrative--a concise endnote places the story effectively within a historical context--to produce a moving and polished offering.”--Publishers Weekly

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:19 -0400)

A young Vietnamese girl saves a lotus seed and carries it with her everywhere to remember a brave emperor and the homeland that she has to flee.

Sherry Garland is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,135,270 books! | Top bar: Always visible