The House in the Night by Susan Marie…

The House in the Night

by Susan Marie Swanson

Illustrations and easy-to-read text explore the light that makes a house in the night a home filled with light.

A gentle journey of the night, a young girl and the reassuring ends and order of the universe. Themes of naming nightime things and how they relate to everything (sun and moon) are wonderfully created under the background of a fictional flying dream journey on the back of a night bird. A reassuring and very deep telling of a nighttime story about how things fascinate us. ( )
  W.Arute | Aug 25, 2019 |
-Great read aloud for younger children. Beautiful contrast with illustrations. Full of meaning and potential, but not too complicated or hard to discuss and understand. ( )
  EMiMIB | Jul 17, 2019 |
This book is quite lovely with mostly black and white illustrations with pops of yellow to illuminate the places where light exists.This book is somewhat in the style of The House That Jack Built and the rhythm is very peaceful. This is a perfect book for a bedtime story. ( )
  JenniferSprinkle | Jun 27, 2019 |
"The House in the Night" was awarded the Caldecott Medal in 2009. The story follows a child going home and reading before bed, then falling asleep. Rather than explicitly stating what is happening in the text, the illustrations show more of the story while the text follows the structure of naming things through the house. There's the key to the house, in the house there's a light, in the light is a bed, on the bed is a book, in the book is a bird, in the bird is a song about the dark, in the dark is the moon, and on the moon shines the sun. From there the book then names each of these things in reverse, showing the constant order that is in the universe. The illustrations seem to be done in ink, and cross-hatching is the primary method of showing depth and contrast. Color is used sparingly, with yellow being the only color besides black and white in the book. Like I said before, the illustrations are the primary way of delivering the plot to the reader; as the text names the different nighttime items, the illustrations show a young child reading a book and imagining themselves flying in the night sky. The text and the illustrations work together to provide a comfy, warm nighttime mood to the reader. The sparse use of the color yellow in the illustrations is usually used to highlight the item or concept described in the text. I found it somewhat hard to describe this book since it's so simple, but I did genuinely enjoy it. I think it's a good book to read to children before bed, as the repetitive text is calming and, "illuminates a reassuring order to the universe," as stated by the author. While reading this I actually found myself nodding off, not due to boredom, but instead because of the comfort I felt. ( )
  awaldrup | Feb 17, 2019 |
this book is great for teachers to read in order to connect with the students. The teacher can use this to get students to discuss about what their houses look like. It could be fun. ( )
  mls127 | Nov 26, 2018 |
For Tom, Nicholas and Benjamin--my family
--S.M.S.
For my girls
--B.K.
Here is the key to the house.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,767,858 books! | Top bar: Always visible