Like the Flowing River by Paulo Coelho

Like the Flowing River (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Paulo Coelho (Author)

In this collection of thoughts and stories, Coelho, author of 'The Alchemist', offers his personal reflections on a range of subjects from archery and music to elegance, travelling and the nature of good and evil. 'Like the Flowing River' also includes jewel-like fables, packed with meaning and retold in Coelho's inimitable style.… (more)
Member:wdorrance
Title:Like the Flowing River
Authors:Paulo Coelho (Author)
Info:HarperCollins Publishers (2007), Edition: UK ed., 272 pages

Like the Flowing River: Thoughts and Reflections by Paulo Coelho (2006)

English (8)  Portuguese (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (10)
I sort of regret reading through this so fast – I wonder if it would be better to read a story a night, to contemplate the simple yet profound messages Coelho preaches in each one. As with his other works, he refers to one’s “Personal Legend” and “Warriors of Light” and discusses the language everyone can understand and the “Soul of the World.” Likewise, from “Self-Deception” and stories about self-doubt and comparing oneself to others, he writes about confidence and peace in the present moment repeatedly. My personal favorite, “Alone on the Road,” describes life as a bicycle race, and those that successfully proceed along the course toward their personal legends face loneliness and question the value of continuing. He emphasizes awareness about what one believes, knows, and doesn’t know. All of these intense personal challenges – along with recognition of the constant change in the world and within oneself – create internal peace. With internal peace, of course, comes love for others and peace and love in the world. With something like 120 quick little lessons on topics this heavy, Like the Flowing River leaves the reader in a contemplative mood, inspired to spend more time on tasks of substance rather than the usual routine and superficiality of his or her everyday life. ( )
  revatait | Feb 21, 2021 |
very inspiring book. ( )
  Gary_Power | Jul 10, 2016 |
This one was one of the more boring books Mr. Coelho has written IMO, but I guess it truly is in the eye of the beholder. Not among my faves. ( )
  Lexxie | Apr 23, 2013 |
Inspirational. This book set me back to the right path. The lessons I learned and re-learned through Paulo Coelho is really life changing. I really feel emotional not to the point of tears though especially when he shared the story about reaching one's dreams. I'm a bum right now eagerly waiting for the time to go to Law school and sometimes when I feel like I'm being left behind by my prior classmates who are now seeking for their careers, I just remember the story about the mountain thinking that all this waiting is just part of the game, part of my dream. ( )
  av0415 | Jan 10, 2012 |
This is a great book of meditations large and small in the form of stories and true vignettes from the life of the author. I recommend keeping it on your nightstand and reading just one or two stories before you go to bed--you'll sleep well. If you are familiar with Coelho's works, you'll recognize the "warrior of the light" and the reference to "personal legends" (see The Alchemist). The collection is a testament to Coelho's expansive horizon (see The Valkyries: An Encounter with Angels) and will likely inject you with little doses of inspiration for your personal legend. ( )
  rebcamuse | Jun 5, 2011 |

Coelho, Pauloprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Janssen, PietTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zijn als de rivier die stil stroomt door de nacht.
Niet vrezen het duister van die nacht.
Als er sterren aan de hemel staan, ze weerspiegelen.
En als de hemel betrekt met wolken,
zoals de rivier zijn de wolken water;
ze ook weerspiegelen,
in je kalme diepten.

Manoel Bandeira

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,807,037 books! | Top bar: Always visible