Tops & Bottoms by Janet Stevens

Tops & Bottoms (1995)

by Janet Stevens

English (91)  Korean (1)  All languages (92)
This is a worthwhile read in my opinion. It is about a Brown Bear, and a Hare, and all the plating and crop work they do. Brow Bear is very lazy, and Hare is sort of a trickster. However all in all this pushes readers to think of the subject of hard work, and how perseverance and never giving up will get you your end goal.

The writing this book repeats a lot, yet I don't think that is a disadvantage at all. I also liked how it teaches kids about taking turns, and getting rewarded for the work YOU particularly do. The illustrations matched the text, and the plot was clearly established. All in all, good read! ( )
  Skaide1 | Dec 10, 2014 |
The cover of the book shows a brown bear sleeping on a chair upside down with his head on the foot rest. We learn early in the book that the bear is very lazy. He has inherited most of his fortune and has not done anything to further himself.
The Hare family develops a plan that unfolds over three business transactions between the lazy bear and the clever hares. In each transaction, the hare tricks the bear by allowing him to pick the tops or bottoms. Once the bear picks, the hare plants the crop that benefits the hare. Top and Bottoms will help teach young children how different vegetables grow.
This book was fun to read and the con work by the hare was funny. It shows children the importance of attention to detail, hard work, and using your wits to overcome obstacles. ( )
  ecollado | Nov 26, 2014 |
I liked this book because it was funny and had amazing illustrations. The story is about a hare and a bear working as business partners, except the hare always tricks the bare into getting the worse end of the deal. The bear finally has enough and decides not to be business partners anymore. This book has a lot of repetitive language which is beneficial for emerging readers. It allows them to say the lines with the book from memory, which boosts their confidence when learning how to read. ( )
  sconne7 | Nov 2, 2014 |
I really liked this book. I loved the story line, the illustrations and the creativity used to design the layout of the book, so basically everything in this book, I loved. The book starts off going vertically (up and down) instead of side to side. I really loved this aspect of the book. This gets the readers engaged in the book I believe. They have to turn the pages of the book and turn the direction that the book is read in. This really helps the child learn how to first read a book and which direction to read it in.

The illustrations in the book are very colorful and bright which really grabs the readers attention when reading the book. It also paints a very vivid picture about the events of the story. This made it easier to understand what was happening in the book. Personally I believe that the pictures in the book make the story and that the words aren't really needed. That is how good I think the illustrations are.

I also really liked the message in this story which is to not be lazy because then you miss out on different opportunities. The bear in the book was lazy and because of that he didn't get what he wanted. This book is good to teach young readers to not be lazy and to go after what they want in life. Overall, I would recommend this book to everyone. It is that terrific. ( )
  sreinh2 | Nov 2, 2014 |
Tops and Bottoms is an excellent book for a variety of reasons. It is a very silly book that children will be very engaged with. When read to, the descriptive language and writing is engrossing, and children will be excited to point out all of the ways that the rabbit is "tricking" the bear with the harvest. The characters are great. With the bear being not as savvy as the rabbit, children will love wanting to "help" the bear out, or they'll love how tricky the rabbit is. Janet Stevens does a great job of illustrating the book with a detailed but pleasing style that helps the story along for those that take in information visually. Overall, this is a great book extolling the virtues of hard work that I would be excited to add to my collection. ( )
  jmitra1 | Sep 23, 2014 |
Once upon a time there lived a very lazy bear who had lots of money and lots of land.

Hare solves his family’s problems by tricking rich and lazy Bear in this funny, energetic version of an old slave story. With roots in American slave tales, Tops & Bottoms celebrates the trickster tradition of using one’s wits to overcome hardship. “As usual, Stevens’ animal characters, bold and colorful, are delightful. . . . It’s all wonderful fun, and the book opens, fittingly, from top to bottom instead of from side to side, making it perfect for story-time sharing.”--Booklist

This title has been selected as a Common Core Text Exemplar (Grades 2-3, Stories)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:10 -0400)

Hare turns his bad luck around by striking a clever deal with the rich and lazy bear down the road.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,361,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible