Tops & Bottoms by Janet Stevens

Tops & Bottoms (1995)

by Janet Stevens

English (87)  Korean (1)  All languages (88)
Tops and Bottoms is an excellent book for a variety of reasons. It is a very silly book that children will be very engaged with. When read to, the descriptive language and writing is engrossing, and children will be excited to point out all of the ways that the rabbit is "tricking" the bear with the harvest. The characters are great. With the bear being not as savvy as the rabbit, children will love wanting to "help" the bear out, or they'll love how tricky the rabbit is. Janet Stevens does a great job of illustrating the book with a detailed but pleasing style that helps the story along for those that take in information visually. Overall, this is a great book extolling the virtues of hard work that I would be excited to add to my collection. ( )
  jmitra1 | Sep 23, 2014 |
Tops and Bottoms
Bryan O’Keeffe

I really loved reading this book. Tops and Bottoms had everything a good child’s book needs. I think the best thing about the book were the illustrations. They were drawn really well and accompanied the story almost perfectly. Any little child would love looking at the illustrations while reading this book. The plot was done really well. There were several conflicts throughout the story which kept the reader invested. Every harvest time the Rabbit would trick the Bear into getting the wrong part of the vegetable. The Bear thought he was clever enough to trick the Rabbit into giving him the good part next harvest. However every harvest the rabbit planted a vegetable that had the good part on the opposite of what Bear had picked. The struggle between the two was very comical which made the book very entertaining.
The book was from a third person point of view told by a narrator. I think this was appropriate for the story because the story was more believable that way. Rather than having either the Rabbit or the Bear tell the story. I thought that the message of the story was done really well and extremely obvious throughout; only hard work can pay off. ( )
  bokeef2 | Sep 22, 2014 |
Love this book. First, it has the lesson of hard work pays off. Children have to think about what part of each vegetable is the "good" part. This is a perfect opportunity to teach about gardening, and nutrition. Why not bring in some of the vegetables highlighted in the story for the children to handle and even taste? I liked how the family all worked together. The illustrations are beautiful. Something that makes this book distinctive is that it opens top to bottom! :) ( )
  barbarapatt | Aug 25, 2014 |
I love this book. A great way to help children understand the parts of a plant, and work on their comprehension, prediction, and inferring. Then illustrations are fantastic, especially the root system cut-away. A great combination of educational and fun. ( )
  kradish | Jul 30, 2014 |
The first thing I noticed when I opened the book was it was not written in the typical way other books are. I found the way we read the book to go along with the title and the storyline. I think this book has a good moral to it that children should learn, hard work pays off. It also teaches children about different types of vegetables and how they grow.
  nicholew | May 31, 2014 |
Once upon a time there lived a very lazy bear who had lots of money and lots of land.

Hare solves his family’s problems by tricking rich and lazy Bear in this funny, energetic version of an old slave story. With roots in American slave tales, Tops & Bottoms celebrates the trickster tradition of using one’s wits to overcome hardship. “As usual, Stevens’ animal characters, bold and colorful, are delightful. . . . It’s all wonderful fun, and the book opens, fittingly, from top to bottom instead of from side to side, making it perfect for story-time sharing.”--Booklist

This title has been selected as a Common Core Text Exemplar (Grades 2-3, Stories)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:10 -0400)

Hare turns his bad luck around by striking a clever deal with the rich and lazy bear down the road.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,332,925 books! | Top bar: Always visible