Seeds of Yesterday (Dollanger Saga) by V.C.…

Seeds of Yesterday (Dollanger Saga) (edition 1990)

by V.C. Andrews

Member:MyBookishWays
Title:Seeds of Yesterday (Dollanger Saga)
Authors:V.C. Andrews
Info:Pocket (1990), Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages

Seeds Of Yesterday by V. C. Andrews

I remember loving these growing up. A bit too dramatic for me now. Andrews kept up the shock appeal with the depressing ending, but there's always something fascinating with family sagas and seeing the couple - Chris and Cathy - grow up and old and experience. A worthy ending to the series. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Pretty good book. ( )
  nandamom74 | Mar 17, 2016 |
First words:
And so it came to pass the summer when I was fifty-two and Chris was fifty-four that our mother’s promise of riches, made long ago, when I was twelve and Chris was fourteen, was at last realized.

According to Wikipedia, after Virginia Andrews’ death, her family hired a ghostwriter, Andrew Neiderman, to finish the manuscripts she had started. And, also according to Wikipedia, Andrews wrote Seeds of Yesterday, in 1984, a couple of years before her death.

If you have read my review of If There Be Thorns (Book 3 in the Dollanganger series) you will have seen that I found this series fascinating, not exactly literary fiction but compelling reads and I was so excited to be reading the fourth book in the series. I could not wait to find out what happened to Chris and Cathy and their family.

Well, Andrews totally lost me in this one. I was disappointed. I really had high hopes. I found the details trite and tedious. There was so much repetition that I was bored. The characters behaviours did not ring true to the first three books. Cathy turned into the most manipulative mother possible, all the while telling others to “butt out” and leave her sons to figure out their lives for themselves. I could barely bring myself to finish the book. The multiple story lines were wrapped up in just a few paragraphs, like a beribboned Christmas present .

I told my son that I finally had my Dollanganger addiction broken and would definitely not be reading the last book in the series.

I could not figure out why or how Andrews could have gone so wrong from book three to book four and then I found this in the flyleaf of the paperback version and it all made sense.

“Following the death of Virginia Andrews, the Andrews family worked with a carefully selected writer to organize and complete Virginia Andrews’ stories and to create additional novels, of which this is one, inspired by her story telling genius.

So, Seeds of Yesterday was NOT written by V. C. Andrews but by ghostwriter, Andrew Neiderman

Virginia Andrews said about herself : "I think I tell a whopping good story. And I don't drift away from it a great deal into descriptive material", she stated in Faces of Fear in 1985. "When I read, if a book doesn't hold my interest about what's going to happen next, I put it down and don't finish it. So I'm not going to let anybody put one of my books down and not finish it. My stuff is a very fast read."

Neiderman does not tell a whopping good story.

2 stars
  ccookie | Mar 16, 2016 |
Just a delicious guilty pleasure. Everyone is a mess and it's all so dark. Fun! ( )
  bookwormteri | Mar 11, 2015 |
I found this book to be so awful that I could not even finish it. I just skimmed through the last ten or so chapters to see how it ended. Cathy and Chris are two of the worst parents I've ever seen and seem to get dumber and dumber as each book goes on. With Bart's history, with their own history, and with the history of Foxworth Hall, you would think that ONE of them would have a clue in between them. This is not to be the case. They stand around like blithering idiots while things fall apart around them. If I were 15 I might be able to accept this, and maybe 15 year old's were the intended audience for this book. In the first book, I actually felt sorry for these characters. By the time I got to this one, I thought they were all horrible. ( )
  mandolin | Mar 4, 2014 |

V. C. Andrewsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Loon, Parma vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The final, haunting novel, in the extraordinary story that has enthralled millions!
The horror began with Flowers in the Attic, the terrifying tale of four innocent children locked away from the world by a cruel mother.

The shocking fury continued with Petals on the Wind and If There be Thorns. Now V.C. Andrews has created the last dark chapter in the strange, chilling tale of passion and peril that has captivated millions of readers around the world.

Cathy and Chris, entwined with the evil that haunts their children, living with the fearful spectre of Foxworth Hall, are awaiting the final, shuddering climax - prisoners of a past they cannot escape.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671729489, Mass Market Paperback)

The shocking fury continued with Petals on the Wind and If There be Thorns. Now V.C. Andrews has created the last dark chapter in the strange, chilling tale of passion and peril.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:36 -0400)

Cathy's second son Bart seems powered by a negative force. Cathy sees the warning signs but cannot stop him.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,866,371 books! | Top bar: Always visible