Seeds of Yesterday (Dollanger Saga) by V.C.…

Seeds of Yesterday (Dollanger Saga) (edition 1990)

by V.C. Andrews

Member:MyBookishWays
Title:Seeds of Yesterday (Dollanger Saga)
Authors:V.C. Andrews
Info:Pocket (1990), Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages

Seeds Of Yesterday by V. C. Andrews

This book dragged even more than the previous one, if such a thing is possible, and just felt really far fetched and poorly resolved. Bart (Cathy's younger son) has inherited the Foxworth millions (kind of - he only gets some of it until he's older) and so has decided to rebuild the Foxworth mansion. Yes, the house that his mother was held captive in and that is the scene of so much Angst and Misery, that got finally burnt to the ground, gets to come back despite the implausible unlikeliness of this for this sequel. Even more unlikely, instead of everyone Fleeing for their Lives, they decide it would be really nice to go there for Bart's birthday party. Jory gets crippled at the party, and instead of going 'this house is where all our terrible things happen, why don't we go somewhere else' everyone goes 'oh, Jory can't walk, we'll just stay here for two years, even though it makes us deeply unhappy'.

Most of the plot is that Bart is being corrupted by Joel, his evil uncle. Or is he? Maybe he is just a nice old monk and Cathy is too suspicious? Maybe he is not really Bart's uncle? A huge pile of evidence builds up that Joel is Evil - the smashed up ship, the party where no-one comes, Jory being left exposed to the elements, the accident that cripples Jory - yet no-one really ever does anything about it. And at the end, he just wanders off back to his monastery to die, without any real resolution.

I will say, it is an interesting book if you want double standards on male and female sexuality. But 'read this, it has some stupid and infuriating stuff in it' is not a recommendation. Cindy is now a horny 16 year old, who is probably having more sex slightly younger than would be ideal. But Bart's over reaction - beating her boyfriend to a pulp, and carrying her naked up to the evil uncle so they can tell her what a whore she is - is insane and abusive, and yet the vast majority of the blame comes back to Cindy, who should have kept her legs together. And this is at a time when everyone knows Bart is sleeping with his lovers and using prostitutes in the village! Oddly, when Cindy does do bizarrely cruel things - she teases and taunts ex-monk-Joel at Christmas in a way that is just really rude - that's OK, because Cathy has a Feeling that Joel is Evil.

I'd have liked more about Melody. She's so weak - her husband is crippled, and she is depressed and then runs away - but in such an impossible position - Cathy is taking over the care of Jory and the children, and giving her no space.

The ending is rushed, and sad, but sad in a way that doesn’t fit with what has gone before. Chris dies in a car accident, Cathy grieves for 9 months and then dies, poignantly in the attic with a smile on her lips. I'm glad I made it to the end of the story, but really, I think the story ended at the end of book two... ( )
  atreic | Nov 7, 2016 |
This is probably my least favorite book in the series.
While I understand Bart's personality I still cannot get the fact that he did not grow out of his jealousy the way I thought he would when he almost lost his mother in the last book.

This was not bad it just was not my favorite in the series. I do love the Dollanganger series and I love how V.C. Andrews shaped the mold with the first story in the series. I just do not feel that any of the rest could meet the brilliancy of Flowers in the Attic ( )
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
"I am caught between Heaven and Hell in a kind of purgatory where ghosts of the past roam the hallways at night."

Foxworth Hall has been built again.

I just finished a long-overdue re-read of the finale of the five-book Dollanganger saga. Yes, I'd forgotten most of it, with the exception of the oh-so-sad ending and the return to a manor that once terrified everyone in the series.

While Flowers in the Attic started the journey that destroyed four innocent young lives, the series continued to follow the mains Cathy and Chris who had to cling to each other for sanity and life long after they left the attic. The ending of the book was actually beautiful. It's demented and dark, but it's fitting to go back to where it all started.

Besides the dramatic but perfected finish, Seeds of Yesterday suffered from some of the same things 'If There by Thorns' did. While told only through Cathy's point of view again, thankfully getting rid of the shifting POVs of the boys from the previous book, it still focuses on truly unlikable characters.....Frankly Cathy's kids grew up to be annoying. Whiny, self-pitying, pathetic and in some cases evil messes. I get sticking around for the salvation of a son but it became unrealistic. Seriously, Bart is just too annoying, Melanie is one of the worst excuses for a woman ever, and Cindy's wailing made me want her to face a tragic ending of her own.

Andrews rocked with beginnings, endings, and shredding a reader's hearts to pieces, but she sometimes overplayed the already dramatic tone of the Gothic. This book particularly reads unrealistically when it comes to most of the dialogue. Also, I am definitely getting tired of looming, older men's presences in the house spoiling everyone's fun.

It's weaker in comparison to the rest of the series except 'If there Be Thorns', but it's still a Dollanganger sequel, which wins points on its own. The haunting vibe was still very much alive in the pages, and that ended - while bleak and leaving me feeling like I have some lead sitting in my chest - is in a strange way a beautiful wrap-up of a twisted family line.

"He's up there, whispering in the winds to tell me that's where the purple grass grows. They're all up there waiting for me." ( )
1 vote ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Pretty good book. ( )
  nandamom74 | Mar 17, 2016 |
First words:
And so it came to pass the summer when I was fifty-two and Chris was fifty-four that our mother’s promise of riches, made long ago, when I was twelve and Chris was fourteen, was at last realized.

According to Wikipedia, after Virginia Andrews’ death, her family hired a ghostwriter, Andrew Neiderman, to finish the manuscripts she had started. And, also according to Wikipedia, Andrews wrote Seeds of Yesterday, in 1984, a couple of years before her death.

If you have read my review of If There Be Thorns (Book 3 in the Dollanganger series) you will have seen that I found this series fascinating, not exactly literary fiction but compelling reads and I was so excited to be reading the fourth book in the series. I could not wait to find out what happened to Chris and Cathy and their family.

Well, Andrews totally lost me in this one. I was disappointed. I really had high hopes. I found the details trite and tedious. There was so much repetition that I was bored. The characters behaviours did not ring true to the first three books. Cathy turned into the most manipulative mother possible, all the while telling others to “butt out” and leave her sons to figure out their lives for themselves. I could barely bring myself to finish the book. The multiple story lines were wrapped up in just a few paragraphs, like a beribboned Christmas present .

I told my son that I finally had my Dollanganger addiction broken and would definitely not be reading the last book in the series.

I could not figure out why or how Andrews could have gone so wrong from book three to book four and then I found this in the flyleaf of the paperback version and it all made sense.

“Following the death of Virginia Andrews, the Andrews family worked with a carefully selected writer to organize and complete Virginia Andrews’ stories and to create additional novels, of which this is one, inspired by her story telling genius.

So, Seeds of Yesterday was NOT written by V. C. Andrews but by ghostwriter, Andrew Neiderman

Virginia Andrews said about herself : "I think I tell a whopping good story. And I don't drift away from it a great deal into descriptive material", she stated in Faces of Fear in 1985. "When I read, if a book doesn't hold my interest about what's going to happen next, I put it down and don't finish it. So I'm not going to let anybody put one of my books down and not finish it. My stuff is a very fast read."

Neiderman does not tell a whopping good story.

2 stars
1 vote ccookie | Mar 16, 2016 |

V. C. Andrewsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Loon, Parma vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The final, haunting novel, in the extraordinary story that has enthralled millions!
The horror began with Flowers in the Attic, the terrifying tale of four innocent children locked away from the world by a cruel mother.

The shocking fury continued with Petals on the Wind and If There be Thorns. Now V.C. Andrews has created the last dark chapter in the strange, chilling tale of passion and peril that has captivated millions of readers around the world.

Cathy and Chris, entwined with the evil that haunts their children, living with the fearful spectre of Foxworth Hall, are awaiting the final, shuddering climax - prisoners of a past they cannot escape.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671729489, Mass Market Paperback)

The shocking fury continued with Petals on the Wind and If There be Thorns. Now V.C. Andrews has created the last dark chapter in the strange, chilling tale of passion and peril.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:36 -0400)

Cathy's second son Bart seems powered by a negative force. Cathy sees the warning signs but cannot stop him.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,833,195 books! | Top bar: Always visible