Ancient Light by John Banville

Ancient Light (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Banville

Member:NancyKay_Shapiro
Title:Ancient Light
Authors:John Banville
Info:Knopf (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:**1/2

Ancient Light by John Banville (2012)

English (16)  Spanish (3)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (21)
"The ancient light of galaxies...light takes time to reach your eyes...everywhere we look, everywhere, we are looking into the past." I was uncomfortable with the past as it was portrayed in Alex Cleave's flashbacks, even with the final revelation of Mrs. Gray's situation. Alex's recollections of the past were distorted, at least according to the witness of the final rendezvous, and lacked any cohesion with the more contemporary narrative about his daughter and the actress. However, it may have seemed disjointed to me as I had not read the first two books of the trilogy this book concludes. I received this book free from Goodreads First Reads program. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
Beautiful, gorgeous writing. I read words I'd never heard of before and thankfully read this book on my Kindle, many words were words used in the 19th century. Loved it! As I was reading I thought to myself - where does he come up with these words? Wonderful prose, lovely story. ( )
  Judy_Ryfinski | Jan 20, 2016 |
  Judy_Ryfinski | Jan 20, 2016 |
I was impressed with how well the book flowed, considering that it's written in alternating time frames. The plot is beautifully layered, the use of language textural and rich. The ending surprised and delighted me.
I'm not sure how Alex's daughter's story reflects meaningfully on his own coming-of-age love affair--does it?--but I don't think it matters.
Some readers might lose interest with the many passages of description. I didn't. I accepted that the novel had a slower, savouring kind of pace.
May I mention the word Proustian? Well, yes, since Banville mentions Proust himself.
One quibble: why do writers who weigh their words so carefully refer to characters with small heads as pin-headed? The head of a pin has a much larger circumference than the pin itself. Ditto the word ashen to describe a face. Even a corpse has more colour than ash does. Ashen-faced is a cliche that needs to be put to rest. ( )
  brocade | Sep 10, 2013 |
I just can't read Banville -- writing too dense & self-conscious -- plus, the strange subject matter (shades of Lionel Asbo). Abandoned after two chapters, so I probably missed the good bits. {Pre-publication review copy via Nook download}
  ReneeGKC | Jul 4, 2013 |

An actor in the twilight of his career reflects on a poignant first love affair at the age of fifteen with his best friend's mother and inexplicably lands a role opposite a famous but fragile actress who helps him come to an astonishing realization.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,253,091 books! | Top bar: Always visible