Raingun (The Raingun Chronicles) by John…

Raingun (The Raingun Chronicles)

by John Blackport

921,374,046 (3)None
2012 (1) 3 Star Rating (1) B (1) DRM epub (1) ebook (2) epub (1) fantasy (2) fiction (2) freebie (1) K (1) Kindle (1) nook (1) own (1) read (1) reviewed (1) upload 4b (1)

I read Rain Gun Summer, in exchange for honest review from Tomoson. The book was written by John Blackport. I received a paperback version of the book. The book is a thick book, but the scenes move fast. The book is action-packed from the beginning. The first scene--Rick is rescuing hostages. One of the funniest lines on page 1 was I got the money, Rick blurted, waving the jug. :And wine. Rick saved what was important LOL. A fight then ensued with Rick fighting pirates using spells and hand-to-hand combat. Chapter 1 ends in a shocker.

Also, from what I understand, People have 5 gifts. Each time an individual dies, they lose a gift when they are revived. The people can die five times. The book is also not meant for skimming. You need to read the book or you will miss a scene. I skimmed first to get a gist of the book, but had to start over and slowly read each scene. The book also does not go in chronological order. It does have back scenes.

Now what really stands out about the book is the back pages. The author provides a royal calender, which the book follows; an explanation of currency used in the book; a glossary, and the makers plan. The maker's plan explains the book more in detail.

As I was saying earlier, people are born with five gifts or lives. One life is lost with each death. When they lose their last gift, death is now permanent and they are not brought back to life. Permanently dead people are considered "giftless". When someone dies, they end up at temple, where they are brought back to life and they are protected from all criminal misdeeds, which occurred during the last death.

Also, each chapter starts with a date. The royal calender comes in handy. The calender consists of 19 months with 19 days.
I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. ( )
  staciewyatt | Aug 19, 2013 |
I was sent this book to read and review and like some areas and found myself befuddled in others.

First, as an ebook, and I read on an iPad so I have screen space, the maps are too small. And the maps are needed.

The need for the maps is one of the two major problems in the book and the story telling. This is a big series we are led to believe and there is an issue of class involved in our heroes life. You are born on the good side of the tracks, or not, as our hero isn't.

But as in America, you have a chance to forget the class society and by achievement work to a higher class. Yet our hero is trying to do that and just doesn't.

The problem I see is that we have a hero who does actions that is not likeable. He involves himself with more than one woman and we find as the book nears its conclusion that he is really taken with a lost love.

But we jump from time period to time period. So another thing of context we need is a timeline, and perhaps less flashbacks for continuity. I was greatly lost.

Then there is a concept of number of lives and I was struck by a similarity to Farlands Runelords series. Dungeon and Dragons should never have had that Resurrection spell. It would have made for everyone who died, to stay dead.

I am intrigued and would like to see how the writer evolves and how the series concludes. I would caution one to read the description thoroughly and see if you can read a sample. ( )
  DWWilkin | Jul 21, 2012 |

John Blackport is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,322,815 books! | Top bar: Always visible