Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten!…

Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten! (edition 2012)

by Hyewon Yum

Member:isln_reads
Title:Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten!
Authors:Hyewon Yum
Info:Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (2012), Hardcover, 36 pages
Collections:Early Years category
Tags:2013-2014, reddot early years

Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten! by Hyewon Yum

This book is about a young boys first day of kindergarten. He is very excited but his mom is nervous about it. The boy convinces his mom that everything will be okay and he is a big boy. When they get to school, the boy then becomes afraid, mom reassures him that he will be okay. He had a great first day and his mom is very relieved.
  Hollizphil | Mar 17, 2017 |
A kid who is so excited for his first day of kindergarten, but then isn't sure if he is ready or not. ( )
  Miriahharrison | Feb 27, 2017 |
A nice book to talk about emotions with. The book follows a young boy on his first day of school and shows his excitement through cheery colors and a big inflated size, and his mothers' nervousness through blue colors and small size. As the story goes on their feelings shift and their outward appearances reflect the change. In the end they are both happy. My son who is in kindergarten enjoyed this book when his teacher read it to him at the beginning of the school year. This would be an excellent book to share with kindergarten students within the first few days of school, as I'm sure most of them can relate to it. ( )
  nicholekoch | Dec 2, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book; I thought it was a great book. I liked it for its illustrations and how relatable it is for a parent or a student. It shows the feelings children and their parents experience on the child’s first day of school very accurately. In the beginning, the child is extremely excited to go to school, he keeps reassuring his mom “Don’t worry! We can run”. However, when they get to school, the child starts to feel nervous while stating to his mom, “Maybe I’m not ready for this?” The mother then reassures the child and he comes to find out “Kindergarten is awesome!” They are both sharing the same emotions at different points in the book, but reassure each other saying that it’ll be okay. I also loved the illustrations in this book. They were so detailed and showed the true emotions the mother and child was experiencing. When the child was excited, he was drawn larger than his mother with bright colors. Meanwhile, his mom was drawn small in dark colors, showing her sadness and nervousness in letting go of her son. However, when the child was feeling unsure about school, he was smaller than his mother and colorless while she was big and filled with color colorful. The message presented is anyone can be brave to try something new. ( )
  charlotteduncan | Oct 4, 2016 |
Mom, it’s my First Day of Kindergarten is a great book. I really enjoy it for the relatability and the illustrations. I believe this would be a great book to read for children just about to go to Kindergarten or school for the first time. It really depicts how children and adults act about the child’s first day, very accurately. At first, the child is so excited to go to school, even reassuring the mom “Don’t worry! We can run” just so they will be on time. Although, when they do arrive, the child starts to feel nervous and even admits “Maybe I’m not ready for this?” The mother then reassures the child and he comes to find out “Kindergarten is awesome!” This is how most children and parents react on the first day, so seeing it in a book may make children feel less nervous because they can see someone else go through their same emotions. I also really enjoyed that the illustrations in this book were so detailed to follow along with the story. When the child was excited and the mother was unsure, the child was drawn huge and colorful while the mom was drawn small with very few, dark colors. Then, when the child was feeling unsure and the mother was encouraging him, the child was small and colorless while the mother was big and colorful. This really helps readers to understand how each character is feeling. I believe the message in this book is to never doubt yourself or anyone else. ( )
  CaseyKlasmeyer | Sep 20, 2016 |

It's a child's first day of kindergarten, but who is worried about all the new people and the different things he'll meet--the child? No! The mother. In a refreshing reversal of roles, the child takes it upon himself to comfort and reassure his mother that everything will be fine, she'll get used to him going to big-kid school, and yes, he is ready for the first day of kindergarten. Utterly charming in its simplicity, Yum playfully uses size and color to reveal emotions of this milestone beginning.

Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten! is a Kirkus Reviews Best Children's Book of 2012

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:56 -0400)

A five-year-old boy, ready and eager on his first day at "the big kids' school," must calm his very worried mother.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,407,983 books! | Top bar: Always visible