Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten!…

Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten! (edition 2012)

by Hyewon Yum

Member:kbarnes
Title:Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten!
Authors:Hyewon Yum
Info:Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (2012), Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:Picture Books
Rating:*****
Tags:School, First Day

Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten! by Hyewon Yum

It's a boys first day in kindergarten and this book shows how excited he is but how anxious the mother is for his son's first day. The author portrays the emotions of this special milestone for both children and their parents.
  rleung | Aug 10, 2014 |
This book has great descriptive illustrations that represent the boy as being very confident when he is drawn as bigger than everything else, and very small when he is unsure of himself, and the same for his mom who begins the book very small with no color and eventually she feels better about her boy going to kindergarten and she grows larger with more color. The boy is beginning kindergarten and he is excited and then worried and then realizes he loves kindergarten. Cute story.
  vanessa.wallace | Jun 6, 2014 |
I loved this first day of kindergarten book. The mother in the story is reluctant and feeling very blue (literally) about the first day of school. It took me a minute to figure out that the mother was not a doll, but an emotional representation. I liked that other cultures were represented in the children at school and that in the end, the child really needed his mother more than she needed him. Would I read it on the first day of school to my kinder class and their parents? Not unless I wanted all the mothers in tears. ( )
  aconant | Jun 6, 2014 |
Great book, it talks about kid’s anticipation to go to school and parents worries. How sometimes as parents we may have a hard time letting go, it may not just be kids who get scared the first day of school. It shows that with both kids and parents supporting each other we can make it through those milestones.
  nicholew | May 31, 2014 |
This is a clever picture book. This is a case where a Mom is nervous for her son's first day of Kindergarten and he is actually excited. As they get to school she becomes more confident and he gets a little more nervous. The artwork is what pairs well with the words because it is based on what the character is feeling. The Mom starts out small and blue in color, but as she gains confidence she grows and becomes colorful. And the boy starts out big and colorful, but when he becomes nervous he gets small and blue. So it is clever and cute and a fun read.
  ediekm1990 | May 27, 2014 |

It's a child's first day of kindergarten, but who is worried about all the new people and the different things he'll meet--the child? No! The mother. In a refreshing reversal of roles, the child takes it upon himself to comfort and reassure his mother that everything will be fine, she'll get used to him going to big-kid school, and yes, he is ready for the first day of kindergarten. Utterly charming in its simplicity, Yum playfully uses size and color to reveal emotions of this milestone beginning.

Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten! is a Kirkus Reviews Best Children's Book of 2012

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:47 -0400)

A five-year-old boy, ready and eager on his first day at "the big kids' school," must calm his very worried mother.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,137,685 books! | Top bar: Always visible