Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten!…

Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten! (edition 2012)

by Hyewon Yum

97None123,773 (4.09)None
Member:kbarnes
Title:Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten!
Authors:Hyewon Yum
Info:Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (2012), Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:Picture Books
Rating:*****
Tags:School, First Day

Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten! by Hyewon Yum

A boy is very excited for his first day of Kindergarten, while his Mom is very worried.
  deannachambers | Mar 13, 2014 |
While there are words, I feel like the illustrations told most of the story. It was a very sweet story about a young boy's first day of kindergarten. However, the illustrations really captured the emotion of the day by using scale and color to describe how both the boy and his mother were feeling. In some portions of the book, the boy was illustrated bigger and in warm colors to show his excitement and confidence, while his mother was small and blue to show her nostalgia and sadness. In times when the boy was scared, his mother was illustrated bigger than him. because she knew that she needed to be brave.

I think this book would be a really great conversation starter/writing and art project for kids to learn to talk about their feelings and emotions. Was there a time when you felt blue or small? What about big and confident? What made you feel that way? Would also be sweet to read to Kindergartners on their first day of school. ( )
  aelmer | Mar 12, 2014 |
This is a very cute book I think that this should be read on the first day of kindergarten to the class. So many kids are nervous about going I think this would be a fun first activity of the day. It was a cute book with good illustration, I like how they make the character that is nervous blue.
  krbarton | Mar 11, 2014 |
This story gives a different perspective on the first day of Kindergarten. The main message of this story is to show readers that the new Kindergartener is not the only one that is timid and nervous for their first day of school. The roles have switched in the story. When the child is getting ready for their first day of school, his mother is much smaller than him in the illustrations and very worried. The young boy has to drag his mother to the classroom. I love this portrayal of imagery because the parents are just as nervous as their children for the first day of school. The mother in this story stayed small until it was her time to be brave. In the Kindergarten class the young boy was now the small one and the Mother grew to be larger. The symbolization is a great way to explain feelings and confidence. As the boy played and warmed up with other children in his classroom he grew back to his normal size, because his confidence was growing as the day went on. The Mother and son both faced times of difficulty but they got their courage up and helped the other out when the other was small. Everything in this book was very accurate to the first day jitters for any grade. I know I still get nervous, and feel small, on the first day of classes but after a few moments in that class my confidence grows and I feel back to myself again. ( )
  laurenbutcher | Feb 24, 2014 |
I really liked this book for several reasons. I felt that the author did a wonderful job encompassing the “first day of school” experience, for both the parent(s) and the child. The language used was both concise and clear. The dialogue between the mother and son were appropriate and relatable, because the reader might be able to imagine him or herself having similar conversations. Also, there were not any difficult or extremely challenging words that would hinder a young reader from reading this book. I loved how the characters were portrayed in this book, especially their illustrations. The characters were well developed and encompassed characteristics pertinent to both parents and children. The mother was shown worrying and demonstrated how anxious and nervous she was for her son to go to school. I felt like this was extremely applicable because parents always worry about their kids—no matter their age. The little boy went on a rollercoaster of feelings, which realistically depicted the different emotions a child may experience on their first day of school. The illustrations in this book were key, in terms of emphasizing the message. I feel that they connect very well with the words and emphasize the feelings. In the beginning of the story the mother was drawn much smaller then the boy, she almost looked as if she were his younger sister. Through the text, the reader can understand that she is the mother. She is colored with shades of blue, which elucidate the mother’s worry and anxiety. The boy is colored very vibrantly, in shades of yellow, representing his happiness and excitement. Interestingly, this was swapped upon arrival to the school. The mother is drawn appropriately sized and colorful, with hues of yellow; the boy appears smaller, but is colored in blue. The coloring encompasses each characters changing emotion throughout the book. The boy feels excited, nervous, and happy, all of which are expected on such a big day. The big idea of this book is to demonstrate the various emotions a child and parent(s) will experience, in relation to the first day of school. ( )
  sarabeck | Feb 11, 2014 |

It's a child's first day of kindergarten, but who is worried about all the new people and the different things he'll meet--the child? No! The mother. In a refreshing reversal of roles, the child takes it upon himself to comfort and reassure his mother that everything will be fine, she'll get used to him going to big-kid school, and yes, he is ready for the first day of kindergarten. Utterly charming in its simplicity, Yum playfully uses size and color to reveal emotions of this milestone beginning.

Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten! is a Kirkus Reviews Best Children's Book of 2012

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:47 -0400)

A five-year-old boy, ready and eager on his first day at "the big kids' school," must calm his very worried mother.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,464,296 books! | Top bar: Always visible