Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten!…

Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten! (edition 2012)

by Hyewon Yum

Member:kbarnes
Title:Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten!
Authors:Hyewon Yum
Info:Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (2012), Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:Picture Books
Rating:*****
Tags:School, First Day

Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten! by Hyewon Yum

Is a great story about mom being nervous about her child's first day of kindergarten. She is more worried than her child and he has to calm her down and tell her it will be okay. I love this role reverse because this is actually the case most of the time with the parent be more worried than child. So I think it will be fun for kids to read and understand the parents point of view on their kids growing up.
  mackenzie27 | Jun 7, 2015 |
Watch how this brave little boy gets ready for his first day of kindergarten! Before school starts, he must help his mom see that he is ready for kindergarten, and that she can be excited for him instead of worried.
  ThisIsNotSophie | Jun 1, 2015 |
In the beginning, mom appears small and gray, as she worries and wonders about her son's first day of school. Her son appears large, rosy, happy and optimistic, offering a solution to every problem his mom presents. As her son gets her to school, another mom reaches out, and she begins to "grow" and become more colorful.
  mlbailey77 | Apr 17, 2015 |
The little boy is very excited to go to school but his mom does not meet his enthusiasm. She wants to make sure he has everything and even when he says he does, she still looks nervous. The child reassures his mother that everything will be fine and that he is really ready for school!
  Melody.Ryan | Mar 16, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this picture book. My favorite part of the book was the illustrations because they added so much to the story. For example, in the beginning of the story when the mother was worried and nervous about her son's first day of kindergarten, she was drawn blue and much smaller than the child. However, as the child begins to feel nervous and uneasy and the mom gains confidence, she is drawn much larger than the child. I love the way that the thoughtful illustrations enhance the meaning of the story and make it so much more interesting. The reversal of roles throughout the story is very interesting as well. The content of the story is also very relatable and is easy for children and parents to relate to.

The big idea of this story could be that parents and children can be nervous before a big change, but they get through it together! ( )
  CarrieHardesty | Feb 15, 2015 |

It's a child's first day of kindergarten, but who is worried about all the new people and the different things he'll meet--the child? No! The mother. In a refreshing reversal of roles, the child takes it upon himself to comfort and reassure his mother that everything will be fine, she'll get used to him going to big-kid school, and yes, he is ready for the first day of kindergarten. Utterly charming in its simplicity, Yum playfully uses size and color to reveal emotions of this milestone beginning.

Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten! is a Kirkus Reviews Best Children's Book of 2012

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:56 -0400)

A five-year-old boy, ready and eager on his first day at "the big kids' school," must calm his very worried mother.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,909,753 books! | Top bar: Always visible