Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten!…

Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten! (edition 2012)

by Hyewon Yum

Title:Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten!
Authors:Hyewon Yum
Info:Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (2012), Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:Picture Books
Tags:School, First Day

Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten! by Hyewon Yum

I really enjoyed this book; I thought it was a great book. I liked it for its illustrations and how relatable it is for a parent or a student. It shows the feelings children and their parents experience on the child’s first day of school very accurately. In the beginning, the child is extremely excited to go to school, he keeps reassuring his mom “Don’t worry! We can run”. However, when they get to school, the child starts to feel nervous while stating to his mom, “Maybe I’m not ready for this?” The mother then reassures the child and he comes to find out “Kindergarten is awesome!” They are both sharing the same emotions at different points in the book, but reassure each other saying that it’ll be okay. I also loved the illustrations in this book. They were so detailed and showed the true emotions the mother and child was experiencing. When the child was excited, he was drawn larger than his mother with bright colors. Meanwhile, his mom was drawn small in dark colors, showing her sadness and nervousness in letting go of her son. However, when the child was feeling unsure about school, he was smaller than his mother and colorless while she was big and filled with color colorful. The message presented is anyone can be brave to try something new. ( )
  charlotteduncan | Oct 4, 2016 |
Mom, it’s my First Day of Kindergarten is a great book. I really enjoy it for the relatability and the illustrations. I believe this would be a great book to read for children just about to go to Kindergarten or school for the first time. It really depicts how children and adults act about the child’s first day, very accurately. At first, the child is so excited to go to school, even reassuring the mom “Don’t worry! We can run” just so they will be on time. Although, when they do arrive, the child starts to feel nervous and even admits “Maybe I’m not ready for this?” The mother then reassures the child and he comes to find out “Kindergarten is awesome!” This is how most children and parents react on the first day, so seeing it in a book may make children feel less nervous because they can see someone else go through their same emotions. I also really enjoyed that the illustrations in this book were so detailed to follow along with the story. When the child was excited and the mother was unsure, the child was drawn huge and colorful while the mom was drawn small with very few, dark colors. Then, when the child was feeling unsure and the mother was encouraging him, the child was small and colorless while the mother was big and colorful. This really helps readers to understand how each character is feeling. I believe the message in this book is to never doubt yourself or anyone else. ( )
  CaseyKlasmeyer | Sep 20, 2016 |
Story of a boy heading off to kindergarten, it shows how the mom is nervous and the boy supports her, then it shows the boy being nervous and the mom supporting him, then switches again. ( )
  SatinaJensen | Aug 11, 2016 |
This picture book tells the story of a mother and son both being nervous about different aspects of the first day of kindergarten. The illustrator uses color and size of the character to convey the emotions of nervousness. The book does a great job of showing that the first day of kindergarten is nerve wracking for parent and child alike.
The way the author uses color and relative size is very powerful in this book. The size of the character relates to how they are feeling on each page.
  SteveKorin | Jul 13, 2016 |
The them of this book is the first day of school, and the worries that come with it! I think this book is great to read on the first day of school because it allows teachers to acknowledge worries that students may be feeling and providing a response to unasked questions. The pictures in the book are really unique and almost like a child did them, I loved that touch to the book.
  michelleripley | Mar 12, 2016 |

It's a child's first day of kindergarten, but who is worried about all the new people and the different things he'll meet--the child? No! The mother. In a refreshing reversal of roles, the child takes it upon himself to comfort and reassure his mother that everything will be fine, she'll get used to him going to big-kid school, and yes, he is ready for the first day of kindergarten. Utterly charming in its simplicity, Yum playfully uses size and color to reveal emotions of this milestone beginning.
Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten! is a Kirkus Reviews Best Children's Book of 2012

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:56 -0400)

A five-year-old boy, ready and eager on his first day at "the big kids' school," must calm his very worried mother.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,814,613 books! | Top bar: Always visible