Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten!…

Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten! (edition 2012)

by Hyewon Yum

Member:kbarnes
Title:Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten!
Authors:Hyewon Yum
Info:Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (2012), Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:Picture Books
Rating:*****
Tags:School, First Day

Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten! by Hyewon Yum

I enjoyed this book because it used the illustration to convey meaning and created believable characters. The first thing you notice about the pages of this book is the use of color. There is a large use of the colors blue and red to symbolize feeling scared and excited. For example, when the young boy was excited and ready for his first day he was the largest aspect of the illustration as well as his skin was tinted red, while his mother who was nervous that all of this supplies were packed was extremely small in comparison to the young boy and tinted a deep blue. This use of color helped to guide a reader’s emotions as they read the story and helped to easily convey the author’s main message. On top of the creative illustration, the author managed to create realistic characters such as the nervous mother and the rambunctious kindergartner. By flipping the basic roles of a nervous student and confident parent the author makes the characters much more believable. Both of these aspects helped to creative an engaging and exciting story for any child. The author was also able to easily communicate their main message, that everyone gets nervous and needs reassurance. That it is not only the child who needs a confidence boast, sometimes they may need to help assure their parent. ( )
  ShelbyBurton | Sep 15, 2014 |
I enjoyed this story for many different reasons. The story helps the reader to realize the different viewpoints and emotions that go into the first day of kindergarten. In the book we read about how a child is extremely excited to go to his first day. As the story progresses we learn how his confidence goes down when he gets to the school but is instantly reinstated with a little encouragement from his mother. The words are important to this story, but the most significant attribute is the illustrations. Without the pictures, the story only seems to be about the young boy. However, the illustrations allow us to see the other side of the story. The pictures show us how the mother is extremely nervous about her sons first day. She starts off tiny and blue demonstrating her emotions. As the book progresses and the boy gets nervous, tiny and blue, the mom becomes full sized and colored. Without the illustrations, the words only tell half the story.
  bfried10 | Sep 9, 2014 |
This book tells a story that describes how both the child and parent must help each other overcome the obstacles and emotions of the first day of school. This book specifically presented the message of how parents also get nervous for their children when they start school and also need reassurance. I enjoyed this book because of two reasons. First, I think the writer’s use of first person point of view made the story more personal and enjoyable to read. The story is narrated by the son, whose dialog with his mother adds a deeper understanding of the emotions being felt by both of them throughout the story. For example, in one scene, the reader can feel the worry behind the mother’s words to her son, “Will you be okay in the big kids’ school? You’re so little.” Also, the little boy reassures his nervous mom by telling her “Mom, don’t worry. I’ll be fine, I’m already five!” This conveys to the reader the confidence the little boy has, through his narration. The second reason I enjoyed this book was its utilization of illustrations to help get across a specific idea or emotion. The illustrations depicted the mother as being very small and dark/colorless while she was feeling worried or scared and showed a big and bright illustration of the son because he was feeling excited and confident. One part specifically was an illustration of a very tiny, grey-colored mother being dragged by hand by her son who was drawn colorfully and taking up an entire page. This specific image showed the reader how each character was feeling on the inside based upon the illustration of them. ( )
  StephanieGrim | Sep 3, 2014 |
It's a boys first day in kindergarten and this book shows how excited he is but how anxious the mother is for his son's first day. The author portrays the emotions of this special milestone for both children and their parents.
  rleung | Aug 10, 2014 |
This book has great descriptive illustrations that represent the boy as being very confident when he is drawn as bigger than everything else, and very small when he is unsure of himself, and the same for his mom who begins the book very small with no color and eventually she feels better about her boy going to kindergarten and she grows larger with more color. The boy is beginning kindergarten and he is excited and then worried and then realizes he loves kindergarten. Cute story.
  vanessa.wallace | Jun 6, 2014 |

It's a child's first day of kindergarten, but who is worried about all the new people and the different things he'll meet--the child? No! The mother. In a refreshing reversal of roles, the child takes it upon himself to comfort and reassure his mother that everything will be fine, she'll get used to him going to big-kid school, and yes, he is ready for the first day of kindergarten. Utterly charming in its simplicity, Yum playfully uses size and color to reveal emotions of this milestone beginning.

Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten! is a Kirkus Reviews Best Children's Book of 2012

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:47 -0400)

A five-year-old boy, ready and eager on his first day at "the big kids' school," must calm his very worried mother.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,723,751 books! | Top bar: Always visible