Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten!…

Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten! (edition 2012)

by Hyewon Yum

Member:kbarnes
Title:Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten!
Authors:Hyewon Yum
Info:Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (2012), Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:Picture Books
Rating:*****
Tags:School, First Day

Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten! by Hyewon Yum

Join the young kindergartner as he gets ready and heads off to his first day of school, feel the excitement and joy and view the fears of a parent.
  auntiepants88 | Oct 27, 2014 |
In my opinion, this book was really enjoyable for many reasons. One of my favorite parts

of the book was the use of illustrations. The way the illustrator showed emotion affected how the

reader understood how the characters were feeling. When the mother was nervous for her son,

she was shown as small and blue. Towards the end of the book the son was shown as small and

blue in order to display that he wasn’t nervous throughout the book until he got to his classroom.

Another reason is how the story is very believable and real. Parents do get very anxious for their

kids, but when the child gets scared, that parent knows to step up and show that it’s going to be

okay. The overall message of this book was to display the relationship between parents and their

children and to learn to “let go.” ( )
  JamiNebenzahl | Sep 22, 2014 |
I truly enjoyed the book Mom, it’s My First Day of Kindergarten written by Hyewon Yum for numerous reasons. First, the utilization of illustrations engaged the reader by allowing him/her to understand the feelings portrayed by the characters through the use of colors and size. For example, in the beginning of the book the mother shows feelings of apprehension and anxiety, the illustrations display her in hues of blues and very small in proportion to the son. The boy however, is excited and thrilled to be going to school, the illustrations display him in bright yellows and reds and very gigantic in size, dragging his mother behind him to school. Secondly, the author uses a first person point of view making the story feel more personal. For example, “Will you be okay in the big kids’ school? You’re so little.” Says the mom. The boy simply replies “Mom, don’t worry. I’ll be fine, I’m already five!” This permitted me; as the reader; to reminiscence over a similar experience when I was a child. This moment in the story would also evoke the feelings that parents had when they first sent their own son/daughter off to school for the first time. Towards the conclusion of the book the child becomes nervous and scared, being represented in colors of blue, whereas the mother becomes vibrant, represented by the colors of red and yellow, reassuring and comforting her son telling him that he will have a great first day. This book demonstrates the countless number of emotions a child and parent will experience, in relation to the roller coaster of feelings brought on by the first day of school. I would personally read this book to my future students to show them that while the first day of school can be a scary thought you always have people in your life to help you through these fears. ( )
  BriannaLee | Sep 20, 2014 |
I liked this book for many reasons. First, this children’s book has very strong illustrations. These illustrations enhance the story and bring emotion to the text. In the story, the mother is extremely nervous for her son to go to Kindergarten, however the boy is excited and reassures his mother that he will be okay. The illustrator drew the mother very small and blue to resemble her anxiousness while the boy is big and red because of his bravery. Another feature that I liked is the character portrayal. The mother and son in this story are very believable and realistic. The dialogue throughout the story helps develop the characters. It is clear that the mother is uneasy about her son going to school when she says “Oh dear look at the time, you’ll be late for school” and her son replies with encouragement “Don’t worry mom. We can run!”
The main message of this story is to enlighten readers that sometimes children are not the only ones who are nervous to begin school. Parents also have a hard time letting go of their children and this story represents these emotions very effectively. ( )
  carolinetownsend | Sep 15, 2014 |
I really liked this book and thought it was an adorable twist on the first day of school. In this book the little boy is excited to go to school and the mom is scared and nervous. I like this book because even though the mom is scared, it gives a positive out look on the first day of school and can make children excited. It kind of reminds me of reverse psychology. The language and writing in the book is clear, organized, and paced well. The characters are believable and realistic. I really enjoyed the plot of the story. The boy starts off excited and the mom is nervous, then the boy gets nervous, and then they both end up happy and positive. I believe the illustrations are successful and contribute to the story in a positive way. Whenever the character is nervous or scared they are a shade of blue and whenever a character is excited and confident they are full of bright colors. This helps the reader understand the story better. "Did I pack all your school supplies? What if I forgot something? She worries and worries." "Mom, I have my crayons and markers and everything. I'm all set!" This is an example in the book when the mom is worried and the little boy is excited. I believe this book is adorable and can help a student feel confident for the first day of school. ( )
  smeyer8 | Sep 15, 2014 |

It's a child's first day of kindergarten, but who is worried about all the new people and the different things he'll meet--the child? No! The mother. In a refreshing reversal of roles, the child takes it upon himself to comfort and reassure his mother that everything will be fine, she'll get used to him going to big-kid school, and yes, he is ready for the first day of kindergarten. Utterly charming in its simplicity, Yum playfully uses size and color to reveal emotions of this milestone beginning.

Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten! is a Kirkus Reviews Best Children's Book of 2012

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:47 -0400)

A five-year-old boy, ready and eager on his first day at "the big kids' school," must calm his very worried mother.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,366,763 books! | Top bar: Always visible