Horten's Miraculous Mechanisms: Magic,…

Horten's Miraculous Mechanisms: Magic, Mystery & A Very Strange Adventure (2012)

by Lissa Evans

Series: Horten's (1)

As if being small and having S. Horten as his name isn't bad enough, now 10-year-old Stuart is forced to move far away from all his friends. But on his very first day in his new home, Stuart's swept up in an extraordinary adventure: the quest to find his great-uncle Tony--a famous magician who literally disappeared off the face of the earth--and Tony's marvelous, long-lost workshop.… (more)

Horten’s Miraculous Mechanisms
This book is about a boy who’s great uncle was a very good magician and disappeared when he was looking for his wife who had disappeared in a fire. Horten does not find him and lets another person wish to see him in a magic well. ( )
  fesstudent | Dec 19, 2018 |
I loved this book, and read it aloud over several weeks with my kids, aged 10 and 7. Stuart is a real character, and his adventures kept us all entertained. We were thrilled to see that another book will be forthcoming! ( )
  LMJenkins | Nov 28, 2018 |
Fun mystery for middle grade readers ( )
  lizzieross | Aug 18, 2016 |
Quirky characters, illustrations by the talented Edward Gorey and a vocabulary that will challenge curious middle readers create a fast paced, attention holding mystery. Stuart Horten is ten, small and relocating over summer vacation. His uncertainty grows when he sees the state the families new boring house in the dilapidated town of Beeton. He soon learns that he has family history in Beeton. The town was the former home of his uncle who disappeared under strange circumstances. Stuart finds a cryptic note about his birthright, and resolves to figure out what it means. This lightly adventurous modern story reflects on happenings in Britain around the time of WWII. Odd clues and a little magic inject intrigue to what might be a predictable genre in the hands of high level readers who feel forever trapped in the children’s section. This is the book for the child who tore through Snicket's “Series of unfortunate events” (HC) and does not know what to read next.
  bdemontigny | Feb 26, 2014 |
I was not a reader until adulthood. I suppose that is at least part of why I am very drawn to juvenile fiction. This book would be perfect for 8-11year olds.

I really enjoyed this book. The interesting title is what first grabbed my attention in the bookstore, and the dust-cover was also intriguing. Its setting in England was also a draw, of course. S.Horten is a smart boy. When he and his parents move house he finds himself living next door to triplet girls. The mystery is intriguing and fun. I am eager to read more of the books in this series. ( )
  BoundTogetherForGood | Aug 15, 2013 |
For my girls
Stuart Horten was small for his age--the smallest boy in his grade at school--and both his parents were very tall, which meant that when he stood next to them he looked about the size of an ant.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Lissa Evans's book Horten's Miraculous Mechanisms was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,808,925 books! | Top bar: Always visible