The Coldest Winter Ever by Sister Souljah

The Coldest Winter Ever

by Sister Souljah

(Up'd the rating because when I look back on how much I loved the book back then....I would still give it a 5 Star rating for how I felt then. Would I ever re-read it? I don't know. Would I love it now? I guess I may never know! LOL) ( )
  RamblingBookNerd | Jun 5, 2019 |
This was an amazing book! I fully did not expect to be as utterly riveted as I was by this story. The protagonist is as unreliable as any narrator, but not because she doesn't tell the truth. There were some issues with this. Sister Souljah did a bit too much self-promotion, I think, and that felt weird. I also didn't like that too-good-for-the-main-character love interest was also too-good-to-be-true. Since the publication of this book, I think the world that Sister Souljah evokes has been depicted in hundreds of iterations throughout mainstream pop culture. The way she wrote about it, though, was revelatory and even still feels that way so many years later. Great storytelling and I think the tone rang pitch-perfect to the author's intent. I really enjoyed reading this unique modern classic, in spite of whatever may be its flaws. ( )
  saresmoore | Jun 19, 2018 |
Gripping from the get go, The Coldest Winter Ever, tells the story of a spoiled, materialistic young women who cares more about fashion, money, and good dick, then she does anything else. Her father is a big time drug dealer and everyone in her Brooklyn neighborhood respects her family and Winter can't wait to grow up to be a bad bitch like her momma. She rolls tight with her crew of fellow delinquents (school? who gives a crap about that?) and they love shopping and sucking their teeth at all the hot young men around. Things start to shift though when her father moves the family out to Long Island to get away from the scene for a while. Things slowly start to spiral out of her control. Just how far will Winter go to prove that she's the baddest bitch around? The answer is... pretty damn far! She has no qualms about shoplifting, carrying a boxcutter for protection, and sucking dick to get what she wants. She's got hustle and she wants you to know it. Winter is the most unlikable heroine who you still end up rooting for. A stunning book that makes you sit back and think when you get to the end. ( )
  ecataldi | Feb 24, 2018 |
Winter Santiaga has it made: she's rich, practically queen of Brooklyn, while her drug lord father runs a successful business. But then her family moves out Long Island, her father is arrested, and things begin going downhill from there.

This is my first introduction to urban or street fiction, and considered to be a classic of the genre. Winter is a tough young woman, and while she didn't grow up in poverty she's used to the violence and drugs on the street. Brooklyn is her home, and she's a strong character with her own goals.Sister Souljah herself is a character in the book, introduced right away with Winter complaining that she can't stand Souljah, which I found a really intriguing choice. I wasn't sure what to expect, and I found myself both rooting for and angry with Winter as a character and with some of the choices she makes, yet understanding why she feels this is the "right" thing to do all at the same time. There is violence and sex, and though I'm not one who could talk about the authenticity of the culture, it certainly felt authentic. ( )
  bell7 | Sep 6, 2016 |
Every teenage girl should read this book especially in our day and age... At first I was intimidated by the author's name thinking that this book was aimed at the black community but now after I've read it (and meet the author herself when she came to my city) I say READ IT! I am currently reading another book by her titled Midnight. ( )
  Beatriz_V_F | Feb 27, 2016 |
Brooklyn-born I don't have no sob stories for you about rats and roaches and pissy-pew hallways.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671025368, Mass Market Paperback)

Renowned hip-hop artist, writer, and activist Sister Souljah brings the streets of New York to life in a powerful and utterly unforgettable first novel.

I came busting into the world during one of New York's worst snowstorms, so my mother named me Winter.

Ghetto-born, Winter is the young, wealthy daughter of a prominent Brooklyn drug-dealing family. Quick-witted, sexy, and business-minded, she knows and loves the streets like the curves of her own body. But when a cold Winter wind blows her life in a direction she doesn't want to go, her street smarts and seductive skills are put to the test of a lifetime. Unwilling to lose, this ghetto girl will do anything to stay on top.

The Coldest Winter Ever marks the debut of a gifted storyteller. You will never forget this Winter's tale.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:38 -0400)

After a black drug dealer goes to jail in Brooklyn, his ruthless 17-year-old daughter takes over his empire. A look at the mores and manners of the black underclass, this one with money. First novel by a hip-hop artist, author of No Disrespect.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,569,266 books! | Top bar: Always visible