The Coldest Winter Ever by Sister Souljah

The Coldest Winter Ever (edition 2006)

by Sister Souljah

Title:The Coldest Winter Ever
Authors:Sister Souljah
Info:Pocket Star (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 544 pages
Tags:SLIS J757, African American, African American Fiction, African American women, Brooklyn, coming of age, crime, drugs, girls jail, teen, urban, urban fiction, urban lit, women, ya, Souljah

The Coldest Winter Ever by Sister Souljah

The Coldest Winter Ever is narrated by the character Winter, daughter of a New York drug lord. Winter is coarse and promiscuous, self-absorbed and determined to have bigger and better everything than her friends. Winter is not a believable character. Her mother is shot in the face and after 30 minutes of hand-wringing, she goes shopping for designer clothes and feels better. Really? Her father wants her to marry a doctor or lawyer, but it doesn't seem to occur to anyone that she ought to go to school or at least learn to speak properly if this is a goal. She lives in a high class neighborhood and eats in exclusive restaurants, yet the moment she opens her mouth she sounds like she comes straight from the gutter. Could this happen? Hard to imagine. The plot follows Winter's adventures and exploits and by the end of the book she is in jail, with absolutely no character development having occurred. The last 100 pages or so of the book the author discusses the story and does an analysis of each of the characters. Frankly, I couldn't be bothered reading it. If you have to spend pages explaining your characters after the book is over, then you haven't done a decent job writing in the first place. ( )
  JGoto | Oct 1, 2015 |
Books based on African-American characters are so underrated, this is an amazing book. Winter is a spoiled, rich young girl who is use to getting everything - clearly because her father is this big shot drug lord. Her life takes a drastic turn when she doesn't have the luxuries anymore, I thought she was really dumb, but I loved how blunt she is. I hate mean characters, but she's an amazing one. You can't help but read her story. ( )
  benishkhanx | Nov 4, 2014 |
  ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |
  PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |
  PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |
Brooklyn-born I don't have no sob stories for you about rats and roaches and pissy-pew hallways.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671025368, Mass Market Paperback)

Renowned hip-hop artist, writer, and activist Sister Souljah brings the streets of New York to life in a powerful and utterly unforgettable first novel.

I came busting into the world during one of New York's worst snowstorms, so my mother named me Winter.

Ghetto-born, Winter is the young, wealthy daughter of a prominent Brooklyn drug-dealing family. Quick-witted, sexy, and business-minded, she knows and loves the streets like the curves of her own body. But when a cold Winter wind blows her life in a direction she doesn't want to go, her street smarts and seductive skills are put to the test of a lifetime. Unwilling to lose, this ghetto girl will do anything to stay on top.

The Coldest Winter Ever marks the debut of a gifted storyteller. You will never forget this Winter's tale.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:38 -0400)

After a black drug dealer goes to jail in Brooklyn, his ruthless 17-year-old daughter takes over his empire. A look at the mores and manners of the black underclass, this one with money. First novel by a hip-hop artist, author of No Disrespect.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,761,703 books! | Top bar: Always visible