Onyx (A Lux Novel) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Onyx (A Lux Novel) (edition 2012)

by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Info:Entangled Teen (2012), Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Paranormal, Romance, Aliens, Young Adult

Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Shadows by Jennifer L. Armentrout (Ammora)
    Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout (Ammora)
    Gravity by Melissa West (Lpaddycake)
    Lpaddycake: Here is another series following the development of a young couple and finding out one is an alien and they must rely on each other to save Earth and their way of life.

English (62)  Italian (2)  All languages (64)
Hmmm...

Okay, I can see why these books get a lot of attention from those who read young adult books. It's basically a somewhat better written version of Twilight with aliens. And I have the same problems with this series as I did with the Twilight series.

I just cannot force myself to like the character of Daemon. I know that other readers view him as a "bad boy" type, which many find attractive, but I simply can't get past his controlling nature. He tells Katy what to do, where to be, and who to hang out with throughout the book, and all for "her own good." Yes, he does have his reasons, but that's simply not okay to do in my book. And some of his reasons are downright selfish; when Katy goes out on a date with someone else, Daemon shows up and makes an ass of himself. In a few instances, he actually threatens the other guy with bodily harm, or possibly death, because he's hanging out with Katy. What. That is not okay. And then, of course, the other guy turns out to be a baddie, so Daemon is cast in a better light for his serious anger issues, because it was all for Katy's safety!!!1!!one!!!! Gag.

Katy, fortunately, doesn't listen to Daemon and kind of pushes him away because of it, even though she still angsts about him and their doomed love that must still be. But what I really hated was, in the end, Daemon was right about everything and Katy, for asserting her independence from him, was wrong about everything. And she felt guilty about that. Look, she didn't kill anyone, and she had no way of really knowing, with the evidence she had, that things would happen as they did. Yes, my own sensors about Blake were going off, but I'm a reader, not a character. I can't fault Katy for the choices that she made in the book, and I'd like to hear some rational arguments from anyone who does. I can understand the "survivor's guilt" that Katy felt because of what happened, but it wasn't like she was responsible. And I hated that she felt that way.

I personally find this series more interesting than Twilight, but I just don't like the "Daemon knows best so do what he says even though he's super controlling" aspect (which is the biggest problem I had with Edward, as well). At least Katy isn't too dumb to live, for the most part (she has her moments). I do like the character of Katy when she does assert herself; I just wish that she didn't get a figurative slap to the face so frequently when she does in any big way. ( )
  schatzi | Sep 1, 2014 |
Daemon. Could you please be with me also when I'm giving thoughts about book? That is seriously so cute.

Moving on. Wow. Just wow. Katy's developing super galactic powers and suddenly she's being hunted and of course, my Daemon, oops Daemon is protecting her. and there goes everything. I'm so not good in writing reviews but really, this book is awesomesauce!

JLA is officially my favorite author right now! ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |

JLA is officially my favorite author right now! ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
3.5 ( )
  AshleyLynnWillis | Aug 1, 2014 |
Of course, once you read the first book, you have to continue and read the second just to find out what happens. This gets a little steamier, and I think it would be best to pass the series along to my high school. ( )
  JRlibrary | Jul 9, 2014 |

Being connected to Daemon Black sucks...Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon's determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I've sworn him off, even though he's running more hot than cold these days. But we've got bigger problems.Something worse than the Arum has come to town...The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I'm a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who's got a secret of his own. He knows what's happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him...… (more)

32 wanted5 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,769,518 books! | Top bar: Always visible