Onyx (A Lux Novel) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Onyx (A Lux Novel) (edition 2012)

by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Info:Entangled Teen (2012), Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Tags:Alien, Daemon, 2nd, Blake

Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Recently added bysjerrolds, otikhonova, Mugglstuff, private library, murphyrules, krasasy
    Shadows by Jennifer L. Armentrout (Ammora)
    Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout (Ammora)
    Gravity by Melissa West (Lpaddycake)
    Lpaddycake: Here is another series following the development of a young couple and finding out one is an alien and they must rely on each other to save Earth and their way of life.

English (62)  Italian (2)  All languages (64)
In "Onyx", the second book in the Lux Series, Katy and Daemon have to face higher powers that are having none of their crazy alien stuff. They also break a lot of stuff. And people.

Having established all character relationships in the first book "Obsidian", the plot is going crazy in "Onyx". Turns out that aliens are a bigger deal than everybody thought and this novel will chase you with plot twists. The problem I usually have with plot twists is that they are in most cases so random and impossible to predict that you just sit there and ask yourself where your life went wrong. Or the author's for that matter. But Armentrout doesn't give you half-assed wannabe-plot-twists, she connects the dots perfectly. Some of the things I could have guessed but I didn't think she would actually go through with it. This novel is a rollercoaster of emotions, one second you're going to find yourself laughing hysterically, the other second you're crying happy tears like it's nobody's business. This is awesome, this is what I'm looking for in literature, this is exactly the escape that all readers want.

Coming back to the title - what's up with breaking all that stuff??
Every other chapter somebody smashes a window, a tree or even a person. Not always fatally, but come on. How does this go unnoticed? How aren't the adults suspicious when Katy for example manages to smash their entire living room or every window ever of a random person's house?? Slight plot holes here. I don't think my mom would buy "well, we had a storm" if there was no sign of anything going on, or anything being reported in the news, but somehow there was a fricking uprooted tree in the backyard. Also, what's up with uprooting trees? Since the first book Daemon at least did that three times. How can he even do that by the way? Wasn't it just due to the fact that he's a light-related alien that he could mess with time and light? Now also trees? Or is it because it's made out of atoms and atoms travel by light? Plothole, lady. She has to keep an eye on her alien race not becoming a bunch of Mary Sues. Not to mention the numerous times branches that fell down and almost killed people. Are trees evil? Are they up to something? Maybe they're aliens. It's always aliens.

It's the end that hit me like a train and I loved how everything came together and made sense. It wasn't rushed, it was planned and it was very interesting to see the resolutions of some story lines. The beginning was a bit slow and bored me, which is why I can't give 5/5. (Plot 3/5)

However I have to note that the middle was somewhat slow, too, because Armentrout decided to introduce Blake, another character that gets rather close to Katy and Daemon. He was a mystery until the end to me but I liked him. I genuinely loved how sweet he is to Katy and how Daemon and him bicker like an old married couple. His role in the novel was just planned extremely well and I loved his storyline. With the introduction of Blake we obviously have the mandatory somewhat-love-triangle going on for a few pages, but I'm very proud that Armentrout doesn't go through with it. If there's something in YA that bothers me to no end, it's love triangles. Everybody hates them, they're annoying and frankly, usually aren't actually triangles. More like parallel asymptotes or something. I'm not good with math, let's stop there with the bad analogies.

Besides Blake, Armentrout only introduces one other side character that actually matters and I'm very grateful for that. Though I have to note that I am annoyed and upset that Dee, Daemon's sister, AGAIN was barely in the novel. She's my favourite character in the series, no contest, but she remains a sidekick, only appearing to stick out her tongue whenever Daemon and Katy do it freaky-deaky style. No, they actually don't do it like that but I really wanted to say that sentence.
I'm disappointed in the lack of Dee in this novel and again I have to critize the fact hat Katy doesn't spend time with anyone besides Blake and Daemon. Her friends Carissa and Lesa, if these are even their names, are still cardboard cutouts.

It's okay to have some raw characters in the first installment of a series, but by the second novel you should have recurring characters down, lady. Also, we have this not-having-a-life thing going on again that I already critized in fellow YA novel "Starcrossed". Just because your life is exciting and new and full of shiny aliens now, you still have to do normal stuff. Picking a protagonist that is new in town is a very easy excuse to neglect the fact that normal people have lives. Yeah, Katy has her book blog. But does she ever talk to her mum? Any other family members? Do stuff with friends? Even Dee is ignored and she is supposed to be her best friend, God knows why. Ugh. Please get it together, YA authors.

Daemon is a needy bastard in "Onyx". His constant emotion seems to vary between "I Know You Want It" and "TELL ME YOU WANT ME ATTENTION ATTENTION PLEASE EVERYONE LOOK AT ME". The snark and sass from the first novel is just background white noise, but I guess this is what happens to boys when they fall in love. I forgive him because I still love the man. I hope he gets it together in "Opal". (Characters 4/5)

The writing in this one is okay again, the middle was dragged like I said. Another thing - man, Armentrout can't write action scenes. Or character placements in a room. One second they're on top of each other, the other second their limbs are all over the place. I'm having a hard time visualizing the exact positions of characters because she really messes up sometimes. This shows again in action scenes. I get it, it's difficult to write that kind of stuff if you're used to doing only YA or Romance, but come on. Her action scenes are messy. Sometimes I just scanned the paragraphs because I couldn't, for the hell of it, understand who was standing where and who killed whom with what. I still haven't fully understood the thing Katy did to that Arum in the last scenes of "Obsidian". (Writing 2/5)

Overall: Do I recommend?

Obviously, if you have read "Obsidian" you have to read "Onyx". The first doesn't work as a standalone and this resolves a lot of issues that you're probably eager to see add to the story. To me it is somewhat of a transition novel though and I'm looking forward to "Opal" being the real deal again. I'd recommend.

Rating: ★★★☆☆
- See more at: http://thebookavid.blogspot.de ( )
  bookavid | Oct 16, 2014 |
Hmmm...

Okay, I can see why these books get a lot of attention from those who read young adult books. It's basically a somewhat better written version of Twilight with aliens. And I have the same problems with this series as I did with the Twilight series.

I just cannot force myself to like the character of Daemon. I know that other readers view him as a "bad boy" type, which many find attractive, but I simply can't get past his controlling nature. He tells Katy what to do, where to be, and who to hang out with throughout the book, and all for "her own good." Yes, he does have his reasons, but that's simply not okay to do in my book. And some of his reasons are downright selfish; when Katy goes out on a date with someone else, Daemon shows up and makes an ass of himself. In a few instances, he actually threatens the other guy with bodily harm, or possibly death, because he's hanging out with Katy. What. That is not okay. And then, of course, the other guy turns out to be a baddie, so Daemon is cast in a better light for his serious anger issues, because it was all for Katy's safety!!!1!!one!!!! Gag.

Katy, fortunately, doesn't listen to Daemon and kind of pushes him away because of it, even though she still angsts about him and their doomed love that must still be. But what I really hated was, in the end, Daemon was right about everything and Katy, for asserting her independence from him, was wrong about everything. And she felt guilty about that. Look, she didn't kill anyone, and she had no way of really knowing, with the evidence she had, that things would happen as they did. Yes, my own sensors about Blake were going off, but I'm a reader, not a character. I can't fault Katy for the choices that she made in the book, and I'd like to hear some rational arguments from anyone who does. I can understand the "survivor's guilt" that Katy felt because of what happened, but it wasn't like she was responsible. And I hated that she felt that way.

I personally find this series more interesting than Twilight, but I just don't like the "Daemon knows best so do what he says even though he's super controlling" aspect (which is the biggest problem I had with Edward, as well). At least Katy isn't too dumb to live, for the most part (she has her moments). I do like the character of Katy when she does assert herself; I just wish that she didn't get a figurative slap to the face so frequently when she does in any big way. ( )
  schatzi | Sep 1, 2014 |
Daemon. Could you please be with me also when I'm giving thoughts about book? That is seriously so cute.

Moving on. Wow. Just wow. Katy's developing super galactic powers and suddenly she's being hunted and of course, my Daemon, oops Daemon is protecting her. and there goes everything. I'm so not good in writing reviews but really, this book is awesomesauce!

JLA is officially my favorite author right now! ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |

JLA is officially my favorite author right now! ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
3.5 ( )
  AshleyLynnWillis | Aug 1, 2014 |

Jennifer L. Armentroutprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Reggiani, SaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Being connected to Daemon Black sucks...Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon's determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I've sworn him off, even though he's running more hot than cold these days. But we've got bigger problems.Something worse than the Arum has come to town...The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I'm a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who's got a secret of his own. He knows what's happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him...… (more)

32 wanted5 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,353,077 books! | Top bar: Always visible