Monsoon Summer by Mitali Perkins

Monsoon Summer

by Mitali Perkins

Let it Snow: Three Holiday Romances by John Green (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Sweet, lighthearted, intelligent romance stories in intriguing settings. Fun reading for your free time in summer or winter.
    Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock (missmaddie)
    The Luxe by Anna Godbersen (missmaddie)

American teenage girl goes with her family to an Indian orphanage and Finds Herself (much but not entirely mitigated by the fact that her mother was adopted by a white family out of this orphanage) with a side of "I'm in love with my best friend but I'm Classically Not Beautiful so he couldn't possibly love me back despite spending all his free time with me at home, clearly feeling hurt when I don't phone/write from overseas, and (a little detail just slipped in there) keeping a photo of me in his wallet".

Perfectly readable but honestly I would have been a lot more interested if it had focused a lot more on either her business at home or the business she helps her friend set up in India. ( )
  zeborah | Aug 24, 2014 |
If we'd all look past the end of our noses, we'll see that we are all gifted to be a blessing to someone... somewhere, even if it is half way across the world. And to borrow a line from the story: "I may not impact lives on (a grand) scale... but I (can do) something that makes a difference."
  MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |
Charming and insightful story about Jasmine's summer in India. There's a lot here about body image, identity, acceptance and love all wrapped in a sweet little story. I enjoyed the father's story here especially- we don't often get to see adults pushing their boundaries and changing in kids' books. I think this book is meatier than it appears on the surface, and it resonates after one closes the covers. Recommended. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
This book could easily have begun and ended with, “I’m going to write a book that showcases the value of small business loans to women in developing countries!” Or, “I’m going to write another book about a girl finding herself and falling in love with her best guy friend, because there really aren’t enough books like that!”

Instead we get a javelin-throwing business owner, a little brother obsessed with bug collecting, a well-run orphanage that is not to be pitied, and an endearing love interest — plus flawed, lovable characters and some delicious, glowing descriptions of India, Indian fashion, and Indian FOOD! (Can Danita come to my house and make some tea for me, too?) It’s a warm, fuzzy book that it would be hard not to love. (Complete review at http://www.parenthetical.net/2010/05/26/monsoon-summer-by-mitali-perkins/) ( )
  SamMusher | Mar 30, 2013 |
For my beloved parents, Sailendra Nath and Madhusree Bose

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440238404, Mass Market Paperback)

ALA Popular Paperback For Young Adults

New York Public Library Books for the Teen Age

Bank Street Best Children's Books of the Year

Jasmine "Jazz" Gardner heads off to India during the monsoon season. The family trip is her mother's doing: Mrs. Gardner wants to volunteer at the orphanage that cared for her when she was young. But going to India isn't Jazz's idea of a great summer vacation. She wants no part of her mother's do-gooder endeavors.

What's more, Jazz is heartsick. She's leaving the business she and her best friend, Steve Morales, started--as well as Steve himself. Jazz is crazy in love with the guy. If only he knew!

Only when Jazz reluctantly befriends Danita, a girl who cooks for her family, and who faces a tough dilemma, does Jazz begin to see how she can make a difference--to her own family, to Danita, to the children at the orphanage, even to Steve. As India claims Jazz, the monsoon works its madness and its magic.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:50 -0400)

Secretly in love with her best friend and business partner Steve, fifteen-year-old Jazz must spend the summer away from him when her family goes to India during that country's rainy season to help set up a clinic.

Mitali Perkins is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,952,474 books! | Top bar: Always visible