Two Graves by Douglas Preston
Member:no1bookaddict
Title:Two Graves
Authors:Douglas Preston
Other authors:Lincoln Child
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 480 pages
Collections:Your library, Read

Two Graves by Douglas Preston

English (43)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (46)
Agent Pendergast has been the main subject of all these books and over the years he has dealt with his very dysfunctional family; an aunt who was an insane murderer, a brother that also was insane and and a murder, a 130 year old adopted daughter - so you can see insanity and murder is something he understands very well. In this installment he finds his dead wife to be not so dead and then finds she is very dead plus a couple of other real surprises. Through it all, Preston/Child once again brings a very interesting and suspenseful story to their fans. Great book! ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
I am so happy to be finished with this. I have never read any of the Pendergast series before and, from what I can tell from this one, you really don't need to in order to understand which ever one you pick up. It doesn't seem to build much on previous characters. Let me put it this way, I was never in the dark on anything except in the very beginning when they referred to the main character by two different names, but never really let you know that it was the same person. You figure it out later, and it all makes sense after that, but still. That bugged me.

All in all, I was not a fan of this in any way shape or form. There were too many sub-stories that took away from the main plot and really had very little to do with the main story to begin with. In my opinion, this is the epitome of a serial novel. By that, I mean a series that should have wrapped up long ago, but continues on because it has such a loyal fan base. The best compliment I could give this would be that the characters are well developed for the most part and are less than interesting, but far from boring.

Overall, I would not recommend this unless you desperately need a distraction on a long plane ride or a mindless novel to bring to the beach. It is your stereotypical, post WWII (modern era), Nazis are bad guys still trying to create their perfect race, novel. ( )
  cebellol | May 3, 2016 |
I like the opening quote:

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves." ~ Confucius

I might add:

"Before publishing a novel about embarking on a journey of revenge, hire a competent editor."

In fairness, this followed my reading of "The Man in the High Castle" by Philip K. Dick and that would be hard for anyone to go up against. In any case, if you have read every really good book ever published, then maybe this one is worth a go, otherwise, find something that was not cranked out without regard for literary intgegrity according to a repetitively succesful formula. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
Climax to the series was a little disappointing. ( )
  highlander6022 | Mar 16, 2016 |
I rather liked this one. I can't say much without spoilers, but Pendergast really faced some new personal challenges, and there were twists I didn't see coming. Well done. ( )
  Abby_Goldsmith | Feb 10, 2016 |

Douglas Prestonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lincoln Childmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Child, Lincolnsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Danchin, SebastianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lincoln Child dedicates this book to his daughter, Veronica.
Dougles Preston dedicates this book to Forrest Fenn.
The woman with the violet eyes walked slowly beneath the trees of Central Park, hands deep in the pockets of her trench coat.
The title of the novel is from a quote by Confucius that reads “Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.”

After his wife, Helen, is brazenly abducted before his eyes, Special Agent Pendergast furiously pursues the kidnappers, chasing them across the country and into Mexico. But then, things go terribly, tragically wrong; the kidnappers escape; and a shattered Pendergast retreats to his New York apartment and shuts out the world.
But when a string of bizarre murders erupts across several Manhattan hotels--perpetrated by a boy who seems to have an almost psychic ability to elude capture--NYPD Lieutenant D'Agosta asks his friend Pendergast for help. Reluctant at first, Pendergast soon discovers that the killings are a message from his wife's kidnappers. But why a message? And what does it mean?
When the kidnappers strike again at those closest to Pendergast, the FBI agent, filled anew with vengeful fury, sets out to track down and destroy those responsible. His journey takes him deep into the trackless forests of South America, where he ultimately finds himself face to face with an old evil that-rather than having been eradicated-is stirring anew... and with potentially world-altering consequences.
Confucius once said: "Before you embark on a journey of revenge, first dig two graves." Pendergast is about to learn the hard way just how true those words still ring.

Special Agent Pendergast assists NYPD Lieutenant D'Agosta in the investigation of a number of killings that ultimately prove to be messages from his wife's kidnappers.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,626,127 books! | Top bar: Always visible