Two Graves by Douglas Preston

Two Graves (edition 2012)

by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child

510None19,865 (3.79)16
Member:no1bookaddict
Title:Two Graves
Authors:Douglas Preston
Other authors:Lincoln Child
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 480 pages
Collections:Your library, Read

Two Graves by Douglas Preston

English (26)  Spanish (1)  All languages (27)
Well, I was not pleased with this particular installment. So many loose ends tied up with some over the top scenarios. Just wasn't what I had come to expect. Some very bright moments, but not as inspired as previous novels. Almost had the feel of a deadline our quota novel. ( )
  stevewhite71 | Mar 19, 2014 |
I'm getting less and less enthralled with the Pendergast series. Which essentially means I'm less enthralled with Pendergast himself. This is the third, and what I assume, final, book in the Helen trilogy.

"Two Graves" is in many ways three different stories. One story follows Pendergast and D'Agosta as they investigate harrowing murders in several NYC hotels. This then shifts to South America after a rather big reveal--which I won't divulge here. But the events in South America involve only Pendergast (and other, new characters) and not D'Agosta, who once again seems to be put on the sideline for much of the book (as does Laura Hayward).

The second story involves Corrie Swanson, a character first introduced back in "Still Life With Crows." This story line has little to do with the overall plot and I found it rather mundane and pointless. Which is disappointing because I loved the character and her interactions with Pendergast in the aforementioned book.

Finally, we follow Dr. Felder as he investigates Constance Green's past. As with the Corrie plot, there's not a lot of reason for this to be a part of the main book. If Preston/Child want to explore these characters further, maybe they should do so in stand-alone novels and not wrap them up in a Pendergast novel. The characters are obviously tied to Pendergast, but here, there's little to no interaction with him, so what's the point?

Not long after the big reveal, Pendergast goes into a major free fall; this is the most interesting part of the story for me. The special agent is always in control so to see him lose it so was quite interesting.

Preston and Child's knack for weaving a perceived supernatural thriller, with Pendergast and D'Agosta hot on the trail, has lost a great deal of steam over the last several books. I'm hoping they can find their stride again because I'm losing patience and faith in this series. ( )
2 vote Jarratt | Nov 12, 2013 |
En nu dus ook het, tot nu toe, laatste deel gelezen. Dit was een leuke afsluiting van deze Helen Pendergast trilogie. Echt een hele leuke serie en ik kijk uit naar het volgende boek in de Pendergast reeks. Ik wil ook nog de Gideon boeken lezen van dit duo en natuurlijk heb ik ook nog wat boeken ongelezen staan die dit duo afzonderlijk heeft geschreven. ( )
  Gea1967 | Sep 22, 2013 |
I think the authors are trying to pack in too many stories. I miss the supernatural stuff. I gave it 3 stars because it was still a fast action-packed read, but the Pendergast books are starting to lose their fascination. ( )
  klib315 | Aug 18, 2013 |
The 12th volume in the Aloysius Pendergast series of crime novels has our intrepid detective briefly reunited with his wife (thought long dead), and introduced to some loving teen-age sons he never knew he had. Of course, the joyous reunions is ruined by those damned Brazilian Nazis, but with a title like Two Graves, there has to be some reason to dig them in the first place. Additionally, we find out more about Constance's story, and Pendergast's student apprentice solves a case of her own, one involving her father and a scam at a car dealership.

As usual, the highlight is the reading by actor Rene Auberjonois. While I find these stories quite absurd, having them told by one of my favorite actors ads an entertainment factor that transcends the text itself. I haven't been reading them in order, but story lines arching across books are kept to a minimum. I've read enough of them now to get most of the references when they appear. If you're going to dive into this series, though, I would recommend doing so in order. ( )
  JeffV | Jul 7, 2013 |

Douglas Prestonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lincoln Childmain authorall editionsconfirmed
The title of the novel is from a quote by Confucius that reads “Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.”

After his wife, Helen, is brazenly abducted before his eyes, Special Agent Pendergast furiously pursues the kidnappers, chasing them across the country and into Mexico. But then, things go terribly, tragically wrong; the kidnappers escape; and a shattered Pendergast retreats to his New York apartment and shuts out the world.
But when a string of bizarre murders erupts across several Manhattan hotels--perpetrated by a boy who seems to have an almost psychic ability to elude capture--NYPD Lieutenant D'Agosta asks his friend Pendergast for help. Reluctant at first, Pendergast soon discovers that the killings are a message from his wife's kidnappers. But why a message? And what does it mean?
When the kidnappers strike again at those closest to Pendergast, the FBI agent, filled anew with vengeful fury, sets out to track down and destroy those responsible. His journey takes him deep into the trackless forests of South America, where he ultimately finds himself face to face with an old evil that-rather than having been eradicated-is stirring anew... and with potentially world-altering consequences.
Confucius once said: "Before you embark on a journey of revenge, first dig two graves." Pendergast is about to learn the hard way just how true those words still ring.

Special Agent Pendergast assists NYPD Lieutenant D'Agosta in the investigation of a number of killings that ultimately prove to be messages from his wife's kidnappers.

151 wanted5 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,415,847 books! | Top bar: Always visible