Two Graves by Douglas Preston
Other authors:Lincoln Child
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2013), Mass Market Paperback, 528 pages
Rating:*****

Two Graves by Douglas Preston

English (38)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (41)
This book is a great ending to the 3-book story arc involving Pendergast and his wife, Helen. As always I flew through this book with the greatest of ease, but this book was a bit more dynamic than the last couple books, more in the style of their earlier stories. This book went in directions I never expected and leaves room for additional story lines I can’t even imagine until the authors continue on another adventure with Agent Pendergast. I enjoyed the two separate side story lines that involved Constance Green and Corrie Swanson. These are two very interesting characters and it was great to keep in contact with them and their personal issues. This book is highly recommended to lovers of the Pendergast series. ( )
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
Two Graves by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
3.5 Stars

For twelve years, FBI Special Agent Aloysius Pendergast believed his young wife, Helen, died in an accident. Then he was told she'd been murdered. Now he discovers Helen is alive. Just as he finally finds her, their reunion is cut short when Helen is abducted by a sinister ex-Nazi group. Two Graves concludes the “Helen Trilogy” and follows Fever Dreams and Cold Vengeance. I would not recommend reading these out of order since there are a lot of woven threads from the two previous novels. Many of the cliffhangers from Cold Vengeance are picked up and concluded in Two Graves.

I love the Pendergast novels even though Aloyisius is out of control in the past couple of them. His mental state is clearly on edge after seeing Helen kidnapped and he becomes completely different from the Pendergast we've known over the years. There's a lot of impulsive action and not enough rationale thought which isn't like him. The plot involves neo Nazis working on genetic experiments in the Amazon jungle. I personally think this type of plot has been done numerous times but there is enough of a twist to this one that I forgave the authors. I kept wondering why Helen never told Aloysius about her past. Nevertheless there's a surprising twist that will give Pendergast a new direction in the future as well as a new villain we are bound to see again.

Two Graves has at least two other story lines that barely connect to the main plot. Corrie Swanson returns with her own side story. She finally meets her father and attempts to help him solve a problem that could put him in jail. In the second one we return to Constance and her story where some of the questions we had about her are answered. D'Agosta is backand there is some progress on his character.

I hope Preston/Childs give us a new Pendergast novel soon and they return to the elements that made the first books so good. I want to see Pendergast and D'Agosta working cases together as a team. I miss the cerebral, brooding Sherlockian Pendergast. I know both authors work on their own individual novels as well as their new character, Gideon Crew. I just hope they are not getting stretched too far because I would really miss all the characters in the Pendergast family.
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
Preston & Child con Pendergast sono una garanzia. ( )
  Angela.Me | Nov 9, 2015 |
Started today, January 16th, 2013.
Nazies. Oh, well, being a German myself, I can honestly say, they are still alive and well. But the storyline feels like a deja vu, the idea was put through the grinder way to often. Having read all the more or less fantastic books by both authors, their collaborations in the Pendergast-Series, their standalone books and the books written by each author alone, I guess they have reached the end here, this is not as much a page-turner, as the other ones (excepting the flawed lesser ones).
Now I have finished it, I must say, no more Nazis als villains! For that and because I think the story is not as good as some books about Pendergast before, 1 star less giving 4 instead of 5. Maybe it is me, being tired of Nazis and Pendergast. ( )
  Ingo.Lembcke | Oct 27, 2015 |

Douglas Prestonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lincoln Childmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Child, Lincolnsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Danchin, SebastianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lincoln Child dedicates this book to his daughter, Veronica.
Dougles Preston dedicates this book to Forrest Fenn.
The woman with the violet eyes walked slowly beneath the trees of Central Park, hands deep in the pockets of her trench coat.
The title of the novel is from a quote by Confucius that reads “Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.”

After his wife, Helen, is brazenly abducted before his eyes, Special Agent Pendergast furiously pursues the kidnappers, chasing them across the country and into Mexico. But then, things go terribly, tragically wrong; the kidnappers escape; and a shattered Pendergast retreats to his New York apartment and shuts out the world.
But when a string of bizarre murders erupts across several Manhattan hotels--perpetrated by a boy who seems to have an almost psychic ability to elude capture--NYPD Lieutenant D'Agosta asks his friend Pendergast for help. Reluctant at first, Pendergast soon discovers that the killings are a message from his wife's kidnappers. But why a message? And what does it mean?
When the kidnappers strike again at those closest to Pendergast, the FBI agent, filled anew with vengeful fury, sets out to track down and destroy those responsible. His journey takes him deep into the trackless forests of South America, where he ultimately finds himself face to face with an old evil that-rather than having been eradicated-is stirring anew... and with potentially world-altering consequences.
Confucius once said: "Before you embark on a journey of revenge, first dig two graves." Pendergast is about to learn the hard way just how true those words still ring.

Special Agent Pendergast assists NYPD Lieutenant D'Agosta in the investigation of a number of killings that ultimately prove to be messages from his wife's kidnappers.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 102,994,137 books! | Top bar: Always visible