Two Graves by Douglas Preston

Two Graves (edition 2013)

by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child

Info:Grand Central Publishing (2013), Mass Market Paperback, 528 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:audio book

Two Graves by Douglas Preston

English (30)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (33)
Six-word review: Personally motivated, Pendergast goes into overdrive.

Extended review:

The conclusion of the "Helen" trilogy is more like a B movie than most of the others I've read so far in the Pendergast series (this is number 12). It boasts a full complement of murder, mystery, and mayhem, maybe even overfull. Special Agent Pendergast must overcome a Holmes-like malaise and launch himself into a remote destination in order to penetrate the heart of a dastardly Nazi plot for world domination. Special effects include not only bursts of gore and hails of bullets but violent explosions and, yes, flight and pursuit through dark, watery underground tunnels.

We meet hitherto unknown members of Pendergast's family, learn the full extent of the terrible secrets his late wife had concealed from him, and discover an aspect of Pendergast's character that has not been seen before.

There are also a couple of bizarre subplots that one might expect to see come together at some point, but they don't. Fodder for future episodes, I'm guessing.

All this crazed adventure is borderline corny, verging on self-parody; and yet by now I know the series well enough to regard it as just part of the fun. Despite some superficial (and probably not accidental) similarities to Sherlock Holmes, Aloysius Pendergast is more like a Bruce Willis action-movie character, albeit with a heaping dose of class and a limitless bankroll.

I'm still following.

I'd just like to whisper an aside to the authors: No, I'm not expecting literature when I read your books; but please go look up "nexus" in the dictionary and stop using it as if it meant "crux." Also please use the search function to notice how many instances you have of someone or something "sporting" something, as in "The village sported stuccoed buildings" (page 344), "most sported classic Nordic looks" (page 346), and "Many of the buildings sported window boxes" (page 347), and replace at least half of them. (You might also check the frequency of "gingerly.") And while I'm at it, I'm tired of seeing "dogleg" (or "doglegged") in place of "corner" or "angle."

That's all. Thank you. Carry on. ( )
1 vote Meredy | Mar 1, 2015 |
I got an email yesterday (I'm on a Preston and Child mailing list) informing me that the third book in the Helen series, from the Aloysius Pendergast books, would not be out until December because of their publisher (I believe it was supposed to be released much earlier). So, to thank us for their reader's patience, every month or so they are sending out links to two chapters that we can read, until "Two Graves" is finally released.

Pendergast is a favorite character of mine, and I quickly formated the pdf so I could read it on my phone. I can't wait to get the entire book. I'm also looking forward to future tales about Constance Greene - she is quite a mystery...

Anyway, this book will be on my "reading" list for quite a while, as it will take the rest of the year to read, chapter by chapter...! :-)
  KVHardy | Jan 2, 2015 |
The previous two books in the "Helen" trilogi wasn't the best ones Preston and Child has written but this last book was not really good and I loved Corrie in "Still Life with Crows", but I don't understand the point with the subplot with her. ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 11, 2014 |
The 12th in the Pendergast series. Sadly, the series is declining in interest. The Heleniad, his wife's history, is more rote genre with the action and plot details less interesting than earlier books. I think the character and the series is becoming sterile and a bit predictable. Pendergast no longer has the depth and unpredictability that made him interesting in previous books. ( )
  Crotchetymama | Jul 20, 2014 |
Another great entry in the Pendergast series.

Extremely painful to see him constantly fail and hit rock bottom, yet somehow it was also refreshing as he is usually several steps ahead of everyone and always at the top of his game. The past few books have certainly taken a psychological toll on Special Agent Pendergast, especially the events that open this book.

I wonder how much more the authors can throw at this guy and keep him sane enough to still be a viable protaganist. Yes, he takes things in stride and eventually overcomes the challenges thrown at him ... but good grief! Good thing this is fiction!

The Agent Pendergast series is good stuff!
  kevbayer | Jun 20, 2014 |

Douglas Prestonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lincoln Childmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Child, Lincolnsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Danchin, SebastianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lincoln Child dedicates this book to his daughter, Veronica.
Dougles Preston dedicates this book to Forrest Fenn.
The woman with the violet eyes walked slowly beneath the trees of Central Park, hands deep in the pockets of her trench coat.
The title of the novel is from a quote by Confucius that reads “Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.”

After his wife, Helen, is brazenly abducted before his eyes, Special Agent Pendergast furiously pursues the kidnappers, chasing them across the country and into Mexico. But then, things go terribly, tragically wrong; the kidnappers escape; and a shattered Pendergast retreats to his New York apartment and shuts out the world.
But when a string of bizarre murders erupts across several Manhattan hotels--perpetrated by a boy who seems to have an almost psychic ability to elude capture--NYPD Lieutenant D'Agosta asks his friend Pendergast for help. Reluctant at first, Pendergast soon discovers that the killings are a message from his wife's kidnappers. But why a message? And what does it mean?
When the kidnappers strike again at those closest to Pendergast, the FBI agent, filled anew with vengeful fury, sets out to track down and destroy those responsible. His journey takes him deep into the trackless forests of South America, where he ultimately finds himself face to face with an old evil that-rather than having been eradicated-is stirring anew... and with potentially world-altering consequences.
Confucius once said: "Before you embark on a journey of revenge, first dig two graves." Pendergast is about to learn the hard way just how true those words still ring.

Special Agent Pendergast assists NYPD Lieutenant D'Agosta in the investigation of a number of killings that ultimately prove to be messages from his wife's kidnappers.

151 wanted7 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,244,516 books! | Top bar: Always visible