God Don't Make No Mistakes by Mary Monroe

God Don't Make No Mistakes (edition 2012)

by Mary Monroe

God Don't Make No Mistakes by Mary Monroe

eviewed by: Amie Lou
Book provided by: Publisher
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

When I cracked open this book, I expected an inspirational story of strife and longing, a change of heart. A book that when I put it down I would say to myself, ‘How incredible.’ And I would walk around for days thinking and mulling over the profound instances that happened between those pages. Instead, I got a story about people I couldn’t identify with and sparks of inspiration buried deep within the crazy lives of Annette and Rhoda.

I’ve known women like Rhoda and Annette. Women who fly off the handle and do things like have cat-fights with their daughters on the front porch in broad daylight. Have affairs behind their husbands’ backs–and with his best friend–and somehow convince themselves that it’s perfectly okay. Not necessarily women I would want to be friends with.

Annette is currently separated from her husband, but still seeing him on the side along with two other men. She has a daughter Charlotte (12) who has an intense but undisclosed problem with the new neighbor. Annette’s best friend, Rhoda has a tub full of troubles of her own with her grown daughter. But when Annette finds out that husband Pee Wee’s new girl is pregnant, a scramble for the truth begins. Is the baby Pee Wee’s or another man’s?

I considered Annette too caught up in her own life (and that of her best friend) to pay enough attention to her daughter. Only when Charlotte runs away does anyone listen to her complaints about the neighbor. Neglectful parenting sets my teeth on edge.

Though well-written, I had trouble relating to characters in God Don’t Make No Mistakes. Their actions, reasoning, and behaviors were not commendable. Maybe because I’ve had some experience with the CBA and expected a book pegged as inspirational to be… well, inspirational. To contain upstanding characters with flaws but not quite so rough around the edges.

That is not to say that this book would not have appeal to other readers. But unfortunately it was not my cup of tea. ( )
  RtB | Jan 22, 2013 |
Great story of friendship, family relationships and the pros and cons of keeping secrets. This story has it all. It is a thought provoking novel that I would recomend. ( )
  Ozedasgirl | May 30, 2012 |

Best friends Annette and Rhoda find their lives in turmoil as Annette tries to balance her new found love life as she tries to reconcile with her husband Pee Wee and discovers a devastating secret while Rhoda must deal with her daughter Jade, whose antics lead Rhoda to throw her out of the house.… (more)

9 wanted2 pay1 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,392,625 books! | Top bar: Always visible