Never Tell by Alafair Burke

Never Tell (edition 2012)

by Alafair Burke

Member:zoomball
Title:Never Tell
Authors:Alafair Burke
Info:AVON, a division of HarperCollins Publishers Ltd (2012), Paperback
Collections:Mysteries/thrillers/crime
Rating:**

Never Tell by Alafair Burke

This audiobook kept me entertained on a long trip. I'm a fairly new fan of Alafair Burke and this is my second book of hers that I've read. I really like the character of Ellie Hatcher and look forward to reading the rest of the books in this series. I've recently bought a signed edition of her newest, The Ex, and am looking forward to reading that as soon I can get through the stack of 15 library books next to my chair! ( )
  Dianekeenoy | Apr 4, 2016 |
*snooze* I just couldn't get into this book… I was expecting a page-turner, but for me, at least, it was a slog to get through. ( )
  AmyCahillane | Feb 24, 2016 |
In Never Tell, the latest release from crime novelist Alafair Burke, NYPD detective Ellie Hatcher is called upon to investigate the possible suicide of a sixteen year-old girl. Although there is no evidence of foul play, the girl's mother is adamant that her daughter would never take her own life. While Ellie believes the case to be a simple one, she and her partner Rogan are compelled by the NYPD brass to investigate further. As Ellie delves deeper into the privileged life of the victim and her circle of friends, she soon realizes that not everything about this case is as straightforward as it seems. Is this case a suicide as initially thought, or is it something else?

While Never Tell is the fourth installment in Burke's Ellie Hatcher series, it is the first Burke novel I've had the pleasure of reading. I was impressed not only by the strength of Burke's writing, but also with the development of the novel's characters and plot. Never Tell is a smart thriller, one in which the investigation at the centre of the plot moves logically and plausibly. Furthermore, the ultimate resolution to the investigation is not obvious, leaving the reader guessing until the final pages. Although I don't generally read books in a series out of order, at no point in this novel did I feel my understanding of Ellie's back story to be hampered by the fact I haven't yet read the earlier Ellie Hatcher books. As such, even though the novel is part of a series, it can be read and enjoyed as a stand-alone.

If you enjoy the mystery/crime genre and haven't yet given Alafair Burke's novels a try, I recommend you do so. In fact, I enjoyed this novel so much that I've already bought the other three books in the series.

Note: I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review. ( )
  Melissa_J | Jan 16, 2016 |
I honestly didn't love this one as much as I did the previous three Ellie Hatcher novels. I think there were too many plots and sub plots to keep track of and as a result, some of the narrative got lost. I didn't care for her regular use of "x weeks later" rather than covering, for example, Casey Heinz' time in jail. The final twists with Adrienne jumped the shark a bit too much for my liking.

Too much Ellie in one week for me? Maybe. ( )
  skinglist | Dec 20, 2015 |
I think is author is a new favorite author of mine. I couldn't put the book down. I need to see what else she has written! ( )
  sandra.k.heinzman | Apr 2, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061999164, Hardcover)

Sixteen-year-old Julia Whitmire appeared to have everything: a famous father, a luxurious Manhattan town house, a coveted spot at the elite Casden prep school. When she is found dead in her bathtub, a handwritten suicide note left on her bed, her parents insist that their daughter would never take her own life.

But Julia's enviable world was more complicated than it seemed. The pressure to excel at Casden was enormous. Abuse of prescription antidepressants and ADHD medication ran rampant among students; an unlabeled bottle of pills in Julia's purse suggests she had succumbed to the trend. And a search of Julia's computer reveals that in the days leading up to her death she was engaged in a dangerous game of cyberbullying against an unlikely victim.

NYPD detective Ellie Hatcher is convinced the case is a suicide, but she knows from personal experience that a loving family can be the last to accept the truth. When the Whitmires use their power to force a criminal investigation, Ellie's resistance causes trouble for her both at work and in her personal life. As she is pressured to pursue a case she doesn't believe in, she is pulled into Julia's inner circle—an eclectic mix of overly precocious teenagers from Manhattan's most privileged families as well as street kids from Greenwich Village. But when the target of Julia's harassment continues to receive death threats, Ellie is forced to acknowledge that Julia may have learned the hard way that some secrets should never be told.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:29 -0400)

While investigating the suicide of sixteen-year-old Julia Whitmire, whose famous parents believe that she was murdered, NYPD Detective Ellie Hatcher discovers that Julia was engaged in a dangerous game of cyberbullying against an unlikely victim.

31 wanted2 pay9 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,896,462 books! | Top bar: Always visible