The Lost: A Search for Six of Six Million by…

The Lost: A Search for Six of Six Million (2006)

by Daniel Mendelsohn

English (27)  Dutch (3)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Greek (1)  All languages (34)
Lee Child sums up "The Lost" better than I could:
"The words “truly great book” set a very high bar, don’t they, in the context of the last couple of centuries. Therefore I’d have to pick “The Lost,” by Daniel Mendelsohn. Nonfiction, but only incidentally. It’s a memoir, a Holocaust story, a detective story, both a rumination on and an analysis of narrative technique, a work of Old Testament and ancient Greek historiography, and a work of awful, heartbreaking, tragic suspense. A book of the decade, easily, and likely a book of the century."
Amen. ( )
  HenryKrinkle | Jul 23, 2014 |
A fascinating (albeit long) true story of a man's search for information about six lost relatives killed during the Holocaust. ( )
  limamikealpha | Jun 5, 2014 |
wishlist
  cavlibrary | Jan 28, 2014 |
"The Lost" goes on my "20 best books I have ever read" list. I will have to displace something else to put it there, but its depth and power demand a place.
Daniel Mendelsohn tells the story of his search for information regarding the fate of his great-uncle, and that uncle's wife and 4 daughters. The family knew that all 6 had perished in The Holocaust, but they had no details. They were not only lost to the family, but their humanity and their stories, were also "lost."
Mendelsohn sets out to find the facts about their deaths, and this books recounts that search. But it does very much more than that.
Constructed as a memoir, a detective story, a meditation on life and on the Torah, full of pain and life-altering coincidence, this book is a marvel. The writer's voice is compelling, and concrete, yet he deals in and with shadows, rumors, whispered confidences, secrets, lies and confusion.
Sorrow, loss, identity, grief and joy all comingle in this masterwork. Who are we? Who is our family? Where do we come from? How does our living and our dying impact our descendants? How can we recover those we have lost?
I could not put this book down. Page by page, chapter by chapter, Mendelsohn peels back layers of history and time, memory and forgetfulness, until at last we know what happened to the six. And in the process of following Mendelsohn's search, we ourselves are changed. ( )
2 vote Kathleen828 | Jun 23, 2013 |
I don't have the concentration for this now. I'll try again later.
  JG_IntrovertedReader | Apr 3, 2013 |

Daniel Mendelsohnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vlek, RonaldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Frances Begley and Sarah Pettit
sunt lacrimae rerum
Some time ago, when I was six or seven or eight years old, it would occasionally happen that I'd walk into a room and certain people would begin to cry.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060542993, Paperback)

Daniel Mendelsohn's The Lost is the deeply personal account of a search for one family among his larger family, the one barely spoken of, only to say they were "killed by the Nazis." Mendelsohn, even as a boy, was always the one interested in his family's history, but when he came upon a set of letters from his great uncle Schmiel, pleading for help from his American relatives as the Nazi grip on the lives of Jews in their Polish town became tighter and tighter, he set out to find what had happened to that lost family. The result is both memoir and history, an ambitious and gorgeously meditative detective story that takes him across the globe in search of the lost threads of these few almost forgotten lives.

A whole culture lies behind the story Mendelsohn tells, and a lifetime of reading as well. For our Grownup School feature, he has given us a tour of some of the books behind his own, in a list he calls 10 Great Novels of Family History, the Holocaust, New York Jewish Life (And Other Things That Helped Me Write My Book). And you can watch his own moving introduction to the book in this short video:

Watch Daniel Mendelsohn introduce The Lost: high bandwidth or low bandwidth

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:55 -0400)

The author describes how his family was haunted by the disappearance of six relatives during the Holocaust and how he embarked on a determined search to find the remaining eyewitnesses to his lost ancestors' fates.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,284,428 books! | Top bar: Always visible