Blind Space by Marie Sexton

Blind Space (edition 2012)

by Marie Sexton

Member:maybedog
Title:Blind Space
Authors:Marie Sexton
Info:Silver Publishing (2012), Kindle Edition, 127 pages
Tags:what-male-protagonist, what-m-m-to-read, how-ebook, yes

Blind Space by Marie Sexton

3.5 stars

An entertaining way to spend a couple of hours. ( )
  Ele.na | Jun 8, 2018 |
There are several reasons why I was attracted to this book, and they (plus some others) are also why I ended up liking it a lot. First: pirates. Need I say more? I have a certain fascination with them, be they the “traditional” seagoing kind or, in this case, the spacefaring variety. There is something daring about them, and I have always thought the morality of what they do lies in the eye of the beholder. This story proves exactly that point. Second: science fiction. One of my favorite genres, so anything set in space (that doesn’t sound too stupid when I read the blurb) will automatically attract my attention. Third: a captor who tries to seduce the man in his power rather than just take what he wants – I find that very sexy. So, all in all, I had many good reasons to read this story – and was not disappointed by the events unfolding right after the opening pages and initial introductions, all needed to understand the situation.

Tristan is a military man, one who likes to follow orders, and even though he doesn’t like having to “service” his prince whenever the man wants a bedwarmer, the rest of Tristan’s existence is pretty easy. Promoted to captain of the guard at a young age, he has never faced combat, and never really thought about loyalty and whether the masters he serves, the somewhat nebulous but clearly powerful “Regency”, are worthy of his devotion. He very quickly gets that opportunity when pirates board the ship he is on and take everyone prisoner. Not only does Tristan have to figure out where his loyalty should go, but whether the man who tries to seduce him, one of his captors, deserves more than a “no” very time he approaches Tristan with increasingly tempting offers. Tristan’s gradual awakening to reality was wonderful to watch, and I loved seeing him grow into the man he is at the end of the story. The conflict between what he was raised to believe and what he is experiencing on the pirates’ ship is significant, and it takes a lot of thinking ad courage for him to decide whom he will side with.

Valero may seem like just your ordinary space pirate at first glance, but the way he behaves, the way his men stand with him, and the back story that slowly unfolds as Tristan gets to know him made me think there is a lot more to him than I first suspected. And while they wait for the Regency to pay the ransom demanded by the pirates, I slowly grew to like and respect Valero as much as Tristan. Luckily, Tristan did the same. Valero is an amazing man, and he deserves every ounce of loyalty his men, and ultimately Tristan, give him.

This story is action-packed and tense almost to the last page with a final scene that had me smiling. The play on words with the title referring to both the area of space the pirates operate in and the physical temporary blindness Tristan experiences is very clever too! If you like pirates of any kind, give this book a try. If you’re looking for a read full of emotion, treason, conflict, and strong men as well as those who are still working to reach their potential, this will be for you. And if you like your romance with a healthy helping of danger, tension, and lots of seduction and heat, then you will probably like this novella as much as I did.

NOTE: This book was provided by the author for the purpose of a review on Rainbow Book Reviews. ( )
  SerenaYates | Oct 19, 2017 |
SciFi M/M books are not my normal fare, so this was well outside my comfort zone. I want to start expanding my horizons and Blind Space was a favorite of many friends and lots of folks here at Good Reads.

I did enjoy this book, but I didn't love it. And I really think the reason I didn't love it was because it was scifi. It was too... weird for me. If that makes any sense. And it doesn't make any sense to me either because as far as TV and movies go, I'm a self professed SciFi geek! My favorites shows have included Stargate SG1, (serious Jack/Sam 'shipper here) The X-Files (Mulder/Scully 'shipper), Stargate Atlantis, STTNG, STTOS, Voyager and I could go on. But reading SciFi has never been my thing.

I liked Trisian and Valero, but I wasn't able to fall in love with them like I can with some of the other M/M book MCs that grab me at times. And the whole setting on the ship just left me feeling cold and depressed during the whole book. And I really did feel like Stockholm syndrome was happening to poor Captain Kelley!

What a bummer, because I wanted to love this. I did love some parts. The sex was hot, but I just didn't feel the connection between the 2 MCs until the very end of the book.

But I'm not giving up on SciFi! I even created a SciFi shelf. Onward and upward. ( )
  gigi9988776 | Aug 25, 2014 |
If you are looking for a romantic adventure set in outer space, you don’t want to miss this book, which delivers an exciting blend of eroticism and suspense through the popular theme of captor-and-captive falling in love. I especially enjoyed the stoic, everyman quality of the first-person narrator.

Tristan, a soldier who serves a corrupt empire, knows he is just a cog in the machine, and it grounds the story in realism. In glimpses, we readers can piece together the effects of colonization, which force people like his captors to become space pirates. Both Tristan (who is resourceful and disciplined) and his captor Valero (compassionate and principled) are likable.

The eroticism comes in three layers. First, Tristan, who is temporarily blind (a common side effect of the weapons used by the boarding pirates), experiences Valero’s seduction through his other senses. Second, is his slow surrender. Third, is an unusual kink on his part that Valero discovers and indulges. This sexy space opera is a treat.

Tristan’s adventure begins when pirates board his ship and take the temporarily blind crew members and passengers prisoner to hold them for ransom. He is a soldier acting as a bodyguard (and sex toy) for a spoiled prince, whom he dislikes. His captor Valero seems principled and charismatic. However, he feels duty-bound to resist Valero’s persistent, yet courtly, seductions. As he struggles with his guilt and desire, he wonders what future can be possible for an outlaw pirate and a servant of the empire. Meanwhile, he knows there must be a traitor among the prisoners who gave the pirates the boarding code they initially needed. Whom can he trust?

Val for AReCafe ( )
  AReCafe | May 23, 2014 |
Sexy pirates, Mohawks, and tattoos. what's not to like. 3.75 stars ( )
  Penny01 | Feb 1, 2014 |

Marie Sexton is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,013,757 books! | Top bar: Always visible