The wave by Todd Strasser

The wave (original 1981; edition 1981)

by Todd Strasser

Member:dastevens
Title:The wave
Authors:Todd Strasser
Info:New York : Dell, 2005, c1981.
Tags:based on real events, war/war's effects, Holocaust, academia/boarding school, YA

The Wave by Todd Strasser (1981)

Nothing by Janne Teller (kaledrina)
    The Gardener by S.A. Bodeen (kaledrina)
    Ten Rallies by Pasquin (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Telling examples of group dynamics and how they can have unintended consequences.

English (30)  French (5)  Spanish (1)  All languages (36)
I simply loved how the teacher became just as absorbed in the madness as his students. But I felt that it ended too abruptly, I wanted the know what the students went through after 'The Wave' disbanded and the psychological issues they then had to face. ( )
  GeekyLibraryGirl | Jul 28, 2016 |
"In spring 1967, in Palo Alto, California, history teacher Ron Jones conducted an experiment with his class of 15-year-olds to sample the experience of the attraction and rise of the Nazis in Germany before World War II. In a matter of days the experiment began to get out of control, as those attracted to the movement became aggressive zealots and the rigid rules invited confusion and chaos... The original experiment was named "The Third Wave" and occurred at Cubberley Senior High School in Palo Alto, California, in March/April 1967. Teacher Ron Jones wrote a short story about the experience that was published in spring 1976. This was followed by a TV movie ("The Wave") by famed producer Norman Lear on October 4, 1981. The subsequent 1981 book "The Wave" is a novelization of the Lear movie, and was written by Todd Strasser (aka Morton Rhue)." http://www.thewavehome.com/

I remembered seeing a movie/documentary about this at school in the 1980s so when my daughter brought 'The Wave' home from school it sounded familiar so I read the book. I thought it was well done, a book that teens could get through relatively quickly whilst understanding the concepts and deepening their understanding of Nazi Germany. ( )
  DebbieMcCauley | May 26, 2016 |
I'm not quite sure why I've heard good things about this one. It does tell an important story about the dangers of mindless group-think but it could have been written much better. It's not good when you are reading something and it reminds you of stories you wrote during your own school days.

One things that really bothers me about books written for teens is that some, including this one, write in a style that is too simplistic. Thankfully the assumption that teens aren't able to understand more sophisticated styles is slowly being overturned. Much like Ally Condie (please don't flame me saying that her series is awful, it's definitely better written than this) did a retelling of The Giver, I hope that someone can one day take this idea and retell it with with more compelling characters and hopefully a bit more dramatic tension. ( )
  plaeski | Dec 16, 2014 |
This was an easy read considering the size. I feel that it took a while to get interesting and as I read it was almost like a roller-coaster, going from fascinating to dull. I did learn quite a lot from it though so I'm glad that I read it. And when I was at an interesting part, I couldn't put the book down. I was stuck between 3 and 4 stars but just decided to put three, probably because I wasn't crazy about the ending and the endings are my favorite parts. ( )
  ddanibell98 | Apr 12, 2013 |
Powerful true story that shows what happens when a school teacher tries to help his history class understand the power of 'belonging'. From learning about the Third Reich the teenagers go to establishing a movement that will take on a life of its own and fight back against anyone who dares to threaten it. Scary - especially as it's based on fact. ( )
  Goldengrove | Apr 12, 2013 |
Laurie Sanders sat in the publications office at Gordon High School chewing on the end of a Bic pen. She was a pretty girl with short light-brown hair and an almost perpetual smile that only disappeared when she was upset or chewing on Bic pens. Lately, she'd been chewing on a lot of pens. In fact, there wasn't a single pen or pencil in her pocketbook that wasn't worn down on the butt end from nervous gnawing. Still, it beat smoking.

Laurie isn't sure what to make of 'The Wave'. It had begun as a simple history experiment to liven up their World War II studies and had become a craze that was taking over their lives. Laurie's classmates were changing from normal teenagers into chanting, saluting fanatics. 'The Wave' was sweeping through the school - and it was out of control. Laurie's friends scoff at her warnings but she knows she must make them see what they have become before it's too late. Based on a nightmarish true episode in a Californian high school.

The powerful forces of group pressure that pervaded many historic movements such as Nazism are recreated in the classroom when history teacher Burt Ross introduces a "new" system to his students. And before long "The Wave," with its rules of "strength through discipline, community, and action, " sweeps from the classroom through the entire school. And as most of the students join the movement, Laurie Saunders and David Collins recognize the frightening momentum of "The Wave" and realize they must stop it before it's too late.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:14 -0400)

A high school experiment to test social interaction backfires when an elitist group is formed. What starts as an innocent experiment brings terror to a high school. The Wave is based on a true incident that occured in a high school history class in Palo Alto, California, in 1969. The powerful forces of group pressure that pervaded many historic movements such as Nazism are recreated in the classroom when history teacher Burt Ross introduces a "new" system to his students. And before long The Wave, with its rules of "strength through discipline, community, and action," sweeps from the classroom through the entire school. And as most of the students join the movement, Laurie Saunders and David Collins recognize the frightening momentum of The Wave and realize they must stop it before it's too late.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,225,514 books! | Top bar: Always visible