The wave by Todd Strasser

The wave (original 1981; edition 1981)

by Todd Strasser

1,310None6,009 (3.46)22
Member:dastevens
Title:The wave
Authors:Todd Strasser
Info:New York : Dell, 2005, c1981.
Tags:based on real events, war/war's effects, Holocaust, academia/boarding school, YA

The Wave by Todd Strasser (1981)

Recently added bymatina17, art266, pizzigotti, lluisanglada, private library, LostAlone, LisandraB, erielle, JaniceO
dictatorship (9) experiments (29) fascism (48) fiction (78) German (19) high school (13) historical fiction (11) history (13) Holocaust (29) Nazi (8) Nazis (11) Nazism (29) non-fiction (19) novel (21) peer pressure (12) politics (10) psychology (11) read (17) realistic fiction (14) Roman (11) school (55) society (13) sociology (9) teen (8) totalitarianism (13) USA (10) WWII (18) YA (25) young adult (36) young adult fiction (9)
    Nothing by Janne Teller (kaledrina)
    The Gardener by S.A. Bodeen (kaledrina)
    Ten Rallies by Pasquin (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Telling examples of group dynamics and how they can have unintended consequences.

English (32)  French (5)  All languages (37)
This was an easy read considering the size. I feel that it took a while to get interesting and as I read it was almost like a roller-coaster, going from fascinating to dull. I did learn quite a lot from it though so I'm glad that I read it. And when I was at an interesting part, I couldn't put the book down. I was stuck between 3 and 4 stars but just decided to put three, probably because I wasn't crazy about the ending and the endings are my favorite parts. ( )
  ddanibell98 | Apr 12, 2013 |
Powerful true story that shows what happens when a school teacher tries to help his history class understand the power of 'belonging'. From learning about the Third Reich the teenagers go to establishing a movement that will take on a life of its own and fight back against anyone who dares to threaten it. Scary - especially as it's based on fact. ( )
  Goldengrove | Apr 12, 2013 |
A compelling story about how Nazi Germany could have been created--how the minority controlled the majority, and how the majority allowed themselves to be controlled. It's based on the true story of The Third Wave experiment, which demonstrated fascism as a part of teaching about WWII.

But the writing of this book. Oh, the writing. It hurts. It should be noted that in tiny print on the copyright page, it does note that this is a novelization of a teleplay that was an adaptation of the original teacher's essay about the experiment. Once you're that far removed, I'm not sure it's possible to write a good book, but oh, the writing is just bad. And I can also make some allowances for it being 1981 when he wrote it. The second sentence of the book is "She was a pretty girl with short light-brown hair and an almost perpetual smile that only disappeared when she was upset or chewing on Bic pens." (Sentence 1 established that she was, in fact, chewing on a Bic pen.) And the whole book sounds like that.

It's a valuable book for a curriculum, but I do wish we could have students read the original essay instead, just as a matter of literary quality. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 29, 2013 |
I'm not sure how much I believe the "this really happened!" aspect, but it's presented in such a logical way I can easily see how it COULD happen. A very eerie book with good characters.
I highly recommend Die Welle. Very different from the book, but very good in its own way. ( )
  benuathanasia | Sep 9, 2012 |
Cette histoire est basée sur une expérience réelle qui a eu lieu aux Etats-Unis dans les années 1970. Pour faire comprendre les mécanismes du nazisme à ses élèves, Ben Ross, professeur d'histoire, crée un mouvement expérimental au slogan fort : ' La Force par la Discipline, la Force par la Communauté, la Force par l'Action. ' En l'espace de quelques jours, l'atmosphère du paisible lycée californien se transforme en microcosme totalitaire : avec une docilité effrayante, les élèves abandonnent leur libre arbitre pour répondre aux ordres de leur nouveau leader, lui-même totalement pris par son personnage. Quel choc pourra être assez violent pour réveiller leurs consciences et mettre fin à la démonstration? Biographie de l'auteur Todd Strasser, né en 1950, est new-yorkais. Il a publié de nombreux romans traduits dans plus d'une douzaine de langues. La Vague est parue en 2008 chez Jean-Claude Gawsewitch Éditeur. Vendu à plus d' 1,5 million d'exemplaires en Europe, le livre a été adapté au cinéma.
  PierreYvesMERCIER | Feb 19, 2012 |
Laurie Sanders sat in the publications office at Gordon High School chewing on the end of a Bic pen. She was a pretty girl with short light-brown hair and an almost perpetual smile that only disappeared when she was upset or chewing on Bic pens. Lately, she'd been chewing on a lot of pens. In fact, there wasn't a single pen or pencil in her pocketbook that wasn't worn down on the butt end from nervous gnawing. Still, it beat smoking.

Laurie isn't sure what to make of 'The Wave'. It had begun as a simple history experiment to liven up their World War II studies and had become a craze that was taking over their lives. Laurie's classmates were changing from normal teenagers into chanting, saluting fanatics. 'The Wave' was sweeping through the school - and it was out of control. Laurie's friends scoff at her warnings but she knows she must make them see what they have become before it's too late. Based on a nightmarish true episode in a Californian high school.

The powerful forces of group pressure that pervaded many historic movements such as Nazism are recreated in the classroom when history teacher Burt Ross introduces a "new" system to his students. And before long "The Wave," with its rules of "strength through discipline, community, and action, " sweeps from the classroom through the entire school. And as most of the students join the movement, Laurie Saunders and David Collins recognize the frightening momentum of "The Wave" and realize they must stop it before it's too late.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:36 -0400)

A high school experiment to test social interaction backfires when an elitist group is formed. What starts as an innocent experiment brings terror to a high school. The Wave is based on a true incident that occured in a high school history class in Palo Alto, California, in 1969. The powerful forces of group pressure that pervaded many historic movements such as Nazism are recreated in the classroom when history teacher Burt Ross introduces a "new" system to his students. And before long The Wave, with its rules of "strength through discipline, community, and action," sweeps from the classroom through the entire school. And as most of the students join the movement, Laurie Saunders and David Collins recognize the frightening momentum of The Wave and realize they must stop it before it's too late.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,473,932 books! | Top bar: Always visible